[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Define '' a bit newer '' , please .

P.S : When Windows 8 or 8 . 1 came out no upgrade was needed for a completely functional PC on Windows 7 , so why to change the rule ?

Like that proverb says : '' If it's not broken , don't fix it '' .

Because there are more efficient and better ways of doing some things. MS looks at the hardware usage, and then decides whether they need to move forward with their new OS release. One "simple" example, the SSE CPU instructions, over time MS have been moving forward regarding which minimal version of SSE is supported. As older CPUs get replaced and their usage reduced, it makes more sense to stop using older less efficient instructions and switch to newer more efficient instructions.

It is a constant race, software wants to keep pushing forward, hardware wants to catch up, and vice versa.

Because there are more efficient and better ways of doing some things. MS looks at the hardware usage, and then decides whether they need to move forward with their new OS release. One "simple" example, the SSE CPU instructions, over time MS have been moving forward regarding which minimal version of SSE is supported. As older CPUs get replaced and their usage reduced, it makes more sense to stop using older less efficient instructions and switch to newer more efficient instructions.

It is a constant race, software wants to keep pushing forward, hardware wants to catch up, and vice versa.

That's understandable ... I suppose I'm just not ready yet ... [ I hope I'll be 'till 2018 ] .

Even better than Windows 8 . 1 ? [ comparatively with the RTM Windows 10 ] ?

I will have to load windows 8.1 on it to verify that statement.  I left it at Windows 7 until the Tech Preview came out.  The reason is it is not my main daily use machine.  It is one I use to test things.

Straight to the point .

Why I had to post so much to get an enjoyable answer like this ? [ which I hope it will make others to understand my point of view and that I'm not kidding / or trolling either . ] .

Because the tone of your post which rubs people the wrong way - before you post something read it out a loud and ask yourself, "is that the way I want to come across". Your intensions might have been noble but the tone of your posts come off as whining at best and trolling at worst - think about how others are going to read and interpret what you write. Also posting comments like this:

So , you guys , just trust some lies [ and only because they are written ] , and not some true facts because are being said by a kid , like me .

Doesn't exactly send the message that you're interested in a constructive discussion but rather passive aggressive attacks on other forum members then you turn around and complain there is a backlash. If you want to come into the forum all guns blazing then expect there will be a corresponding response of equal proportions.

I'm not trying to attack none of any human being [ alive thing actually ] on this Earth , so less , some guys that I can learn from ...

For the name of the God , If I was like this I'd never get hundred people who come daily on the upside Romanian forum that I gave you earlier , just to ask us [ me too ] for help ...

My intentions really are noble ... and I never thought I'm '' bad '' as long as I've got used to this kind of messages from the other community where I post on ... 

Straight to the point .

Why I had to post so much to get an enjoyable answer like this ? [ which I hope it will make others to understand my point of view and that I'm not kidding / or trolling either . ] .

But why do you expect a new version of windows to give you a performance boost as if you bought new hardware ? well except that's just what Windows 10 will do, with reportedly the final DX12 version, ON OLD HARDWARE, giving you at least a 20% performance boost. 

But why do you expect a new version of windows to give you a performance boost as if you bought new hardware ? well except that's just what Windows 10 will do, with reportedly the final DX12 version, ON OLD HARDWARE, giving you at least a 20% performance boost. 

Then [ and especially if my problem with setups it will fix itself / will be fixed ] I'll use it . :) 

if the gpu doesnt support directx 11, directx 12 wont support it.  so no speed increase.

a directx 11 a card is not considered old hardware

directx 10 and below would be considered old hardware. and no directx 12 driver support.

Anyone expecting a new build today?

I am hopeful. They peviously said late February so I am hoping the first weekend of March might be the time. I am most interested to try Spartan and see how the Xbox app is coming along.

I am hopeful. They peviously said late February so I am hoping the first weekend of March might be the time. I am most interested to try Spartan and see how the Xbox app is coming along.

As said before, sadly, today is not that day.

Mine has DX 11.1 .

I made all this little scandal for nothing ... shame on me ...

If I bought a DX 11.x one in 1 year I surely can buy a DX 12 one in 3 years ... really sorry guys ...

Although MS confirmed a boost for 11.1 I have nothing to be worried about , if the bugs that I saw [ old setups fails & Search + Cortana crashes] will be fixed + many other compatibility issues solved and some of improvements will make their show up ...

Ok , that's a 'bit awkward even for me [ I thought is just 11 ] ...

Well. I have lessen the stress. I discovered that I could perfectly enable the old start menu (B. 9879).

Currently mi Windows 10 installation is broken: No Cortana, XAML Start Menu, Modern apps are also not working (except Settings, thankfully)

if the gpu doesnt support directx 11, directx 12 wont support it.  so no speed increase.

a directx 11 a card is not considered old hardware

directx 10 and below would be considered old hardware. and no directx 12 driver support.

I'd say it depends. Anything lower than AMD Radeon 5xxxx series and lower than NVidia Gefoce 5xx are considered old  (They can't keep up with new games, except 470, 480)

Let's take my finest example : FIFA Online 3 .

On Windows 8.1 it works like a charm .

On Windows 10 January TP - 9926 it makes my mouse to not be detected when I exit from it [ form the game , obviously ] .

If that seems better for you , I have nothing to say ...

By the way ... None of my games [ that I play daily ] haven't got any boost while I was running any version of Windows 10 so far ... So , you guys , just trust some lies [ and only because they are written ] , and not some true facts because are being said by a kid , like me . 

I'm on a gaming laptop and see massive framerate jumps and overall game quality boosts of varying types. update drivers and this might fix your issues

Unfortunately , DX 12 won't run without a GPU with DX 12 . [ I assume that will be very expensive ] .

Any card from ATI with an r2xx or Nvidia 5xxx kepler will be fully DirectX 12 compliant.

There are many budget GPUs that will be DX12 compatible.

It's NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2GB , 128 bit Gigabyte Edition one of them ?

I'm on a gaming laptop and see massive framerate jumps and overall game quality boosts of varying types. update drivers and this might fix your issues

I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA .

It's NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2GB , 128 bit Gigabyte Edition one of them ?

I have the latest drivers from NVIDIA .

Not the GT/GTS/GTX6xx (Kepler) series - all those are pre-Maxwell; however, GT/GTX7xx (baby Maxwell) is.- and it's $100-150USD today.

Even better, most GTX75x fit in the SAME power envelope as GT6xx (no extra power needed at all).

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

Not the GT/GTS/GTX6xx (Kepler) series - all those are pre-Maxwell; however, GT/GTX7xx (baby Maxwell) is.- and it's $100-150USD today.

Even better, most GTX75x fit in the SAME power envelope as GT6xx (no extra power needed at all).

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

Good to know , so ... for the full Windows 10 - DX 12 experience we have to go for Maxwell .

How many bucks at this moment ?

Good to know , so ... for the full Windows 10 - DX 12 experience we have to go for Maxwell .

How many bucks at this moment ?

You might need to also get a new power supply because from what I understand the new GPU's need at least a 500W supply.

You might need to also get a new power supply because from what I understand the new GPU's need at least a 500W supply.

550W here [ Wait ... only the GPU needs 500W !? ] ...