[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Here's hoping for a Monday release.

I'd prefer Friday so we can play over the weekend. ;-)

Here's hoping for a Monday release.

It's already Thursday though, Friday is impossible.

It won't be tomorrow nor will it be on Monday. I expect a build on Tuesday.

They said they try to avoid Mondays or Fridays for releasing such important stuff.

Why would tomorrow be impossible just because today is Thursday?

True, but build 9926 was released on a Friday.

Exactly what I was thinking. Gabe said on Twitter that they'd post a new announce on Insider's Hub today with more information. I checked a while ago but I didn't see anything new.

129967_900.jpg

That "All Apps" view is terrible. Yes, I know WIP and all, but I don't know how Microsoft could reinstate the previous Windows 8.1 functionality when 1) both panes of the expanded Start menu scroll vertically instead of horizontally, and 2) the previous functionality may frustrate users of keyboards and mice who want a more traditional experience.

post-483058-0-06910500-1426197661.png

Very disappointing.

I fixed my no desktop/startbar issue with a system restore, but once updates apply it will probably die again.  I want another build because this one dies basically out of the box for me now.

What update is causing the issue? Do you an an AMD GPU?

Couldn't tell you which update, a fresh install finds about 6 and installs them straight away.  Uninstalling them didn't help.  I'm running an AMD HD 7950.

An AMD driver caused that issue for me. Turn Wi-fi off before the updates install, find the registry key to enable the old Windows Update interface:

?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX
?Set "IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled" (dword) to 0.

?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings
?Set "UxOption" to 0

After this, you should be able to acess Windows Update through the old Control Panel to hide the graphics driver update.

• Like 2

Thanks, I did suspect the generic AMD driver initially as the cause of my woes but didn't think such a thing could cripple my machine so badly.

Enabling the old Update applet would be a useful tool when all Modern Apps are dead, cheers.

Also, my card in my laptop is DX11. however with DX12, even though my Nvidia Geforce 770M seems DX 12 compatible, it runs games better than it did back with Windows 7-8.1. I heard the stack of DX12 would improve even Dx11 cards although they aren't DX12.

I'm serious, I'm amazed at DX12. 

The big benefit will come with WDDM 2.0 drivers which have shown lower CPU utilisation, less code is now sitting in the kernel which should also deliver more stability and performance is less influenced by the CPU. The work on WDDM has been a long time coming - goes right back to the WDDM PowerPoint slides that were being presented pre and post Windows Vista around 2006:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/9/5b97017b-e28a-4bae-ba48-174cf47d23cd/pri103_wh06.ppt

So this has been in development for quite some time in tandem with GPU vendors and steering the GPU designs in a direction that'll allow what we see today.

GTX960 (current bottom-end of "big Maxwell") is $200USD also at Newegg (six at $199.99 - two from Gigabyte, and singles from EVGA, PNY, MSI, and Zotac; the EVGA is a SFF model.)

I'm having a look at:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=428654

but my main concern is whether it is fully UEFI compatible but I've tried some Google Fu but nothing has come up that is remotely useful to answering said question. I have an AMD Radeon R9 270 which is good enough although the new Maxwell GPU's have the benefit of more grunt and less power consumption thus able to have a nice cool box.

I would rather they fix bugs and include Spartan. I don't think people really want a new version until it has Spartan.

I can bear and tolerate new version without Spartan, if it would be stable and some mature features (which is not expected from Technical Preview), so in short from my side.. Anything is welcome at this point of time.

Microsoft faster Builds roll-out is laughable at this point of time IMO.

Anyone else notice the Friday the 13 in the new gallery of photos? Possibly hinting at release for today? If you try to check for a new build it errors out right now after taking awhile to search.

Anyone else notice the Friday the 13 in the new gallery of photos? Possibly hinting at release for today? If you try to check for a new build it errors out right now after taking awhile to search.

Also on password screen screen.. When WZor said in Hint that leak it or not?, Password is of three word which could mean "Yes"..

I'd rather wait for the next official public build. I can wait for as long as it takes Microsoft to deliver a stable enough version.

I really hope b10036 isn't the next insider release. If it is, they need to have Spartan as a part of it.