[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Well, they said late February and today is the last business day of February so I guess it will be March.

No new build in February it looks like, I'm guessing they might release a new build after their GDC and MWC events either Monday or Tuesday.

No new build in February it looks like, I'm guessing they might release a new build after their GDC and MWC events either Monday or Tuesday.

I'm betting Monday. Of course i'm not actually going to hand over any money...

Those are some odd concepts. Not sure I like Cortana hiding in the corner like that.

That clock area is a mess too. I like to glance quickly at the clock to see the time, not to see a life history of the earth as we know it.

• Like 1

Cortana being part of the start menu window/UI makes the most sense to me. While having it and the notification center together saves space, they don't really fit in the same place. You go to notifications to see past events, you go to Cortana to look for something now or set it for a future event, one is past the other is present and future event wise.

Hitting the windows key and just typing away is the best option for Cortana.

Ian W. - the article could very easily have been written about Vista; one-third negative hype and one-third unwillingness to leave the comfort of XP.  Of the hardware known to have had issues with Vista at launch, how much of the actual installed hardware base was active and running - with the problem hardware in place?

Then there is the issue of most (though not all) of the honest complaints center specifically around the lack of a Start menu.  However, nobody (among the critics) has much positive to say about the menu itself other than it's familiar  Sounds like a cross between "Shallow Hal" and Learned Hand.  (To paraphrase one of the most controversial jurists in all law, "I can't say objectively what is bad, but I know what IS bad when I see or hear about it.")  Subjectivity AND misrememberance, combined with nostalgia - yeesh!

Cortana being part of the start menu window/UI makes the most sense to me. While having it and the notification center together saves space, they don't really fit in the same place. You go to notifications to see past events, you go to Cortana to look for something now or set it for a future event, one is past the other is present and future event wise.

Hitting the windows key and just typing away is the best option for Cortana.

Yup. I think this concept is inspired from iOS' pull down screen which I truly hate.

George P. - that is also the way to use the non-Cortana Search metric (for the StartScreen/AppScreen, mini-Start, and un-Cortana-related searching), which needs to be kept separated from Cortana.  If possible, I'd prefer a Cortana bar (similar to the Address Bar, but replacing it) as an option; I want the keyboard-driven Search (as it debuted in 8) to remain.

Speaking of Search - the fact that keyboard-driven Search has been so readily dismissed actually horks me off.  The fact that the StartScreen and AppScreen are so easily Searchable - and using the keyboard - has been basically pooh-poohed.  What I want to know is *why*.  It's harder to do using touch - and can't be done at all via pointing device without major reliance on mark one mod zero human eyeball.  Keyboard?  Depressingly easy.  (Keyboard-driven Search helped make - at least for me - the Start menu - and organization thereof - completely irrelevant.)  And it doesn't matter one bit HOW big the AppScreen gets.  All you need is the first CHARACTER of what you are searching for.  (In other words, it works just as easily for numeric-characters as it does for first-letter searching.)

• Like 2

George P. - that is also the way to use the non-Cortana Search metric (for the StartScreen/AppScreen, mini-Start, and un-Cortana-related searching), which needs to be kept separated from Cortana.  If possible, I'd prefer a Cortana bar (similar to the Address Bar, but replacing it) as an option; I want the keyboard-driven Search (as it debuted in 8) to remain.

Speaking of Search - the fact that keyboard-driven Search has been so readily dismissed actually horks me off.  The fact that the StartScreen and AppScreen are so easily Searchable - and using the keyboard - has been basically pooh-poohed.  What I want to know is *why*.  It's harder to do using touch - and can't be done at all via pointing device without major reliance on mark one mod zero human eyeball.  Keyboard?  Depressingly easy.  (Keyboard-driven Search helped make - at least for me - the Start menu - and organization thereof - completely irrelevant.)  And it doesn't matter one bit HOW big the AppScreen gets.  All you need is the first CHARACTER of what you are searching for.  (In other words, it works just as easily for numeric-characters as it does for first-letter searching.)

That my friend is my number 1 complaint so far. I understand they want cortana but in Windows 7 I hit the Windows key and type away. I do not want to use the mouse or trackpad each time and have bing display results of control panel first. I want control panel listed first etc.

• Like 1

I guess I am late to talk about this, but isn't the bar under the icons for open applications in the taskbar really hard to see?

I guess I am late to talk about this, but isn't the bar under the icons for open applications in the taskbar really hard to see?

Not for me it isn't.

That my friend is my number 1 complaint so far. I understand they want cortana but in Windows 7 I hit the Windows key and type away. I do not want to use the mouse or trackpad each time and have bing display results of control panel first. I want control panel listed first etc.

sinetheo - I was referring to the Modern UI critics, not Cortana.  I want Cortana separated because the focus of Cortana and the internal search (of the StartScreen and AppScreen) is different.  While notifications (from either) can (and should) go to the Notification Center (that is why it exists), the two ways of search themselves should remain separate. (That is why I suggested a Cortana Bar in the first place, so Cortana's input area is separate from both the Address Bar and Runbox.)

sinetheo - Search didn't exist in the same fashion in Windows 7; for example, the Start menu wasn't searchable except via mark 1 mod zero eyeball.  Worse, you had to organize the Start menu yourself.  Even if you stick to strict alphanumberic organization, unless you have a stock laptop (with the standard paltry capacity platter drive), it's a pain in the rear.  And the more applications you have, the bigger the pain.  Ghu help you in a large enterprise (the Department of Homeland Security's Transportation Security Administration or Border Patrol, for example).  Keyboard-driven internal Search launched with Windows 8 - and was dismissed "why"?