[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Gotta good feeling 10041 will drop either today or tomorrow...

Place your bets!

Gut feeling or do you have any reliable sources?

She might as well have been called Bing. :rofl:

In that case why not call the digital assistant "Chandler"?

Anyone else but me think the traditional recycle bin icon should be ditched for a live tile on Start?

It would be great to see thing like how much space files there amount to, last cleaning time, etc...

Anyone else but me think the traditional recycle bin icon should be ditched for a live tile on Start?

It would be great to see thing like how much space files there amount to, last cleaning time, etc...

Nah. Too much info for something that's used to get rid of stuff. Right click on the icon for that type of info in my opinion.

Gotta good feeling 10041 will drop either today or tomorrow... 

Place your bets!

OK then - not today.  Possibly not even tomorrow. Maybe later this week, with caveats.

This new accelerated release cycle is a real head-rush, innit?!

Yes, but not just Start.  Think about it, the Recycle Bin is a 'live' icon, with, count them, 2 frames of animation/info!  Groovy in 1994, now it's time to move on and destroy the Windows 8 headache of 2 UIs in one and make Live Tiles a full part of the shell.  And smarter, more interactive Live Tiles, too.

Well, it IS a holiday, so perhaps today's off limits in that regard. We've got two more days to expect it within this week!

Yes, but not just Start.  Think about it, the Recycle Bin is a 'live' icon, with, count them, 2 frames of animation/info!  Groovy in 1994, now it's time to move on and destroy the Windows 8 headache of 2 UIs in one and make Live Tiles a full part of the shell.  And smarter, more interactive Live Tiles, too.

I'm not much for interactive Live Tiles on the desktop, but I do think that the redesigned icons on the desktop (without a color tiled background) should be updated with a new preview/highlighted information dialog box.

There's a concept on DeviantArt that has the Start Screen as a side bar and I feel like that is a much better place for the Interactive Live Tiles.

start_side_menu_transparent__1920x1080__

But how would that sidebar concept work with the action center? Seems to me that would create a conflict.

That concept is right on the money - the only truly way for tiles to be useful 'at a glance' is for a screen reservation, like the Vista Sidebar to exist.   Many would hate it and disable it, but if tiles were truly useful and interactive, it would make a great power-feature for the 'power user'.

I would assume the desktop icons would be semi-live, e.g. a Mail notification number?

I don't see a conflict with the Notification Center, any more than the NC conflicts with WP81's Home screen - you're either focusing on one or the other.

But how would that sidebar concept work with the action center? Seems to me that would create a conflict.

The Action Center button pulls out the Start Screen Side Bar and brings in the Action Center. I don't think that's very confusing. It would be almost exactly as it is now. The main reason I like the Start Screen Side Bar concept (besides the Interactive Live Tiles being constantly on display and having a designated area) is with the Interactive Live Tiles it would be nice to have a Messaging (Skype) Live Tile that gets Quick Replies and have that already on display to reply to without going to the Action Center to bring it up. I suppose there is the other option of putting the Interactive Live Tiles in the Action Center, but considering both options I like the first one a little more.

I don't think there's a need for an always on side bar just because of the tiles. I would hate to constantly have that space taken away.

I don't think there's a need for an always on side bar just because of the tiles. I would hate to constantly have that space taken away.

You must be using that conceptual version of Windows where every setting is strictly enforced.  I hear about that around here a lot.

Calm down, I just didn't remember to think it could be optional. So long as I can choose to have the tiles on the Start screen, options are always welcome, of course.

I would like it if the idea Dot said aout the recycle bin could be used for other apps, on the desktop itself though. Weather could show the forecast, and other apps (such as Skype, Facebook, etc.) could at least show the number of notifications if nothing else.

You know, I'm not too worried about the horrible icons. The only people who really care will, I'm sure, find a thousand different icon packages.

I'm not saying we should stop bitching about it and expecting something non-horrid, but there are more important things.

Control Panel is officially dead to Microsoft:

"In time we expect the Settings app to subsume all of the prior Control Panel functionality."

http://twitter.com/thurrott/statuses/578200512509681664

I don't really see the reason behind the current setup. You have Settings, Control Panel, then all the advanced stuff (Computer Management, etc). I'd like to see them move the stuff from control panel that people actually use into settings, and then make one nice "advanced" UI, containing all of the stuff from the various utilities (regedit, computer management, etc), with a nice menu system (maybe a sidebar).