[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Updated ISO or must go through WU?

Through WU. Though I'm not seeing it - yet.

Edit: There we go.

I'm direct booting from a .vhdx file. does anyone know if they still have build upgrading blocked for this method (i haven't tried since the 2nd public build and it was blocked then)

This is area of functionality with the biggest hole (across the Windows Modern piece) for me.  It spots you're launching a URL - well done Windows - but what of the root site/content of that URL?  

When will it ever say "You have installed apps for *.youtube.com/..., would you like to use an installed app or a browser to launch it?". (Or search the Store for more apps?).

Until then, talk of the MS 'App Gap' is moot because the OS isn't smart enough to leverage the apps that exist. (IMO, of course).

umm I've had youtube and other video site apps installed and if I watch a video on them, I get asked if I want to use the app... instead. in windows 8.1

Finally got 10041 installed. First impression is that it feels like kind of a mess. Definitely not a polished OS and I can't fathom how this will be ready by summer. The desktop icons along with the titlebard graphics just make the whole thing ugly and unpleasant to use. Opening This PC brings up an ugly assortment of folder icons and drive icons that look like a throwback to BeOS.

The search field just feels like a hack when you click the startbutton and a white background covers up the "ask me anything" field with a "search the web or windows" field.

The transparency of the start menu is barely noticeable. Probably 90-95%. Would be nice if it was configurable.

Looks like they tweaked icon size and spacing in the taskbar. I have larger icons now and quite a bit more space. The icons are still smaller than the standard size when I create a new toolbar.

I have no idea why there is still a control panel in addition to the Settings menu. They should just pick one or the other.

I don't see the mail app in the start menu anymore.

umm I've had youtube and other video site apps installed and if I watch a video on them, I get asked if I want to use the app... instead. in windows 8.1

Can you elaborate?  I've only ever seen Brandon Paddock's Tweetium query the user about which installed Youtube app to use, rather than default to IE.  Brandon is not your typical app developer, having been a dev in the Windows 8 User Experience team (I think).  Ideally Spartan should close the gap by analyzing a URL against the capabilities of apps registered in the store, like Android's Chrome does.   What are the chances tho...?

I did a search for Mail and it prompted me to download it from the store and that gives me an error. So, there is no native email app. Just as well anyways, Mailbird is way better.

LOL @ the MS Bob voice!  I like the new install screen.  New icons and circle avatars are meh, though at least top aligned taskbars can search again.  Even better, SharePoint works again in IE.

Start Menu still a work in progress.  I like that they embedded some common ones again.  Looks like another beta AMD driver too? (Switchable graphics)

I did a search for Mail and it prompted me to download it from the store and that gives me an error. So, there is no native email app. Just as well anyways, Mailbird is way better.

i got this from the comments on the front page article. it should fix your issue

In this build, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps: Open powershell as administrator; Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage -online | where-object {$_.packagename -like "*windowscommunicationsapps*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage -online; Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)
  • Like 2

guys i need help installing this  :/ I can find the advance update settings but all i see is a drop down for slow and fast, nothing about check now

i got this from the comments on the front page article. it should fix your issue

Thanks for that, I'll try it right away.

*** All Nvidia card owners I want to advise you about what looks like an error but in my case wasn't https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1250466-be-aware-of-this-nvidia-driver-issue/

simply put: if you get an error about the Nvidia driver in your update that says there was an error, simply check with your Nvidia Experience interface and verify your driver and then in the cortana Box run DXDIAG to verify that you were updated to WDDM 2.0

Windows 10: Everything is a square! Except user pictures, because reasons!

The question you should be asking yourself is:

How did Neobond know to incorporate the circle avatar design into the new neowin.net layout and match the release of Windows 10 ; )

• Like 2

This worked, thanks again for posting it. I don't usually use the OS Mail app but I wanted to try it anyways.

I know my comments are based on an unfished OS and people are going to be telling me I shouldn't be running it. However, the TP is intended as a preview release for people to evaluate, albeit not on main machines. I'm just troubled by the fact that they are going so out of their way to make this OS as ugly as possible. In this latest TP, the UI is generally the same and they've even added more icons in that UGLY retro style. I highly doubt they would design a whole set of icons only to replace them all on RTM. I recall a great amount of excitement around Vista and 7's terrific looking interface. Just look at how many people are touting the transparent start menu as a major new feature or talk about the icons, recycle bin in particular.

Anyways, I think they have a good core product on the way and I'll look forward to just running my own icon packages and UX themes.

Can't wait to try the Xbox One streaming.