[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Well, this build seems a bit better (aside from the known issues mentioned in the bug release).  Spartan is faster / more stable though the inability to go full screen on YouTube videos is a deal breaker.  I'm sure this and the ability to select alternate search engines will be forthcoming.  Not entirely sure, at this stage, what the advantage is of using it over IE or Chrome is though.

Windows 10 is shaping up nicely.  Will be nice once they include a method to adjust the start menu to your liking (similar to how you could create folders / jump lists / etc. in Windows 7) ...been patiently waiting.

One nagging issue for me.  Creating shortcuts in the Links (i.e. quick launch) produces the Open File -Security Warning dialog box.  I've been unable to figure out how to prevent this and Google searches (and fixes for similar issues in 7 and 8) haven't been able to rectify it.  Oddly enough I created a Chrome shortcut a few builds back that still works properly and doesn't produce the dialog box.  Creating shortcuts in more recent builds have ended with this dang dialog box though.  

For example in this snapshot the Chrome shortcut works great, though I've been unable to create new [insert program here] shortcuts without the dialog box.  The qbt shortcut gives dialog box.

Just odd.

Is this really supposed to launch in July?   :/

post-21852-0-89701000-1429811114.jpg

"Tablet mode" just seem to be worse than ever in new build. Not only taskbar is now forced in fullscreen mode, it hides all the apps from it and becomes even more of a useless huge waste of space than it was before. We have freaking new app switcher, why not make it so that taskbar only appears in taskview (as it does anyway) triggering it with swipe from left edge as it already is? They're out of their minds.

And new Mail app is just garbage, how could they come up with such poor broken UI/UX with their resources is beyond me.

• Like 2

And new Mail app is just garbage, how could they come up with such poor broken UI/UX with their resources is beyond me.

It is still a work in progress. Please do leave feedback if this bothers you as the company supposedly listens.

Everything seems to work fine (after I reinstalled the display drivers), but the MSN apps keep crashing. All of them. I open them and they work fine until the data loads. Once it does, the app freezes and crashes. And I can't look for updates on the Store (Beta), it'll try to update itself and crash.

(TWS) fbl_impressive Professional 10066 showing up for me in WU now.

Won't install, error 0x80246017

Anyone else?

Well, seems it's a known issue and they're looking into it.

*edit- Looks like they fixed the WU issue and that is not showing any longer.

"Tablet mode" just seem to be worse than ever in new build. Not only taskbar is now forced in fullscreen mode, it hides all the apps from it and becomes even more of a useless huge waste of space than it was before. We have freaking new app switcher, why not make it so that taskbar only appears in taskview (as it does anyway) triggering it with swipe from left edge as it already is? They're out of their minds.

hiding apps in tablet mode is a setting, so it\s an option you decide on. this suggest they are working to tweak how the taskbar will appear and be used in tablet mode and I Suspect it'll probably be visible only when wanted/needed, but we'll see tablet mode is still evolving into what it'll finally become, it's clear that MS is listening to feedback on tablet mode and changing it to what the actual tablet users want. 

mail app has the same UI/UX as the old mail app, only now with more feature and in line with the outlook website and application design and layout. it's pretty damn great really. 

The task bar in tablet mode will auto-hide unless set not to, it just doesn't do so right now because they want to test how it looks/works, if it just gets hidden then people won't give it the same amount of attention.   There's also talk that a back button might be added to the left of the task bar, before the start button, which mirrors the controls on WP plus having the additional task view button, so 4 total by default.  Don't know if that's changed now though.

As far as Spartan goes, with the plan to add extensions coming, I don't know if they'll add a RSS reader to it, they probably see fewer and fewer people using the RSS feature in IE and figure it's a dying option to have to worry about.   Someone could just write a extension for RSS later if MS doesn't add it in.

Performance and standards support are the key things to look at first.

The task bar in tablet mode will auto-hide unless set not to, it just doesn't do so right now because they want to test how it looks/works, if it just gets hidden then people won't give it the same amount of attention.   There's also talk that a back button might be added to the left of the task bar, before the start button, which mirrors the controls on WP plus having the additional task view button, so 4 total by default.  Don't know if that's changed now though.

As far as Spartan goes, with the plan to add extensions coming, I don't know if they'll add a RSS reader to it, they probably see fewer and fewer people using the RSS feature in IE and figure it's a dying option to have to worry about.   Someone could just write a extension for RSS later if MS doesn't add it in.

Wouldn't the back button then act as task view?

Wouldn't the back button then act as task view?

Which is why I think they might have dropped the idea of using it and just stick with having the windows button, Cortana and task view.  We'll have to wait and see what tablet mode changes they bring, there's talk that they've got more coming and haven't shown us yet, maybe at BUILD.

You haven't made a single post in anything related to Windows 10 that makes sense.

It's not a beta and has never been called one. If you're one to be able to get that free upgrade, you'll have that free for life of the device. You won't suddenly have to pay for that version after a year. Now if you needed a copy for a brand new system you just built, then yeah, you would have to buy a copy.

You have no idea what you're talking about and are slowly going back into that "troll-ish" mode you were in a while back here. Constantly making up crap from nothing and getting angry if people don't hate the same thing you do. It's not all about you, buddy.

