[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

This is the worst thing Microsoft could do to Windows 10... Are they %%#$&*@ insane?!

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android/3174/windows-android

Android apps without having to deal with Android itself? Sounds good to me! A lot of people stick with a mobile OS, not so much out of loyalty, but because they've invested so much in the ecosystem. If they can use their existing Android apps in Windows, that's one big barrier to switching removed.

• Like 2

I don't know how to feel about having Android apps on Windows. Like many people stated, now not many people will develop for Windows, but then again, as long as they're using Windows, why not?

This is the worst thing Microsoft could do to Windows 10... Are they %%#$&*@ insane?!

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android/3174/windows-android

Oh heavens no. No, no, no.

What incentive will there be to develop for Windows (Phone) then? I doubt that having one application run across all platforms, by itself, will cut the mustard when applications developed for a significantly more popular mobile platform will be able to run on most of the same platforms, or more specifically, phones.

As far as I am concerned, universal applications

Yeah, I thin he was being sarcastic. Hey Studio384, let us know how that build 10074 is treating you :D

I'm hoping on some goodness and some news to put on my changelog. :)

Edit:

Anyway: "Checking for updates"

Silly installer, there are no updates.

Edit 2:

"Making sure everything is ready to install"

Edit 3:

"Installing Windows 10"

And that title is new, it used to say "Installing Windows 10 Technical Preview", of course, the "Technical Preview" brand is gone in this build, but it isn't replaced with "Insider Preview" in the installer.

Edit 4:

And for some reasons, that same screen went from 0% to 33% in just under a minute. It seems to go much faster on my device than it used to with other Preview I installed through ISO and Windows 8 and before. And that weren't virtual machines!

Things a i notice in 10074.(Besides what is on the front page of neowin)

New windows sound .

Small taskbar is now fixed.

Full screen start menu spacing is different. 

Ui changes in settings. 

Improvements to app preview on task bar. 

Right click desktop display settings and personalize now goes to settings app, but the old settings is still in CP. 

I don't know how to feel about having Android apps on Windows. Like many people stated, now not many people will develop for Windows, but then again, as long as they're using Windows, why not?

Unfortunately, too many folks take Windows (as an operating system) for granted - they have gotten complacent and assumed that Windows will never (as in ever) change.  Hence when Windows DID change with 8 (did it ever) these same complacent folks expended a LOT of energy to try to force Windows back to what they assumed it should always be.

However, those same attempts hit a massive roadblock - the changes in what hardware can run Windows actually predated Windows 8 to a large extent.  (About the only hardware that didn't change was phone hardware.)

Also, even with Windows 10, there is still a lot of complacency; why is it that - other than a few of us brave souls - we're not putting the OS on either 7-era or Vista-era hardware, and especially portable hardware, such as notebooks?

Where the heck did the thinking come from that new versions of Windows require new hardware?

What the heck happened to the OS upgrade marketplace?  Did it suddenly go away and die?

Newsflash - Microsoft still did NOT forget the OS upgrade market - though a lot of us as users apparently did.

My two notebooks (one Vista era and the other 7-era) are the sort of notebooks that got displaced by tablets, slates, and especially those running Android in the first wave of the Great Recession.  (Folks were apparently willing to give up screen size for battery life.)  I, on the other hand, refused to make that trade - I HATE having to squint.  Even 10.1-inch tablets are bringing the squintage - even compared to the smallest-screen typical notebook - thirteen inches, the screen size of Baby Pavilion.  However, with a tag-team of Windows 10 and an Android emulator of my choice (currently BlueStacks), I can do anything that Android tablets can do, and some things Android tablets can't do (can Android tablets write Android apps, for example) - and without having to squint.

And as far as developers not developing for Windows, why not?  Those that refuse to develop for Windows largely do so for reasons of philosophy (such as the no sideloading of apps intended for the Store) - that won't change.  Where Microsoft is counterattacking is with Visual Studio Community - one IDE that stretches across Windows and Android (including their respective app stores), for a cost of exactly none.  (And if you're wondering if there will be a 2015 version of VS Community, the answer is "yes"; don't take my word for it - hie to the VS home page and look for yourself.)

"But Visual Studio requires Hyper-V!" say the naysayers.  How far, wide, and back does Hyper-V reach? Quite a distance, actually - remember, Hyper-V originated on Windows Server.  There is one - and only one - difference between Hyper-V on Windows Server and Hyper-V on Windows 8 or later; Windows 8 and later require support for SLAT/EPT in the CPU; Windows Server (2008 thru 2012R2) does not.  If you don't have EPT support, dual-boot with Windows Server (any of the versions I mentioned) - VS Community will install on it (my desktop development platform is based on Windows Server 2012R2 on an Intel Q6600 - which has no EPT support).

And there are CPUs that DO support EPT in the portable side of PC-dom - from both Intel and AMD alike.  On the Intel side, it goes all the way back to Nehalem, and the introduction of the Core I-series - the successor to Core 2.  On the AMD side, support is even more widespread - it's in most of  the CPUs in the Athlon II and derivatives family, including both Phenom II and Turion II. (Turion II is especially interesting, as it saw duty in quite a few notebooks - branded notebooks from well-known notebooks players, such as Dell, HP, and even Toshiba.  Driver support is still available for the AMD chipset used with Turion II - on the graphics side, you would need/use the Catalyst Omega 14.12 driver - yes, it works with Windows 10 Technical Previews, as it's what drives Baby Pavilion.)  Result, I can do mobile development on the move.  Refusing to develop for Windows is drifting heavily into excuse-making territory.

Yes, more than likely this is prep work before Build tomorrow.

Darn it. I'm not gonna be home till 8 tonight. :(

I wonder if they'll leave it open?

I think the news is off from Thurrott, there have been other posts that talk about VS2015 allowing you to make a "cross-platform" app that works on Windows AND Android (v4.4 and 5.0) using C++.  I think the goal here is to allow developers to make Android apps in VS as easy as possible and with a simple click you also get a Windows universal app, and since the UI for apps between Windows Phone and Android is pretty much the same, they don't have to do any UI work specifically for WP, which I'm betting few wanted to do.

Spoiler: It's pretty.

attachicon.gifDesktop.png

Screenshots of anything new you might find that we haven't seen please.  Also, how is Spartan in this build?

So since this looks to be the build they give out to us tomorrow, I'm still betting they show us something newer, off of a different branch, that we don't get yet.  They've done this before at the past Windows 10 showings.

@Jan Is the start menu working again? I was foolish enough to put Windows 10 on our primary pc at home and now the start menu doesn't work in build 10061.

The "Welcome back, <name>" screen is back in this build. Also, the installer now says "Installing Windows" instead of "Installing Windows 10 Technical Preview" (I do not mean the pre-installation experience which I talked about earlier, but the actual installation).