[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Here's an idea, use a DOUBLE swipe to open taskbar, as I will rarely use the taskbar in touch mode.

• Like 2

I have a little UI issues in 32bit browsers like Chrome 41 or Firefox 37. Top of the browsers (tabs) are a few pixels cropped in maximized mode.

In fact they are cropped from every side, but on top it's more visible.
Surprisingly x64 Firefox 37 has no such problem. I do not have x64 Chrome to compare.

WIn 10 build 10041.

• Like 1

Replacing app bar gesture with taskbar show/hide was a huge mistake, still hope it'll change.

I mean, apart from making it a terrible nuisance for tablet users exclusively (mouse and keyboard have quick ways to get that app bar) what is actually gained with this stupid idea? Every Windows 8 device has a Windows button to get that start screen/menu, therefore you don't need to see taskbar to use it. Left edge swipe brings detailed taskview which further eliminates any need to see the taskbar (which is displayed anyways when using taskview). Therefore we get this completely useless gesture instead of one that is so much needed for touch users. And it doesn't even work if taskbar is not on the bottom anyways.

In other words, the wheel that was squeaking got too MUCH grease.

Basically, the expert mousers wanted their playground (Windows) all to themselves. (Notice that I specifically referred to the "expert" pointing device users - I'm NOT one, and never claimed to be one - and I liked things the way they were with even 8 (which lacked a Start menu altogether).

Why are you guys going on about the app bar when it's clearly gone now? There is no more app bar, look at all the new apps, the universal ones from MS, no app bar. Everything will now have either a left or right side menu fly out.

As far as the taskbar goes, expect to see tablets without a start button, I mean look at what they did on the phone, no physical buttons and you get software keys, it's the same idea. Nothings really changed except for the apps that have now ditched the app bar, it never did get used right anyway, and now that you can have them be windowed and freely resized, the app bar is a limitation that had to go.

• Like 1

I have a little UI issues in 32bit browsers like Chrome 41 or Firefox 37. Top of the browsers (tabs) are a few pixels cropped in maximized mode.

Surprisingly x64 Firefox 37 has no such problem. I do not have x64 Chrome to compare.

WIn 10 build 10041.

I've got the exact same issue here. At first I thought it was a problem inherited by the update process, but then I realised it wasn't as soon as I spot it again after doing a clean installation of build 10041.

Anyone with any problems (10041) resuming from screen-off idle?  It seems like there were BatterySense features in 9926 that aren't present in 10041, and I might have caused irreparable damage by tweaking them.

Why are you guys going on about the app bar when it's clearly gone now? There is no more app bar, look at all the new apps, the universal ones from MS, no app bar. Everything will now have either a left or right side menu fly out.

As far as the taskbar goes, expect to see tablets without a start button, I mean look at what they did on the phone, no physical buttons and you get software keys, it's the same idea. Nothings really changed except for the apps that have now ditched the app bar, it never did get used right anyway, and now that you can have them be windowed and freely resized, the app bar is a limitation that had to go.

I understand that, but what about all the rest of the apps that do still have app bars and probably not going to change that anytime soon? Even Skype has it and taunts by suggesting the gesture that no longer works. It's not gone and even by Windows 10 release most of the apps probably still won't change, that's why the app bar option still exist in menu. Even if they came up with this gesture change for the sole purpose of forcing developers to redo their apps, that's a very disgusting way of doing things.

I understand that, but what about all the rest of the apps that do still have app bars and probably not going to change that anytime soon? Even Skype has it and taunts by suggesting the gesture that no longer works. It's not gone and even by Windows 10 release most of the apps probably still won't change, that's why the app bar option still exist in menu. Even if they came up with this gesture change for the sole purpose of forcing developers to redo their apps, that's a very disgusting way of doing things.

You kind of answered your own question, they've moved those commands to the left side menu for now until developers redo their apps. The thing is that they'll want to redo them anyways, making them universal apps and have UIs that better work on desktop and tablet/phone.

he fact is the app bar hasn't worked out well, it's limited in a few ways, space being one of them. If you want to push for more complicated apps in the store then the app bar falls apart, it fills up quick. The best way is to use the left and right sides with also using true right click menus. You can also use the ribbon type element with a top fly out, or bottom one to. Either way you get more room to work with which is a plus.

WIn 10 build 10041.

Yea, noticed that myself. Also if you drag the window slowly down, the top line gets "distorted" and broken. Fixes itself when you let go of the bar.

"Hey Cortana" stopped working after the update for me. When I click to customize it, nothing happens. Anyone else having this issue?

Half of the actions in settings still opens up old control panel dialogs. :/

I wonder if getting rid of Control Panel means getting rid of the dialogs as well. 

OEMs may not be required to provide an option to disable the Secure Boot feature in Windows 10.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/

I build my own desktop PCs - therefore, this issue only applies to portables in my case.

Further, unless a decent Linux distribution supports ALL the features of a notebook that I would purchase (which DOES include touch), it becomes irrelevant even on portable PCs.

Are we getting tiles for the desktop? That's all I want to know. I saw a news article on it and it seemed like they might but haven't decided but has anyone heard anything recent? I saw this in the comments on an article and wondered if this was from GDC or something. http://i.imgur.com/wGijMWC.jpg You can see tiles on the mockups on the bottom.

Are we getting tiles for the desktop? That's all I want to know. I saw a news article on it and it seemed like they might but haven't decided but has anyone heard anything recent? I saw this in the comments on an article and wondered if this was from GDC or something. http://i.imgur.com/wGijMWC.jpg You can see tiles on the mockups on the bottom.

I hope they have something planned.  It would be nice if they enabled Modern app Taskbar icons to be 'small tiles' so that they could show as much live information as a pinned IE site - something that's been a functionality gap since 8.1.

I wonder if getting rid of Control Panel means getting rid of the dialogs as well. 

I hope so because some if not most are the same since Windows 9x, it's time for them to change.

• Like 2

I hope so because some if not most are the same since Windows 9x, it's time for them to change.

and the change will come as well as MS decide we need [ and we do ] it .

and the change will come as well as MS decide we need [ and we do ] it .

They did start the change with Windows Vista and more so with 7, they started to add things into the main control panel window instead of having dialog boxes but they stopped short.

Now with control panel on the way out it should happen in time.

They did start the change with Windows Vista and more so with 7, they started to add things into the main control panel window instead of having dialog boxes but they stopped short.

Had they a good reason ?

I really like the new modernized preview tabs. Hope this comes over to Spartan.

attachicon.gifTabs.png

I think I see a bug that title is a complete work of fiction

The current AMD display drivers being installed via Windows Update are extremely buggy in most cases and cause freezes, hangs, crashes and blue screens in multiple games on numerous systems, desktops and laptops both. R9 290X, R9 270X, Radeon 7660D, Radeon 8660D, R7 250, and more. (Over 20 systems I've personally tested). The last stable ones were released in January 2015 or November 2014 (depending on which GPU we're talking about). There are numerous reports of this in the Feedback app and yet it is not listed as a known issue officially and no workaround or fix has been promised or released yet. I am not at all a MS hater. I mostly like Windows 10 and what MS has been doing lately, but... the AMD driver thing is causing me major grief. I've reported these issues to AMD as well btw.  I am hopeful that MS and AMD can work together to fix this for their mutual users/customers asap. :)  Or at least pull the awful buggy video drivers from Windows Update until fixed.