I call BS on people saying that Spartan is bringing up malware tabs when they haven't even used it. That makes zero sense. You cleary did something if you managed to make that happen. Oh it just magically did it? Right

It's clearly that I'm not the biggest fan of what Windows is right now , but I faithfully accepted when even my good regards about its old builds got rejected . Do the same .

Thank you for telling me how's going with '' paid '' version of Windows 10 , now's way better .

Many of you told me I'm pointless , and I guess they're all right as much as I'm taking the information itself without to prove it in any way ...

I really can't get why people suppose I'm suddenly becoming angry ; just because I'm quite ironic and I'm starting a really productive discussion doesn't mean I'm one of that haters . 

Also , I'd like you to send me a PM and show me the '' ok '' me vs the '' crap '' me .

You can share all your thoughts [ but along proofs ] ...

Coming back to Windows 10 , don't you think it's a little bit early to talk abut Spartan and stuff ?

How many did the same with Mozilla Firefox 1 ?

I personally like Spartan Project browser , but not all that comes with it ...

Can't we wait till October 2016 to see the real deal of MS work ? 

There's changes coming yet to Continuum. Hopefully Microsoft heard our feedback that we want Windows 8.1 workflow for tablets, but I'm not holding my breath for anything fancy this late into the game...

post-420821-0-71150100-1429875051.png

Why are people forgetting that everything we see is pretty much stripped down versions of what they have going on within Microsoft? Mainly referring to people in this thread who should know better. Some of you should know by now exactly how things like this work. They always save a lot of stuff towards the end then start putting more and more into the builds they release to public

Do people honestly think Microsoft doesn't have a group working on all the tablet and touch related features? I thought they've made it pretty clear that these Technical Previews have been all about the desktop and Start Menu side of things for now. Enough people whined about the Start Menu being gone that they brought it back and want to make sure it works like people want. Nothing wrong with that. A Start Screen would be nothing more than that same Start Menu made full screen. People seemed to have forgotten this.

Even if it is set to release sometime in the next few months, they have plenty of time. We have no clue what they are doing or exactly how far along they are within their walls. Wasn't it someone in this thread that showed they are actually somewhere in the 1001XX range of builds?

I don't know. Just gets old seeing people here on Neowin acting a like they have no idea how things like this work when they clearly do. Just don't have very much patience it seems. People complained about how long it took them to release Vista. They greatly improve their release cycle and people are still impatient.

Don't even get me started on the group of people who use/used the Technical Preview on a "work machine" then got all kinds of upset when something happened causing work to be lost and they turned around to blame Microsoft for all of it LMAO. Oh and the people who just won't shut up about getting Aero Glass back. I'd like to just slap some of them. Won't upgrade from Windows 7 just or the fact they'd lose Glass. That's just sad that people actually do that.

• Like 2

Even if it is set to release sometime in the next few months, they have plenty of time. We have no clue what they are doing or exactly how far along they are within their walls. Wasn't it someone in this thread that showed they are actually somewhere in the 1001XX range of builds?

I thought build 1061 is the latest so far ...

Someone here stated that it came off right after 10100 [ for my wonder ] .

Can you please help me understand which is which ?

It is still a work in progress. Please do leave feedback if this bothers you as the company supposedly listens.

I did of course and browsed through similar feedbacks to add +

It might be a work in progress, but it's a terrible start. Entire UI needs to be redone. Calendar app is fine though.

Well the thing about taskbar is, they seem to forget all the time that it can be placed on any of the 4 screen sides. Also this persistent attempt to push taskbar into tablet mode seems as if they want to mimic Android UI which isn't so good.

Do people honestly think Microsoft doesn't have a group working on all the tablet and touch related features?

Considering that Microsoft has touted what we see now *as* the tablet features, yes, I don't think there is any one inside Microsoft working on tablet anything. Who knows, maybe that's changed now with the resounding negative feedback.

Continuum was designed just to run apps full screen with a touch unfriendly task bar, and nothing more. Somehow they thought that would be enough. Idiots.

• Like 2

I thought build 1061 is the latest so far ...

Someone here stated that it came off right after 10100 [ for my wonder ] .

Can you please help me understand which is which ?

Ring1.png?itok=QsY-XVD8

The latest publicly available build is 10061. Expect a newer build to come out for the BUILD conference next week.

There hasn't been any build in 101xx range in the fbl_impressive branch. Last I checked, the latest fbl_impressive build was 10070.

The latest publicly available build is 10061. Expect a newer build to come out for the BUILD conference next week.

And now comes the killing question : Why 10061 came off right after the '' 10100 '' one ?

Where's their logic ?

There hasn't been any build in 101xx range in the fbl_impressive branch. Last I checked, the latest fbl_impressive build was 10070.

Interesing .

Liking the build so far. as we know the new people app is broken..  can we get the "old people" app installed somehow? I would have to download the old mail and calendar as well I suppose?

And now comes the killing question : Why 10061 came off right after the '' 10100 '' one ?

Where's their logic ?

Interesing .

bc they are testing different things on different builds.