[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Well, I was for builds every 2 weeks and we're on the third week since the last build. And I'm not dying for it, but I still would like to try it. The new theming options, the faster WinRT apps, Outlook Mail and Outlook Calendar.

Windows 10 is the OS we didn't ask for nor deserve. :(

what its gona be the best OS yet. You are just mad they took all of those metro elements out ..Get with the times lol

Exactly .

But MS won't care about us , as always .

yet they are giving it free for a year.. good god how ungrateful can you get?

• Like 2

what its gona be the best OS yet. You are just mad they took all of those metro elements out ..Get with the times lol

yet they are giving it free for a year.. good god how ungrateful can you get?

You '' judge '' it too well , counting on a beta release planned OS as W10 is ...

Free for 1 year ... Then I have to pay for this ?

Nevermind .

And Windows 8 was? I feel the exact opposite about Windows 10 as I did 8. It may not be perfect but it's better than 8. Also it's free. So it has that going for it.

• Like 2

I can definitely say the same for Windows 8... except it's  "Windows 8.. the OS we didn't ask for nor want."  Ah well.. can't please everyone. 

• Like 2

And Windows 8 was? I feel the exact opposite about Windows 10 as I did 8. It may not be perfect but it's better than 8. Also it's free. So it has that going for it.

It might not have pleased everyone, but it was the big step forward we needed. Now with Windows 10, we have a broken release that is a major step backward. How can anyone say otherwise, when it doesn't even work well with Microsoft's own tablets? Did they forget they make tablets?

• Like 3

Now you know how some of us felt about Windows 8 and it's start screen.

It might not have pleased everyone, but it was the big step forward we needed. Now with Windows 10, we have a broken release that is a major step backward. How can anyone say otherwise, when it doesn't even work well with Microsoft's own tablets? Did they forget they make tablets?

While Windows 8 may have been a step forward in tablets, some feel it was a step back for the mouse and keyboard. While it's true a mouse and keyboard still worked just fine for the start screen people, didn't want to click stuff and be greeted with full screen UI elements. In some cases more clicks were needed.

Why are some of you judging an unfinished product? Windows 10 now is still a work in progress. It will be more refined by the time RTM comes around.

Now you know how some of us felt about Windows 8 and it's start screen.

While Windows 8 may have been a step forward in tablets, some feel it was a step back for the mouse and keyboard. While it's true a mouse and keyboard still worked just fine for the start screen people, didn't want to click stuff and be greeted with full screen UI elements. In some cases more clicks were needed.

It wasn't a step backward for keyboard users (in my humble opinion), due to the fact that Search (which actually works in 8, compared to 7, Vista, or XP) was pretty much keyboard-primary - in short, you couldn't really leverage Search without one (or the virtual keyboard for touch-screen devices); where it was a step backward was for Start-menu-centric pointing-device users - which, naturally, led to a great deal of screamage on THAT front.  In fact, 8 led to the divorce of the mouse FROM the keyboard - which certainly wasn't expected.  If you are keyboard-centric, you could maneuver better around 8 than was the case with 7 - or almost any other Windows OS back to 9x, if not all the way back to 3.x/NT 3.x - what the Explorer UI of 9x-7 put together, 8 divorced.

That is what I meant by a major paradigm-shift - the pointing device was not the primary driver in terms of using the OS any more.  It wasn't touch that was the problem with 8 - it is that it was no longer the pointing device that drove everything.

• Like 2

I don't own a Microsoft tablet and I don't know anyone who does. So yeah.. couldn't care less about that.

And it's quite unfair to say it's a broken release when it's not even officially been released yet.

• Like 2

I don't own a Microsoft tablet and I don't know anyone who does. So yeah.. couldn't care less about that.

And it's quite unfair to say it's a broken release when it's not even officially been released yet.

Then you really don't understand the workflow people are losing.

Then you really don't understand the workflow people are losing.

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care considering what I said.

You're not forced to use Windows 10 after all. Stick with 8 if that's what you like. Just like those of us who didn't like 8 stuck with 7.

