[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

GTX960 (current bottom-end of "big Maxwell") is $200USD also at Newegg (six at $199.99 - two from Gigabyte, and singles from EVGA, PNY, MSI, and Zotac; the EVGA is a SFF model.)

Well the one I linked was a 960, and was $199.

Gaah, enough!  Notification after notification.  Incoming Windows 10 news? 

No, GPU chit-chat. 

Please...?

Sorry :(

Well, if you want news, they've pushed out a bunch of patches for build 9926 today.

I think patching this is a waste of time, just push out a new build that has these fixes already.

Well, if you want news, they've pushed out a bunch of patches for build 9926 today.

I think patching this is a waste of time, just push out a new build that has these fixes already.

Indeed.  9926 was clearly old-stuff on Jan 21.  Cortana, Continuum, Notification Center, aesthetics - I'm loosing sight of what the buzz was all about now.

• Like 2

A system restore didn't fix my Win 10 woes, a refresh did for half an hour before it became crippled again (no desktop, just black screen, task manager works to open some apps).

I'm going to have to format and reinstall.  When's the next build Bill?  Give me something fresh... for my Lumia 1020 also!

A system restore didn't fix my Win 10 woes, a refresh did for half an hour before it became crippled again (no desktop, just black screen, task manager works to open some apps).

I'm going to have to format and reinstall.  When's the next build Bill?  Give me something fresh... for my Lumia 1020 also!

Bill? Gates? He has nothing to do with releasing builds.

I finally did a full clean install of Win10 on a decade old laptop... and it works very well copying all of my MS account data and synching everything with my PC cleanly.

I am mostly drooling in anticipation of Spartan.

EDIT

I do wish that I could install my Office 365 on it. Bleh.

I finally did a full clean install of Win10 on a decade old laptop... and it works very well copying all of my MS account data and synching everything with my PC cleanly.

I am mostly drooling in anticipation of Spartan.

EDIT

I do wish that I could install my Office 365 on it. Bleh.

Actually, you can. I've done it on BOTH my Windows 10 installs (Pro and Enterprise) - in both cases, it replaced Office 2013 ProPlus (as it did in Windows 8.1 as well). In all three cases, it was clean-installed.

If you don't have an Office365 subscription, sign up for a trial at http://office365.com (which is what I did)) - and it works just fine.

Some progress in recovering my installation after doing this:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3175-apps-re-register-windows-8-10-a.html

beta Store started to work and OneNote app now working too, I think all third party apps working, just some native still refuse to start up, but that's because script couldn't activate them as they apparently were used in some way.

I just formatted my SSD, did a fresh install, and immediately my start menu wasn't working (fixed it with the EnableXAMLstartmenu reg fix).

installed drivers and did updates, restarted...

The dreaded black screen again after login appeared again!  Black screen, cursor.. explorer will not load.  Modern apps will not load.

I can open task manager and explore my file system with "Run New Task/Browse" and I can open any normal apps without drama.. but no explorer/desktop is crippling.

The updates must be breaking my windows install!  I removed them all through programs and features but the black screen persists! 

Has anybody had a similar experience?  I don't want to have to downgrade, I want a new build!  Dammit!

I just formatted my SSD, did a fresh install, and immediately my start menu wasn't working (fixed it with the EnableXAMLstartmenu reg fix).

installed drivers and did updates, restarted...

The dreaded black screen again after login appeared again! Black screen, cursor.. explorer will not load. Modern apps will not load.

I can open task manager and explore my file system with "Run New Task/Browse" and I can open any normal apps without drama.. but no explorer/desktop is crippling.

The updates must be breaking my windows install! I removed them all through programs and features but the black screen persists!

Has anybody had a similar experience? I don't want to have to downgrade, I want a new build! Dammit!

Why did you tamper with the registry? Microsoft published a fix for the start bug after the build was released. You should've seen it in Windows Update.

Any card from ATI with an r2xx or Nvidia 5xxx kepler will be fully DirectX 12 compliant.

Also, my card in my laptop is DX11. however with DX12, even though my Nvidia Geforce 770M seems DX 12 compatible, it runs games better than it did back with Windows 7-8.1. I heard the stack of DX12 would improve even Dx11 cards although they aren't DX12.

I'm serious, I'm amazed at DX12. 

I just read 3 pages of you guys talking about GPU cards. 
Can we please just keep this thread to Windows 10 talk? I mean im as excited as you guys are for DX12, but surely you all can start or use an existing thread for that. 

*rant over* 

I just read 3 pages of you guys talking about GPU cards. 

Can we please just keep this thread to Windows 10 talk? I mean im as excited as you guys are for DX12, but surely you all can start or use an existing thread for that. 

*rant over* 

not to be disrespectful but, DX12 is a part of Windows 10. So this is about Windows 10. 

Why did you tamper with the registry? Microsoft published a fix for the start bug after the build was released. You should've seen it in Windows Update.

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advanced
  2. Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value, call it "EnableXamlStartMenu"

I had that black screen issue last install without even being able to open Regedit (no elevated functions would work, just hourglassed).  I will see if deleting that DWORD helps anything, I'll try anything at this point lol.

I also had a black screen issue (no mouse, nothing, hard drive usage shoots up) and my computer randomly gets a 0xc000021a when booting.

I checked the disk, memory, and everything, fine, but my OS is dead. When I try to EFI boot Windows 10 install USB, my computer crashes.

Good thing I only had games on there, that's really the only thing I use Windows for anyway.

I'm going to try turning off secure boot and EFI and see if the install works.

I also had a black screen issue (no mouse, nothing, hard drive usage shoots up) and my computer randomly gets a 0xc000021a when booting.

I checked the disk, memory, and everything, fine, but my OS is dead. When I try to EFI boot Windows 10 install USB, my computer crashes.

Good thing I only had games on there, that's really the only thing I use Windows for anyway.

I'm going to try turning off secure boot and EFI and see if the install works.

I had a problem with bsod on both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 installations on same SSD while having native 8.1 installation on HDD working fine. Almost seemed like SSD issue, but it most likely had something to do with updates being installed on both systems in odd sequence, meaning I rebooted 8.1 that needed to install updates and booted in 10 instead, that also downloaded updates and requested reboot, then I don't remember if I rebooted in 8.1 or 10, but I started to have issues with HDD disappearing in both OS's and eventually bsod. 8.1 wouldn't start at all while 10 worked for 1 minute or so before getting 0xc000021a bsod.

I ended up formatting my SSD and making single partition (not counting system reserved ones), then installing 10 from scratch. I would occasionally run into bugs, do the system restore and that messed up apps/start menu/search functionality every time. Complete refresh does work though.