[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

When was Windows 8 feature complete? before BUILD? Is there a possibility that they continue adding features after BUILD?

They might do that if those new features don't impact APIs in any dramatic way.  I expect all the new APIs to be locked down at BUILD so the SDK they give out, updated version because there's a preview SDK out right now iirc, should be near final.

They might do that if those new features don't impact APIs in any dramatic way.  I expect all the new APIs to be locked down at BUILD so the SDK they give out, updated version because there's a preview SDK out right now iirc, should be near final.

Well I think what you see now is what we will get.

new features will be in threshold 2016. It is nearly May and this thing goes RTM in June?! Ya aint gonna happen. Unless they mean freeze at June and fix the bugs with Windows Update when on August 31st it comes on new pcs.

I think I will sadly stick with the now outdated WIndows 7 longer as the current builds are not stable quality at all unlike Windows 7 which were rock solid with just 1 bug  (mp3) before it went RTM!

Lets hope for Aero and real icons that are not flat. I will be mad if I have to wait until 2016 office 2013 style where they made it ugly on purpose right before freeze to make no colors and flat become familiar. I had to pay for office twice as office 2010 was removed from office 365 too

new features will be in threshold 2016. It is nearly May and this thing goes RTM in June?! Ya aint gonna happen. Unless they mean freeze at June and fix the bugs with Windows Update when on August 31st it comes on new pcs.

I think I will sadly stick with the now outdated WIndows 7 longer as the current builds are not stable quality at all unlike Windows 7 which were rock solid with just 1 bug  (mp3) before it went RTM!

Lets hope for Aero and real icons that are not flat. I will be mad if I have to wait until 2016 office 2013 style where they made it ugly on purpose right before freeze to make no colors and flat become familiar. I had to pay for office twice as office 2010 was removed from office 365 too

I am still largely expecting dramatic new features in the tablet mode. If not...

When was Windows 8 feature complete? before BUILD? Is there a possibility that they continue adding features after BUILD?

At Build 2011, when Windows 8 was shown, we got the first Windows Developer Preview and that build was all but feature complete. A lot of new things where added for the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and after that, a lot of changes where applied to the Windows 8 Release Preview. And after that, even the Windows 8 RTM got a bunch of additional changes too. So no, it was far from feature complete.

Looking at http://ms-vnext.net/Flights/, it seems that 10066, which is now in the fast ring, is the last one before 10100. Wonder which one we'll get.

Actually no, build 10066 comes AFTER 10100. It's just like the previous jump. All branches jumed from 9926 to 10000 except the fbl_awesome1501 branch, which continued to go up to 9942. fbl_impressive seems to be doing the same thing, as it is the only branch with a 10066 build.

*Sigh*

Again, we're far from seeing eveything Microsoft is building, by far not all branches got already merged with the branch that goes out to the public, and a lot will follow in the coming weeks. Microsoft has at least another 2,5 months of time according to rumours. And if you realy don't like it that much, just stick to Windows 7.

I agree, if Windows 10 is due in June, then they have ALOT of work to do between now and then. 
I love the improvement of Windows 10 has over Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 was just crap anyway but I can't possibly see how they intend to release it in June in a final polished state. MAYBE September, or October but there's no way in hell it can be feature complete and bug free come the end of june.  

I agree, if Windows 10 is due in June, then they have ALOT of work to do between now and then. 

I love the improvement of Windows 10 has over Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 was just crap anyway but I can't possibly see how they intend to release it in June in a final polished state. MAYBE September, or October but there's no way in hell it can be feature complete and bug free come the end of june.  

I don't think they're actually aiming for it to be feature complete or bug free. I think June is more of a 'get the major features in and make it reasonably stable'. If the upcoming Redstone update is giving any indication, they're going to treat Windows more like an app (or service to use their preferred word), that's to say they'll release it now but push out more and frequent updates to it. 

I don't think they're actually aiming for it to be feature complete or bug free. I think June is more of a 'get the major features in and make it reasonably stable'. If the upcoming Redstone update is giving any indication, they're going to treat Windows more like an app (or service to use their preferred word), that's to say they'll release it now but push out more and frequent updates to it. 

And people ask me why I'm getting my doubts with it ...

And people ask me why I'm getting my doubts with it ...

I don't think it's actually much different from what we had before, in the sense they usually tried to squash the show stopper bugs in previous releases and then release a service pack a year down the line. Now, they're basically chopping that service pack into bits and delivering it over the course of the year. 

I don't think it's actually much different from what we had before, in the sense they usually tried to squash the show stopper bugs in previous releases and then release a service pack a year down the line. Now, they're basically chopping that service pack into bits and delivering it over the course of the year. 

How are they chopping it into bits while Service Packs already are packes of small updates that got released before the actual SP?

Windows 10 will have a 2-week long bug fix periode before RTM (as Aul said on Twitter a while ago) which should be enough to get out the latest major glitches. After the RTM, they will start working on a Roll-up release, like thye have done with every Windows up until now and release that as a day-one update. And then we have the second Threshold update later this year.

How are they chopping it into bits while Service Packs already are packes of small updates that got released before the actual SP?