• Like 2

Exact same thing could be said for Windows 8.  It was a failure and Microsoft is now trying to correct its mistakes.

You '' judge '' it too well , counting on a beta release planned OS as W10 is ...

Free for 1 year ... Then I have to pay for this ?

Nevermind .

What?  They are offering 10 free one year.  After that (if you haven't purchased or need new licenses) you need to pay.  It is not going to be a subscription based model.

How are you already judging Windows 10?  Last I checked it isn't RTM?  I haven't been overly impressed with 10 yet either...but I'm certainly not giving up on it.  Microsoft certainly can not do any worse than Windows 8x.

since when you spoke for all the people?

He always speaks for the people...his way and his vision for the Operating System is always correct.    :woot:

/snip

where it was a step backward was for Start-menu-centric pointing-device users - which, naturally, led to a great deal of screamage on THAT front.  In fact, 8 led to the divorce of the mouse FROM the keyboard - which certainly wasn't expected. 

That is what I meant by a major paradigm-shift - the pointing device was not the primary driver in terms of using the OS any more.  It wasn't touch that was the problem with 8 - it is that it was no longer the pointing device that drove everything.

Yet, the mouse is still the primary means of getting around the desktop.  Just another reason, as you said, Windows 8 was a step backwards and ultimately failed which has caused Microsoft for backtrack...to the chagrin of Dot and other folks who enjoyed 8.

Exact same thing could be said for Windows 8.  It was a failure and Microsoft is now trying to correct its mistakes.

What?  They are offering 10 free one year.  After that (if you haven't purchased or need new licenses) you need to pay.  It is not going to be a subscription based model.

How are you already judging Windows 10?  Last I checked it isn't RTM?  I haven't overly impressed with 10 yet either...but I'm certainly not giving up on it.  After all...Microsoft certainly can not do any worse than Windows 8x.

He always speaks for the people...his way and his vision for the Operating System is always correct.    :woot:

jjk - are you, as a user, primarily pointing-device driven (as opposed to keyboard-driven)?

If so, then I very much understand your issues - for the pointing-device-driven, 8 was certainly a major shake-up.  (It was, in fact, why I warned way back with the Consumer Preview, that such users had a massive learning curve ahead of them.)

The third-parties saw this as an opportunity - and jumped in with both feet.  (Hats off to the third parties - they did what they SHOULD do.)

However, that wasn't enough for some - they wanted a Start menu from Microsoft - despite their own grudging admissions that most of the third-party alternatives worked better than the Start menu from Windows 7 - arguably the best iteration pre-8.

However, even this mix of new-and-old isn't even satisfying all of you - so back to the third parties (that you attempted to have Microsoft throw under the bus) you have gone running.

What do you REALLY want - a reversion all the way back to 7?

A pure desktop based OS with the under the hood library/kernel/hardware/driver support from the newer versions of windows would be awesome.

jjk - are you, as a user, primarily pointing-device driven (as opposed to keyboard-driven)?

If so, then I very much understand your issues - for the pointing-device-driven, 8 was certainly a major shake-up.  (It was, in fact, why I warned way back with the Consumer Preview, that such users had a massive learning curve ahead of them.)

The third-parties saw this as an opportunity - and jumped in with both feet.  (Hats off to the third parties - they did what they SHOULD do.)

However, that wasn't enough for some - they wanted a Start menu from Microsoft - despite their own grudging admissions that most of the third-party alternatives worked better than the Start menu from Windows 7 - arguably the best iteration pre-8.

However, even this mix of new-and-old isn't even satisfying all of you - so back to the third parties (that you attempted to have Microsoft throw under the bus) you have gone running.

I believe it would be safe to say that majority of users are mouse users (be it at work or personal).

Not really going to get back into the whole third party being thrown under a bus argument again...as I've already stated countless times how rubbish it is.

A reversion back all the way to 7?  No.  There are a bunch of welcomed features in both 8 and 10.  The UI, however, yes...Windows 7 is superior to 8 with regards to pointing devices.  I see no reason Microsoft couldn't have had both...as the start screen is excellent for touch based devices and 7-style UI is better for pointing devices.  Win win.