[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Progman.exe was not "buried hip-deep".  Both winfile and progman could be ran simply by Start > Run > Progman (or winfile).  Both files located within the windows directory.  Hardly "buried".  Microsoft even had a KB article explaining how to make progman your default shell.  Heck, even I ran it as a default for a couple of days.  Wasn't hard...and it was there (unlike Win 8 sans start menu)

Regarding the third parties.  Yes, I'd rather have a start menu built in not a third party.  I use Classic Shell in Windows 8...and though it does the job well...I'm still very well aware it is a third party (by little odd behaviors here and there)

If including a start menu upsets you to the point of getting hot under the collar...would you be happy if they made a plain operating system free of anything other than APIs software required?  Otherwise, aren't you throwing every third party under the bus by including x, y z program?

Anyway, this particular third party start menu discussion is trivial to me.  Not sure the argument or case you're trying to make.  /shrugs

The point I am trying to make I that the third-parties got fired through no fault of their own - that is, in fact, why I asked what they did wrong. They did not a thing wrong - according to their own customers - and they get "fired" anyway? How much in the way of sense does that make? (Why the same argument does NOT apply to Diskeeper vs. Disk Optimizer - both were written by the same developer - Condusiv. Why Condusiv has NOT taken what they learned from Disk Optimizer and applied it to Diskeeper is confusing - since they certainly took all the features of Diskeeper 10 and planted them rather firmly in Disk Optimizer. Even more confusing is that Diskeeper is still being sold into the commercial marketplace.) Killing third-party developers without cause is bad juju - that was, in fact, the entire point of the Netscape Case. What does THIS action say about us - the Windows user base?

82% support with Experimental Features on ES6.

-----------------------

With ASM.js ON:

Cvoe6qZ.png

With ASM.js OFF:

ajLVlVP.png

How does that compare to the competition? 

How does that compare to the competition? 

First *Happy Birthday*.

Second, Firefox 37.0.1 [Not fair comparison, I should have tested Nightly but still]

URyjmz1.png

First *Happy Birthday*.

Second, Firefox 37.0.1 [Not fair comparison, I should have tested Nightly but still]

URyjmz1.png

Thanks!

When Windows went from 3.1 to Windows 95 no one questioned whether the Windows 95 interface was better.   

Actually, a lot of people did. The Internet just wasn't prevalent enough to hear most of it.

Actually, a lot of people did. The Internet just wasn't prevalent enough to hear most of it.

...and those that did could still run progman as their default shell.  It wasn't buried, MS has a KB detailing how one could make it their default...etc.  

...and those that did could still run progman as their default shell.  It wasn't buried, MS has a KB detailing how one could make it their default...etc.  

And very few even did, or even knew how to.

There were complainers. My aunt sorely missed program manager. Go Google groups aka usenet back in the day? Like start menu replacements there were program manager ones on how to get it back and whining how file explorer was superior etc.

The only reason I don't miss Program Manager now is I have the Start Screen. But for 17 years, the Menu was forced on us.

And while PM ay have been included, it was not advertised. I only found out about its inclusion in the middle of the Start Screen complaints.

Source?

Myself. Not once did I ever see my dad's friends or coworkers use ProgMon on Windows 95, when I used to shadow him at work.

We all gotta start somewhere, right?

Myself. Not once did I ever see my dad's friends or coworkers use ProgMon on Windows 95, when I used to shadow him at work.

Well for the sake of beating a dead horse, that hardly constitutes a large number nor a statistically relevancy. What is a fact, as I mentioned previously, is that Microsoft included it up to SP2 and they had a KB on how to make it your default shell. Wasn't hard nor was it buried...it was there if you wanted it. Those are facts.

And it is progman, not progmon which was the .ini file that saved the various program manager settings.

I do recall several people that I knew complaining about the interface changes of Win95. Many felt they were faster, more productive with Program and File Managers. They didn't like the Start menu because they just preferred (and were used to) the cascading windows of Program Manager. Some of the people I knew didn't like the 3d look of the UI, either, and they missed some of the more fine-grained UI control that 3.x had over 95.

So there were valid complaints people had about Win95. How widespread they were, and how much of it was just people moaning about change, I don't know.

I do recall several people that I knew complaining about the interface changes of Win95. Many felt they were faster, more productive with Program and File Managers. They didn't like the Start menu because they just preferred (and were used to) the cascading windows of Program Manager. Some of the people I knew didn't like the 3d look of the UI, either, and they missed some of the more fine-grained UI control that 3.x had over 95.

So there were valid complaints people had about Win95. How widespread they were, and how much of it was just people moaning about change, I don't know.

Quillz, the complaints occurred back during the beta OF Windows 95, as did the articles by Ed Bott (PC Computing) and Frederic March (Windows Magazine) - if you were in that as late as beta 4 (which is prior to the first Release Candidate), you were well aware of the debate. (I was on the pro-Start menu side of that debate - despite my going back to Windows 1.1; the most vociferous anti-Start folks came to Windows even later - most of them with 3.x. In short, they had just settled in and were having to learn a new paradigm - sound familiar?)

• Like 3

I was hoping they'd fix the scaling on modern apps so they're not to wide causing half the stuff on the right side to be invisible and the settings menus for apps to appear outside the screen/window :/

I was hoping they'd fix the scaling on modern apps so they're not to wide causing half the stuff on the right side to be invisible and the settings menus for apps to appear outside the screen/window :/

Same here.

Which apps?