[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

is there a known bug with network properties in 10041 or 10049?

I tried changing the DNS on this thing, but the properties button for both ipv4 and 6 is disabled so I can't edit the DNS.

Whew, glad it's not me! I have the same problem with tcp/ip settings!

Weird, I have a different cortana icon than what is shown on the front page of neowin build 10051. On mine it's a magnifying glass.

I"m liking the new cal app tho. These new apps almost load instantly and load a lot faster than other apps in this build. 

I'm glad that the Calendar and Mail applications are separate (at least in this build). I never did like the idea of combining the two.

The Modern UI design is dead :( (For the most part). Now that doesn't mean that these new mail and calendar apps aren't superior to Windows 8.1's, as I haven't used them. 

The Modern UI design is dead :( (For the most part). Now that doesn't mean that these new mail and calendar apps aren't superior to Windows 8.1's, as I haven't used them. 

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I've previously written that the Windows 10 design is essentially the antithesis of Modern UI design language . . .

• Like 2

Windows 10 design is essentially the antithesis of Modern UI design language . . .

Antithesis? No, far from it. Get back to us when Windows looks like this:

dolmqhfsenz677yntun7.jpg

crime.jpg

IMG_5501.png

FlatvsSkeuomorphic7.jpg

Antithesis? No, far from it. Get back to us when Windows looks like this:

[snip]

You may be unaware that the Modern UI involved more than just flattening gradients. The interface also followed a set of principles such as "content before chrome," "doing more with less," and creating a consistent interface that brought users with "confidence, comfort, familiarity." http://video.ch9.ms/sessions/build/2012/2-116.pptx

You may be unaware that the Modern UI involved more than just flattening gradients. The interface also followed a set of principles such as "content before chrome," "doing more with less," and creating a consistent interface that brought users with "confidence, comfort, familiarity." http://video.ch9.ms/sessions/build/2012/2-116.pptx

Fast and fluid, authentically digital... etc. Yep.

But antithesis implies Windows 10 is the exact opposite of Metro/Modern. I think it's more of a slight concession.

• Like 2

But antithesis implies Windows 10 is the exact opposite of Metro/Modern. I think it's more of a slight concession.

The only similarity that I see between the Windows 8 and Windows 10 UI is that both are flat. Other than that, I believe that they're completely different from each other.

HUGE concession if you're using Tablet Mode.

HUGE concession if you're using Tablet Mode.

In fact, these principles:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh781237.aspx

are practically thrown out the window. 

The most hilarious thing happened to me today. On my sister's ipad mini, I was reading an app, trying to switch to safari I swiped in from the left edge. Obviously it didn't do anything, but it felt natural because I use the gesture across my laptop, Surface, and Surface Pro 3, something that seems very intuitive for a tablet UI. They need to bring power back to the edges in Windows 10's tablet mode.

Just a quick note:

For build 10051, photos app is now version 15.319.16340.0

You can now drag windows in Task View between desktops (Is this new?)

Windows CTRL Left/Right moves between desktops

There is a programmer mode in the new calc

You know, speaking of which, it seems users of the phone version aren't too happy either. Most Windows 10 phone complaints are about its bad user interface changes.

Yeah. In many ways, Windows 10 has completely gone backwards.

Just a quick note:

For build 10051, photos app is now version 15.319.16340.0

You can now drag windows in Task View between desktops (Is this new?)

Windows CTRL Left/Right moves between desktops

There is a programmer mode in the new calc

Nope. They came with b10049. :)

Grrrrrr! I can't get my 10041 build to upgrade to 10049!

I got 22GB allocated to this VM and I've freed over 2GB and I'm still stuck at this!!!

I got 10GB free

post-361542-0-47463500-1428238131.png

It's simply impossible to copy anything from the new Outlook Mail app, since it never really registers it at all. Still having the same previous clipboard content. 

Grrrrrr! I can't get my 10041 build to upgrade to 10049!

I got 22GB allocated to this VM and I've freed over 2GB and I'm still stuck at this!!!

I got 10GB free

attachicon.gifwtf.PNG

This may give you some help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/problems-with-disk-space-and-installation-time-in/2651166f-c1fb-4415-a0f8-ebd7b7312de5?tm=1428109839126

Yeah, while I love Windows 10 on my laptop, a lot of things seem to be getting much worse for tablets. I hope it's a temporary thing. The problem are the Modern UI haters who complain for no reason.

Should I make the VM's VHD a fixed one instead of a dynamic one? Would that improve the performance to be at least bearable?

Fixed-size virtual hard drives (regardless of format - or what you use for VM software) always perform better than variable-sized drives Why would Hyper-V be any different there?

Fixed-size virtual hard drives (regardless of format - or what you use for VM software) always perform better than variable-sized drives Why would Hyper-V be any different there?

Tried that. Performance was still beyond horrible. It is all good now, the VHDXs are on my system SSD instead of on the storage HDD. Performance is fine this way.

Dynamic VHDXs, by the way, since my SSD is not that big.

Yeah, while I love Windows 10 on my laptop, a lot of things seem to be getting much worse for tablets. I hope it's a temporary thing. The problem are the Modern UI haters who complain for no reason.

I disagree.  I think the problem is Microsoft trying to merge two/three different devices under the same UI/UX.  

guys stop arguing and help me and other with windows 10 preview issues.

and for the UI debate:

post-361542-0-68072400-1428242543.jpg