[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

That list says they've tweaked the shutdown and restart screens? Anyone have a screenshot of them, what's different?

It's not a big difference, the loading dots are now displayed above the text and are bigger.

There are small-to-medium tweaks all over the place.  If your Microsoft account is associated with a current Windows product, you are NOT re-prompted for verification.  So far, no new non-Windows applications break - unfortunately, the same games that didn't work with 9926 don't work with 10036, either (rats) - however, that means that the issue is apparently still different and is NOT tied directly to post-9901 code changes.  (If it's a change in Windows 10, it occurred prior to 9901.  I STILL think that it's an OS-ism somewhere in the handshake between the Launchpad client and the game servers, because it never completes.)  Office 2016 Preview - which DID change between 9926 and 10036 - works just fine.

Apparently, add-ins that require new product keys (such as Media Center) are still allowable (in other words, the jury remains out on WMC).  There are wizards for corporate domains and various sorts of cloud providers as well (this was not in 9926 or earlier) - and this is Pro, not Enterprise (therefore, I have every reason to believe that Enterprise has the new features, as well).  I wonder - does Core support Hyper-V?  (I know 8.1 Core does not.)

• Like 1

FunkyMike posted:

I do tend to like the size of the Windows 8 taskbar / icon size. Hopefully this is something that can be adjusted.

The size of the Taskbar can be adjusted in the same fashion it has been since Windows 7 or even earlier: grab the upper edge with your pointer and "pull up".

It's not a big difference, the loading dots are now displayed above the text and are bigger.

That's a interesting change to do, I think they should change the dots from a circle to a line again.

I think that's a glitch, I don't think colored buttons are coming back, everyone knows what those three do now. There's no real need to have X be red anymore IMO.

• Like 3

I liked it because the fact that the buttons don't take the full title bar kinda bothered me aesthetically. It makes it better having a sort of way to distinguish them from the rest of the title bar. For me, that is.

New Choose which app to open with:

change-default-app.png

• Like 3

New Choose which app to open with:

change-default-app.png

This is area of functionality with the biggest hole (across the Windows Modern piece) for me.  It spots you're launching a URL - well done Windows - but what of the root site/content of that URL?  

When will it ever say "You have installed apps for *.youtube.com/..., would you like to use an installed app or a browser to launch it?". (Or search the Store for more apps?).

Until then, talk of the MS 'App Gap' is moot because the OS isn't smart enough to leverage the apps that exist. (IMO, of course).

• Like 1

This is area of functionality with the biggest hole (across the Windows Modern piece) for me.  It spots you're launching a URL - well done Windows - but what of the root site/content of that URL?  

When will it ever say "You have installed apps for *.youtube.com/..., would you like to use an installed app or a browser to launch it?". (Or search the Store for more apps?).

Until then, talk of the MS 'App Gap' is moot because the OS isn't smart enough to leverage the apps that exist. (IMO, of course).

This. There were countless times where I wanted to use a Windows Store Youtube app over the default/specified browser when clicking on a Youtube link. Even simple filtering would be effective, as long as the syntax goes with http://youtube.com or even http://youtube.com/watch?v=, then the rest would be parameter for the Windows Store app that supports it in that way. 

Gotta good feeling 10041 will drop either today or tomorrow... 
Place your bets!

The Recycle Bin?  word-wrap and icon positioning is also new - and a bit wrong IMO.

yes Recycle Bin.. it doesnt look like the previous one we've seen