[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

1 - Categorization seems unnecessary to me. Semantic zoom I'll agree to. The rest doesn't have to be an option, it should just default to show more apps and administrative tools.

What? I feel that categorization is one of the features that makes the Start screen so customizable

I'm getting an error 0x8E5E0212 when trying to install apps now.  About half my apps installed fine and then this started popping up for every subsequent app.  I did some research and found people encountering this error in 8.1, but when following all the various solutions to fix it I'm still getting the error.  Has anyone else had this issue?

This is AMD we're talking about, I doubt we'll EVER see better drivers.

Only time I wasn't happy with em was back with the 6870 when they'd release endless betas with pretty much no differences whatsoever between releases.  Otherwise they've been as solid as NV for me.

Mind you I skipped a few years with the 660 until just now I got a 290, so I can't say if they had issues between there.

Prerelease OS though?  Neither sides DX12 drivers seem to be all that great.

• Like 1

What about application categorization for "All Apps"? Or semantic zoom? Or the options to display administrative tools and more applications if desired? "All Apps" needs to do more than just expand to full screen.

Exactly. It needs to function like the Start screen in Windows 8.1 to be efficient for both touch and mice.

Don't call it "whining." I have left feedback with the Feedback application, through e-mail, and on the Uservoice website.

What exactly are you terming categorization if not just the search options?  Of the filter choices, the only one missing is 'Categories', which was never very useful.  Most used, common, and date are already accommodated for.  All Apps was terrible and should never have expand to full screen.  They should continue the mantra of 'pin' everything for customization.

Semantic zoom should return in its WP form, by clicking the letter - not a hot corner.  This is easily the best Start Screen to date for me, primarily because it fits better with WPs approach.  It stops trying to compete with the desktop and instead becomes an extension of it, the primary failing of Win8.  Hell, I even like it full screen.  The combination of the new windowed apps with the transparency finally set off the promise of Modern.

I just need to learn to love the hamburger, once they move the flyout left of course.

Only time I wasn't happy with em was back with the 6870 when they'd release endless betas with pretty much no differences whatsoever between releases. Otherwise they've been as solid as NV for me.

Mind you I skipped a few years with the 660 until just now I got a 290, so I can't say if they had issues between there.

Prerelease OS though? Neither sides DX12 drivers seem to be all that great.

Correct, and people with NVIDIA cards are also suffering hard lockups, so we must be patient.

Categories should be dumped.  The only one missing, 'Categories', was never very useful.  Most used, common, and date are already accommodated for.

What may not be useful to you may be to others. It's still nice to have the option.

Semantic zoom should return in its WP form, by clicking the letter - not a hot corner.

Not only does the Start screen in Windows 8.1 Update allow for semantic zoom via a hot corner, but the feature can also be activated by clicking the application letter, category, et cetera (otherwise known as the headings).

The combination of the windowed apps with the transparency finally set off the promise of Modern.

These features

I think you edited your post after I made my previous reply . . . I will address the new comments as I am now unable to edit the previous post.

All Apps was terrible and should never have expand to full screen.

Why not? Not only does expanding "All Apps" to full screen make the interface easier to use on touch-based devices (and mice as the targets are larger), but it also utilizes all available screen estate which allows more applications to be shown at once, which increases discoverability and is a desirable feature for users of larger monitors. An option to show more applications is also available, which essentially decreases the size of the items on the screen.

They should continue the mantra of 'pin' everything for customization.

"'Pin' everything" is a poor mantra as this may be contrary to the user's wishes. Yes, eventually users will need applications that are not pinned and one way to solve this is to pin all newly installed applications by default. Windows 8.1, however, gently allows the user to decide and does not even pin items by default. Some may argue that this change may make it more difficult to find recently installed applications that are not pinned, but there are changes

One issue I've had is that Cortana no longer works on this latest build. When I go to settings and click on Cortana and Search Settings, nothing happens. Anyone else have this issue with the Cortana settings not displaying?

One issue I've had is that Cortana no longer works on this latest build. When I go to settings and click on Cortana and Search Settings, nothing happens. Anyone else have this issue with the Cortana settings not displaying?

