[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Rabble rabble it doesn't support my exact needs and looks so it is horrible.

When MS first released Luna in XP, I wanted to vomit. I spent a decade cringing every time I'd see that bubblegum crap at a professional or doctor's office. It was not, however, the end of the world, and MS went on to improve that, too. The market is changing, and the idea of maintaining desktop, tablet, phone, and device operating systems in different environments is more than a little insane. They have a need here to unite a visual and interface design system with applications and systems that work across a broad array of devices we use and will use in the future.

I agree that Win7 is a billion times better than 8 or Vista... but being Windows, it takes all of 5 minutes to change 8 back to behaving and looking like 7. It also is not a platform that can be used on mobile or touch-based devices.

If you want to volunteer to go run 3 or 4 different operating systems that work with 3 or 4 different input devices and 30 or 40 compiled languages... yea, have fun with that. I'd prefer that developers wouldn't have to devote a lot of resources porting the same app to different builds of Windows, and the resulting phenomenon of them not bothering to even try because it isn't cost effective, which leads to the Windows stores (mobile and PC) being severely under-populated and lacking apps from most major companies (as I again cringe every time I see the "iOS/Android" labels at stores).

• Like 1

Jumplist for startmenu.

1. ?Open regedit.exe (Win+R)
  2. Navigate to: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Advanced"
  3. Create a new "Dword (32-bit) value"
  4. Name it "EnableXamlJumpView"
  5. Set its value to 1
  6. Restart PC

Screenshot%20%285%29_0.png?itok=5u_79Gnx

Video of 10045 start menu bug.

• Like 3

Jumplist for startmenu.

• ?Open regedit.exe (Win+R)
  • Navigate to: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Advanced"
  • Create a new "Dword (32-bit) value"
  • Name it "EnableXamlJumpView"
  • Set its value to 1
  • Restart PC
Screenshot%20(5)_0.png?itok=5u_79Gnx

Hmm. Possible hints of interactive live tiles? Though, I'd rather 'exploding' live tiles than a lame menu.

There's probably more to live tiles than what we have now, they're really not showing us everything, maybe holding out for build next month.

Jump lists was always coming back to the menu, they said as much. The new thing would be to actually let store apps support them as well, it'd allow for some handy things. Unless they do give us updated tiles that can expose controls if you want, that'd be better.

There's probably more to live tiles than what we have now, they're really not showing us everything, maybe holding out for build next month.

Jump lists was always coming back to the menu, they said as much. The new thing would be to actually let store apps support them as well, it'd allow for some handy things. Unless they do give us updated tiles that can expose controls if you want, that'd be better.

Well I hope we see something with exploding tiles plus interactive tiles

We know that MS had people working on interactive live tiles for awhile, it was shown in those videos awhile back showing interactive live tiles. If we  don't see interactive live tiles at Build 2015, I doubt it will be in this release of windows 10. Maybe in windows 10 update1.

Guys, I could really use help with my issue. A lot of older modern apps are extending their content beyond the app window, regardless of size. Mail, Calendar, Store, News all suffer from this. New apps like Store beta and Photos work fine.

I have that issue on my laptop, which has a native resolution of 1366x768. But the Modern apps look fine when I connect to an external monitor running at 1920x1080.

Theyre going to suck every1 with this free year plan. Then MS will charge ever year after that is what Ive been reading from some sources, so Ill hang onto Win 8.1 for awhile i think and see what happens after the year.

Theyre going to suck every1 with this free year plan. Then MS will charge ever year after that is what Ive been reading from some sources, so Ill hang onto Win 8.1 for awhile i think and see what happens after the year.

Face palm..... this topic has been beat to death already.

• Like 2

This has been explained plenty by now!

People can upgrade for free in the first year. If you want to upgrade later you will have to pay.

If you upgrade in the first year, you keep your license without extra payment

where did you hear that? Whatever the source, it is wrong, they have lost all tech news credibility. 

The new display settings panel in the public insider 10041 build does support setting a different scale factor for each monitor.

Can somebody using 10041 confirm this?

I never heard of Secure Boot before this. Are there any performance enhancements with it or is it strictly for security?

Well that is pathetic.

It's pathetic because a) it takes approx. a second longer to open than Win32 Calc or b) because the member who uploaded the video makes it sound like the wait is oh so dreadfully long?

When Microsoft built Vista and later Windows 7 they didn't just follow UI trends they tried to set their own and the result was successful, Aero and the glossy icons were loved almost universally.

It certainly did not seem to be loved much when it was introduced in Windows Vista.

Flat and ugly UI's and icons don't help bridge the gap between desktop and tablet devices,

Um, how many phones do you know that use PC UIs?

I also really disliked Glass. Not as much as Bubblegum, but it wasn't great.

Never understood why people get so hotheaded about UI changes.  So there's a learning curve.  Learn and get on with your day.  Maybe it's prettier maybe it isn't, but it certainly isn't going to drastically change your life.

• Like 2

People tend to get hooked more on what they see than the background processes... so we end up arguing about icons and the size of Calculator instead of any number of other improvements. Even when we see news about Cortana, it is more about how it looks than functions.

The UI is how the content is presented, accessed, and created, so yea, actually kinda important. It is a different branch of the development tree.

The UI is important in the context of what it enables and how good/bad the learning curve is, but I have yet to see any Windows release so complicated an idiot couldn't learn it if they wanted to.