[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I like and dislike that. Would be good to be able to toggle that or something. Between actual full screen and contained within the browser window.

I'm on 10041 and it wasn't letting me install 10049 because my VM didn't have 2 GB of RAM. Anyone else have this issue? I just changed the VM to 2 GB minimum so let's see what happens now.

I like and dislike that. Would be good to be able to toggle that or something. Between actual full screen and contained within the browser window.

It's a new, 3rd display option (or 4th if you count Youtube Cinema mode as well) tho.  I often found videos in news article too small, full-screen unwanted.  Everyone loves options!

I only mentioned it because someone else said Neowin doesn't render properly.

I would hope so, since the rendering engine has not been changed. Spartan is just Edge mode.

Also, can someone tell me how to use Cortana voice search in Spartan? If I speak "Hey, Cortana" it just uses the system search. I'm pretty sure I remember Cortana inside Spartan being demonstrated, I just can't remember what verbal command triggers it in Spartan.

This latest windows 10 build is taking forever to download. Should've been done ages ago.

I wish this update panel would give out more info, such as whats downloaded, how much in total, and the speed. Should be done by now unless its 10tb.

That's not a change. That is improper HTML5 fullscreen video support. It does not give the video permission to handle the entire screen, so it fills the page.

Finally installed newest Update.

First thing noticed.

- Windows Defender is missing "Settings" tab.  :/

- Project Spartan has improved Contenteditable support, last 10041 lesser support for it right now one. Great!

I installed build 10041 from ISO and upgraded to 10049. My graphical crashing issues are gone which is really relieving.
Here a few things I noticed about Spartan that really affect it's usability.

You can't drag a tab to create a new window. Right-clicking and sending it to a new windows seems archaic and buggy.
Sometimes when you right-click to open in a new tab, a new, blank, tab opens instead of your link.
You can't change the default search provider from Bing.
Switch videos to full screen only fills the entire browser window, not the desktop screen. Maybe a limitation from keeping the app contained in the window like apps?
Spartan has some of the same formatting issues with sites like Neowin when quoting and replying as IE11 did.
Double-clicking the title bar does not make the window full screen.

Finally installed newest Update.

First thing noticed.

- Windows Defender is missing "Settings" tab. :/
- Project Spartan has improved Contenteditable support, last 10041 lesser support for it right now one. Great!

Funny, I'm missing the entire icon from the system tray. I have a blank, right-clickable space.

But it seems they've moved the settings here

post-236153-0-07555500-1427837427.png

• Like 1

decided to finally try 10 on one of my devices, started with the laptop before I try my pad.

decided to do an upgrade since I didn't feel like reinstalling all the apps and it's no longer the 90's so we don't need to hang on to the old upgrade myths and I didn't need it accessible for a while. started the install at around 19, around 23 the setting up part was done and the total percentage hit 30%. 40 minutes later it's still at 30 and applying PC settings is still a solid 0%. and here I was hoping setting up was the slow part :p oh well.

Yeah my upgrade took a good 2 hours. I think it was at 0% for like 30 minutes at least.

Well Mine took 7 at least. according to session buddy in opera, my last saved sessions was 10 hours old(I can't use the built in session restore since I have the size bug on all my computers, that causes session files to grow to 150MB+ and causes it to freeze every few seconds when browsing).

Still, after the color changing final screen ended, just looking at the new desktop on first boot was nice. There are things I don't care about either way, like the mini start over the start screen, in fact I may or may not prefer the start screen, I haven't tried it full screen yet. 

ok i tried it, and I really don't like the way they butchered the full screen start screen... the start screen was great now it's... not... it's going to be annoying on my tablet unless they fix it. full screen version is also way to transparent, to the point of being nearly unusable on the left side if you have a webpage up on the desktop.

Well Mine took 7 at least. according to session buddy in opera, my last saved sessions was 10 hours old(I can't use the built in session restore since I have the size bug on all my computers, that causes session files to grow to 150MB+ and causes it to freeze every few seconds when browsing).

Still, after the color changing final screen ended, just looking at the new desktop on first boot was nice. There are things I don't care about either way, like the mini start over the start screen, in fact I may or may not prefer the start screen, I haven't tried it full screen yet. 

ok i tried it, and I really don't like the way they butchered the full screen start screen... the start screen was great now it's... not... it's going to be annoying on my tablet unless they fix it. full screen version is also way to transparent, to the point of being nearly unusable on the left side if you have a webpage up on the desktop.

I guess so much for those old upgrade myths being myths, eh ;) 

Even now, with all these builds, upgrading can be tricky.

What about the full screen start screen though? With mine, when you maximize the start screen, it only displays your wallpaper behind, none of your open windows.

The Windows Defender settings location irks me, no discernably logical reason for relocating it. They may as well shift the whole UI to the settings app if they must change it for the sake of change.

The Windows Defender settings location irks me, no discernably logical reason for relocating it. They may as well shift the whole UI to the settings app if they must change it for the sake of change.

I think they're planning to.

what's point of starting these apps from scratch..again? They barely got the Xbox apps to usable levels and now have gone back to drawing board? Do they perform better or something?

I guess so much for those old upgrade myths being myths, eh ;)

Even now, with all these builds, upgrading can be tricky.

What about the full screen start screen though? With mine, when you maximize the start screen, it only displays your wallpaper behind, none of your open windows.

upgrade install time has nothing to do with the old folk tale of unstable OS and bugs because you upgrade

upgrade install time has nothing to do with the old folk tale of unstable OS and bugs because you upgrade

I don't understand your point. Windows 10 has plenty of bugs and some due to upgrading.

But anyway, is that more important to you than an honest question about your experience with the start screen?

It's great to see Microsoft move to a more unified branding.

I am too. I think out of all the newly designed apps the Alarms & Clocks is the best one. The main menu functions being right at the top just seems like a good thing unilaterally across platforms. There is so much grey in every app though. The apps kind of look altogether in that pic. This is the same complaint I have about borderless Windows. I'm glad to see the caption buttons are part of the tab bar on Spartan. I hope they do that for a few more apps (Music,Outlook, Messaging, Calendar.) I still don't like the back button being in the top left corner though. Ever since they showed that on Continuum I've disliked it (or even further back with Windows 8.)

I don't understand your point. Windows 10 has plenty of bugs and some due to upgrading.

But anyway, is that more important to you than an honest question about your experience with the start screen?

I didn't actually notice it, but as I said in my previous post, the full screen start screen is currently... mostly useless. 

and now it only displays the wallpaper, earlier it actually displayed my browser behind it. either way, while that makes the left side stuff more readable, it doesn't change the fact that the start screen right now is pretty terrible. 

I fond the left side part mostly useless, and only eating up space which could be used for the tiles, and I'm not a fan of the vertical scrolling on the start screen. 

Sure it's not finished right now, and it doesn't feel and seem finished, but I'm not a fan of the direction they're going with it, just like the lack of the charms is really going to hurt the tablet functionality. 

Seems to me Microsoft is now going "thick font" compared to the Segoe UI Light