Yeah my laptop hasn't liked it much.

having a lot of problems with this build.  After the first install, firstly the start menu wasn't showing all the items, for instance settings, documents then after a day the network settings stopped working.  Decided to do a refresh and after a few hours the search bar disappeared.  Decided to do another refresh and the who start menu stopped working, the same way it did in 9926, then the notification pop-ups stopped as well, guess I'll do another refresh.  No improvement after updates either.  

I might be mistaken but as far as I remember when windows 7 was at this stage it seemed far more stable, even 8 was more stable come to think of it

Sigh after the 4th (and final for the moment at least) settings stopped working, all settings.  The search bar disappeared completely too for a bit too but game back.  Anyone else having all these problems?

25ioeav.jpg

New Files icon, new Task View icon. 

New Notes in Notification Center

Flashlight in Notification Center 

Seen in Microsoft Windows 10 for devs video: Notification Center

• Like 3

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

I should probably include a sarcasm sign but yeah, Apps don't work very well. But on the other hand, apps never worked right for me on Win8.1 either, I still can't install or uninstall some of them...soo

Integrated graphics can NOW - however, that was not the case with the Intel 845G of the Vista era.  (In fact, the 815 - which the 845G replaced - couldn't, either.)  And look at what has changed merely with integrated graphics from everyone, and especially Intel (which arguably was the WORST of the integrated-graphics chipsets of the XP/Vista era).  Intel first improved chipset performance, then moved GPUs onto the CPU (which was the case with every graphics component from Intel since the G4x (arguably the best onboard graphics that Intel did in the on-motherboard era) went away).  The REAL pressure on integrated graphics remains portables and AIOs (both portable and otherwise) - at least there Intel has at least brought their B-game with the DX11-ready and HD video ready HD5xxx (in everything Haswell) - how many of the folks that want the return of features like Aero Glass suffered from incapable chipsets DURING the Vista era?  (In other words, they couldn't have had it then, but want it because they can have it now.  Nostalgia rears its head.)  However, as capable as Intel HD5xxx is, a dedicated GPU (even a mainstream or budget GPU, such as "baby Maxwell" NVidia GTX750 - not even the GTX750Ti) will STILL kick its butt - and that is without bringing DX12 into the picture at all.

Considering 10041 is the most buggy build released yet, im surprised this has hit the slow ring at all. 9926 was flawless build wise, everything worked, and worked better than it did in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. 
10041 seems to have a plethora or errors show for everyone, from graphics errors, start menu errors, shutdown/reboot errors, install errors... the list goes on. Im even more surprised that M$ didn't fix the mail, contacts and people tiles before sending it out on the slow ring. 
I honestly hope these are fixed in the next build, whether it be flast or slow rings, but 10041 for the most part is horrible. 

• Like 1

Considering 10041 is the most buggy build released yet, im surprised this has hit the slow ring at all. 9926 was flawless build wise, everything worked, and worked better than it did in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. 

10041 seems to have a plethora or errors show for everyone, from graphics errors, start menu errors, shutdown/reboot errors, install errors... the list goes on. Im even more surprised that M$ didn't fix the mail, contacts and people tiles before sending it out on the slow ring. 

I honestly hope these are fixed in the next build, whether it be flast or slow rings, but 10041 for the most part is horrible. 

The Mail, People, and Calendar apps are all being replaced soon.

25ioeav.jpg

New Files icon, new Task View icon. 

New Notes in Notification Center

Flashlight in Notification Center 

Seen in Microsoft Windows 10 for devs video: Notification Center

I wonder if this means we'll (finally) get a nice Modern replacement for Notepad?

9926 was flawless build wise, everything worked, and worked better than it did in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. 

No, it didn't :laugh:

-Wifi doesn't auto connect after waking from sleep

-insane fan usage

-IE randomly slowed down (chrome/Ff work fine)

-taskbar, start menu corruption

etc...all in 9926 for me!

• Like 2

No, it didn't :laugh:

-Wifi doesn't auto connect after waking from sleep

-insane fan usage

-IE randomly slowed down (chrome/Ff work fine)

-taskbar, start menu corruption

etc...all in 9926 for me!

Shame I never had any problems at all with 9926, but too many to list with 10041. 

I went back to 9926 and disabled Windows Update for now, will install whatever the next build is on the fast ring hopefully mine (and your) problems will be gone by then.