Windows 10 will have a 2-week long bug fix periode before RTM (as Aul said on Twitter a while ago) which should be enough to get out the latest major glitches. After the RTM, they will start working on a Roll-up release, like thye have done with every Windows up until now and release that as a day-one update. And then we have the second Threshold update later this year.

Weren't Service Packs basically a collection of previous patches? I suppose these new updates will also include features, so even the bigger one (such as Redstone) won't quite fit the previous SP description. 

Now, they're basically chopping that service pack into bits and delivering it over the course of the year. 

But I personally don't like this way ... Especially when it's the 2nd time when they do that [ after Windows 8&8.1 episode ] .

Eugh they are going down the route of video games now. Day 1 5GB patches to fix bugs. VERY unprofessional. 

• Like 2

What im saying is the operating system itself should be 'complete'. That is 100% working, bug free, feature complete. Metro apps like Spartan, Mail, etc can be updated later on via the store but he OS itself, SHOULD be complete. And how it stands at the moment, considering how fast they are getting builds out, are at least 4-5 months away from being finished, Thats just the OS. Once its out, the only things that should go though Windows update are security patches, drivers, feature enhancements and definition updates. Thats what I reckon anyway. 

You guys are comparing the fast ring builds we get now to what we'll get at RTM as being the same, they're not going to be.  Once MS puts the final locks on feature sets then stability will come.  Right now these builds still have things in flux, and they're clear about how buggy they can be from the start.

Specially when you install a leaked build, those are going to be even more buggy than the official ones, things in those that are broke they don't fix, even when they can, because it's just for partners to test specific things on, not run as a daily work OS.

I expect to get more stable and less buggy builds after the BUILD conference.

Specially when you install a leaked build, those are going to be even more buggy than the official ones, things in those that are broke they don't fix, even when they can, because it's just for partners to test specific things on, not run as a daily work OS.

Even if I'm agree with you here , they shouldn't think like that ...

Bugs are bugs , no matter what ... Fix'em !

That's why we invest time and money on their OS .

Even if I'm agree with you here , they shouldn't think like that ...

Bugs are bugs , no matter what ... Fix'em !

That's why we invest time and money on their OS .

No reason to fix something unless they are absolutely sure they want to have that feature or implementation finalized, else it would be a waste of time to fix something that will be scrapped later on.

That's why a lot of things are still experimental, more and more gets finalized, but not everything is feature complete yet. George is right, though, BUILD would be the perfect time for the actual API and development kit to be stable and finalized, along with the builds themselves as well.

What im saying is the operating system itself should be 'complete'. That is 100% working, bug free, feature complete. Metro apps like Spartan, Mail, etc can be updated later on via the store but he OS itself, SHOULD be complete. And how it stands at the moment, considering how fast they are getting builds out, are at least 4-5 months away from being finished, Thats just the OS. Once its out, the only things that should go though Windows update are security patches, drivers, feature enhancements and definition updates. Thats what I reckon anyway. 

it's an OS, it's never 100% done, rolling or fast release cycles is far better than the old 3-4 or even more cycles. 

it's an OS, it's never 100% done, rolling or fast release cycles is far better than the old 3-4 or even more cycles. 

But users with XP claim it worked fine for 12 years. Windows 7  users will say it was damn solid in 2009 and still are not suffering by sticking. My point is users want stability and not changing everything all the time for the sake of it.

If my certifications in my MCSE next fall require WIndows 10 I will switch. Otherwise I will wait for another year or 2. My Windows 7 box is very stable and I get nervous with the thought of changes. I noticed when I tried Windows 8,1 it had issues with Update failing just as an example. Windows 7 does not have this problem. Sometimes a boring release can be pretty damn stable. I know this terrifies MS with all the business users and luddites refusing to change and holding off money and new technolotgies for folks who need to provide support to the older stuff. But from a Joe Six pack perspective his machine works just fine.

An OS needs to be solid on release with updates slowly or people will cling to the old like they did with XP. I got into a flamewar here with someone who is insistent XP was better than 7. He got this idea because it *looked* like Vista so it must be based on it. Do we want this from Windows 10? When redstone aka 10.1 comes out and looks like 10 they will insist 7 is better etc.

Here's my sketch on how Windows 10 could go with evolved appbar instead of hamburger menus (sorry for russian UI, but you'll get the idea):

post-274624-0-45278500-1429498404.jpg

post-274624-0-85663300-1429498422.jpg

post-274624-0-49175100-1429498437.jpg

those rounded icons could be replaced with new borderless ones, I'm not against that

Also in portrait mode I would place it in the bottom of the app, like WP apps have. That would be the key difference from current hamburger menus.

Only problem I see is that Windows 8 swipe from the bottom gesture wouldn't make sense with this and I really would want to have that kind of gesture back.

• Like 2

I'm starting to believe that the option to have transparency in the titlebars is not coming, we are approaching may (rtm june or july?) and it's now or never for 10.0...

Has anyone heard or noticed anything about it?

I really hope it does, it's something I always missed in 8.x

I'm starting to believe that the option to have transparency in the titlebars is not coming, we are approaching may (rtm june or july?) and it's now or never for 10.0...

July ...

By the latest pictures of W10 , I can say I won't upgrade to it ...