[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I have experienced the same. 3 so far. I had a twitch stream running during all of them. Seems HWA related if you ask me, but don't have anything to point to atm.

Planning on reinstalling the Nvidia drivers now just to check.

edit

Seems the Nivida driver 349.65 is not available via WU, but the 349.90 is deployed by default when I removed the current drivers from my older build.

Waiting to see how it goes in regards of the lockups.

Thanks, let us know how it goes ;)

Gabe Aul further confirms the demise of Control Panel:

"@nemesys2k In time yes, we expect the Settings app to subsume all of the prior Control Panel functionality."

- Gabe Aul

As long as we don't lose functionality, I don't really care that much.

looks like I'll need to wait for the ISO as it seems they still block upgrading when booting from a vhd file :/

Gabe Aul further confirms the demise of Control Panel:

"@nemesys2k In time yes, we expect the Settings app to subsume all of the prior Control Panel functionality."

- Gabe Aul

That sounds like the proper direction, I'm glad they are doing that. He doesn't seem to indicate that it will happen in a Windows 10 though. I'd rather have them delay the release and really polish the OS.

Its a good direction for Settings and MS has always been smart enough to leave us an 'admin' button. 

I'm really starting to enjoy the transparent (full) Start Screen, enough that I've temporarily realigned my taskbar to the bottom.  Finally the awkward and foolish approach we saw in 8.0 has been supplanted by something useful and cool.  All Apps is still a challenge but the rest is shaping up nicely.  It underlines everything that was wrong with Win8's approach to Start, particularly as a 'transition' product.  Good job MS!

I think the Notification Area is the next low fruit now once Start and Cortana are fleshed out.  Settings is less pressing if they get the frequent settings in cleanly.

I'm more impressed that a drop down in Storage Sense replaces Library redirection, but its nice to see other dialogs getting some polish.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the updated backup settings for OneDrive yet.

PjaKbOw.png

My eyes hurt just by looking at the "design" of these toggles. >.<

• Like 2

Those rounded buttons next to the tile are easy to use with touch though, I don't have a problem with them really.

They would also look bad square, round actually fits in with the square there.

Jackaluichi - I have been trying to make THAT case since the first LEAK of the Windows 10 preview, if not earlier.  However, somewhere along the way, change has become conflated with risk, which has resulted in an outright unwillingness to change at all - for any reason.

Change in an operating system is a REQUIREMENT if you want folks to upgrade (or switch, for that matter) from what they are using today - otherwise, folks will simply stay put.  When the hardware requirements haven't changed (and since Vista, they haven't) making the argument gets harder - not easier.

In fact, let's look simply at the OOBE in 10041 (a lot of which was in 10036, but is completely changed from 9926).  While the "circle" was nitpicked to death in 10036/10041, did anyone notice that the phases of the OOBE were also being tracked (this is information that was hidden in 9926 and earlier, AND in previous versions of Windows)?  We all supposedly "knew" that the OOBE was broken into "phases" in ever version of Windows - however, 10041 lets us actually see what the phases were, and makes troubleshooting a failed install (or upgrade) a bit easier, by isolating where the fail happened (in terms of phase, and even WHERE in the problematical phase, the fail happened).  This is a bad thing?

Yes - there have been other changes (not only from 9926, but even from 10036); still, this one is a biggie, and it's one that has advantages for everyone.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if when Win 10 comes out what happens to all the different existng versions like home and pro etc?

For example, remote desktop was only really a Pro feature - so what version will you get when you upgrade to 10 free?

Does anyone know if when Win 10 comes out what happens to all the different existng versions like home and pro etc?

For example, remote desktop was only really a Pro feature - so what version will you get when you upgrade to 10 free?

most likely it'll be based off what ever version is installed currently.

so if you have 8.1 core on your computer it will upgrade to 10 core & vice versa for pro

Guys, I could really use help with my issue. A lot of older modern apps are extending their content beyond the app window, regardless of size. Mail, Calendar, Store, News all suffer from this. New apps like Store beta and Photos work fine.

Guys, I could really use help with my issue. A lot of older modern apps are extending their content beyond the app window, regardless of size. Mail, Calendar, Store, News all suffer from this. New apps like Store beta and Photos work fine.

Might be caused by dpi settings.

Check If it helps to set dpi to 100% (manually).

One thing I've noticed - if it's easier for touch, it's ALSO easier for pointing devices, including mice, trackpads, touchpads, etc.  (This is especially true for trackpads.)

It's ALSO why I really haven't gotten the rage over things being improved for those that are NOT pointing-device experts.

As I understand it, Cortana should now work in the UK on build 10041 but I've just tried to start it and I go into Cortana settings and it's disabled with a message of 'Cortana is not available in your market

Why isn't it working??

As I understand it, Cortana should now work in the UK on build 10041 but I've just tried to start it and I go into Cortana settings and it's disabled with a message of 'Cortana is not available in your market

Why isn't it working??

I had the same issue here in Spain after upgrading yesterday from 9926 through Windows Update. I'll make a fresh installation of build 10041 later tonight and give it a try again.

Thanks, let us know how it goes ;)

Still got a hard lock.

This time with both Chrome and WoW running. I did a new clean remove of all Nvidia drivers and reinstalled the ones via WU.

Just in case the last removal was not done properly. Then I only removed the Nvidia drivers from add/remove. Now I removed the driver from Device Manager as well.

Will update on how it goes later.

If that doesn't work I will start looking for other things.

• Like 1

Some details about the swipes. http://video.ch9.ms/sessions/winhec/2015/files/WHT211%20-%20Designing%20Great%20Hardware%20for%20the%20Windows%2010%20UI.pptx
post-483058-0-00204100-1426801737.pngpost-483058-0-66045500-1426801728.pngpost-483058-0-46317400-1426801808.pngpost-483058-0-80412800-1426801698.png

The same slides omit information about snapping applications alongside the desktop in Windows 8.1. Instead, this functionality is presented within a slide about Windows 10. I will assume that this is to suggest to the reader that snapping Windows Store applications alongside the desktop UI is a new feature in Windows 10, but the feature is not new.

That's terrible IMO... Swiping had much better functionality in 8.1 :-\ 

Frustrated we have to use this tiny little start button in touch. :-\ Why can't we at least have multi-finger gestures? (3 finger swipe up for start, for instance)

• Like 3

Replacing app bar gesture with taskbar show/hide was a huge mistake, still hope it'll change.

I mean, apart from making it a terrible nuisance for tablet users exclusively (mouse and keyboard have quick ways to get that app bar) what is actually gained with this stupid idea? Every Windows 8 device has a Windows button to get that start screen/menu, therefore you don't need to see taskbar to use it. Left edge swipe brings detailed taskview which further eliminates any need to see the taskbar (which is displayed anyways when using taskview). Therefore we get this completely useless gesture instead of one that is so much needed for touch users. And it doesn't even work if taskbar is not on the bottom anyways.