[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I don't like the idea of hamburger menu within app content - universal button on title bar was IMO better. And I really do hope that app platform will get unified look before RTM build and guidelines will be followed and not changed - like they always liked to do so.

Hamburger menu in the title bar is a bad idea design wise and function. The title bar disappears when in full screen mode and windows phone app don't have title bars. 

BTW:- If there is an Android app support coming...wouldn't that mean that Android malware would also start working on Windows PC's & Phones??

they would all run in their own little virtual machine, so...

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but in 10074, it looks like there will be built-in game recording.  I launched a game and a popup mentioned I could start a game clip recording with Win + Alt + G.

Edit:  It seems there are a few button combos you can press while in a game now.

Win+ Alt+ G - starts a game clip recording

Win+ Alt+ R  - starts and stops recording

Win+ Alt+ Print Screen - takes a screenshot

Win +Alt + T - show/hides recording timer

Win + G - opens game bar

post-50114-0-13157400-1430302965.jpg

• Like 2

A little disappointing that there isn't a single change to Project Spartan in this build, through...

I was a bit disappointed as well, was hoping for bookmarks import/export feature, still ended up pasting all my bookmark folders into a deep location which on mine is  "C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Spartan_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\Spartan\User\Default\Favorites". I am still playing with it though.

Any sign of Settings -> Update & security -> For developers to be active later after /BUILD/ has started? Since currently it still crashes when you click on it.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but in 10074, it looks like there will be built-in game recording.  I launched a game and a popup mentioned I could start a game clip recording with Win + Alt + G.

Edit:  It seems there are a few button combos you can press while in a game now.

Win + G - opens game bar

mmm, nice find. I like this feature so far. Does it work? How is the software experience?

Tried to upgrade straight from 10041 (last official one before 10061) to the leaked 10074 and now the start menu, actions menu or any modern apps won't open :p It is truly f*****! :(

Looks like I will need to clean install it.

Trying to launch Spartan (from the taskbar) gave a registry error, something about a mismatched version lol!

Not for the slow ring, they will be going straight from 10041 to 10061, which will probably happen today with all these updates being released.

Stuff that get's me wired up:

- start screen cannot extend all the way up the screen,

- start menu cannot extend all the way to the right side of the screen

- all apps and power are -way- too close together

- don't like the all apps list, espc. on a tablet. Win8 way is much better/easier on the eyes

- cannot get windows to open/start with the full screen menu. Not even with checkbox turned on

- modern app refuse to open full screen, even in tablet mode. Where is that checkbox?

- modern apps in full screen revert back to window mode when switching apps.

- new swipe from left mechanims requires to many 'clicks' compared to win8

- universal apps are terribly buggy

- hamburger menu is under debate, not liking it so far.

- cortana is US only :-(

basically.... win10 on a tablet s***s b***s....... :-(

Stuff that get's me wired up:

- start screen cannot extend all the way up the screen,

because Microsoft doesn't want to confuse users that it is a full Start screen like 8/8.1

- start menu cannot extend all the way to the right side of the screen

see above

- all apps and power are -way- too close together

agree, was moved due to INSIDER FEEDBACK (not mine)

- don't like the all apps list, espc. on a tablet. Win8 way is much better/easier on the eyes

never liked it, try finding a new program (sideways *scroll scroll* scroll*)

- cannot get windows to open/start with the full screen menu. Not even with checkbox turned on

probably a bug.

- modern app refuse to open full screen, even in tablet mode. Where is that checkbox?

modern apps are now in windows, not full screen.. even when full screen theres chrome (title bar)

this really annoys me too

- new swipe from left mechanims requires to many 'clicks' compared to win8

haven't tried this

- universal apps are terribly buggy

agree, they are in alpha state (mail/calendar)

- hamburger menu is under debate, not liking it so far.

agree there too

- cortana is US only :-(

YES! :(

basically.... win10 on a tablet s***s b***s....... :-(

^

The power button is pretty badly placed.

Recent/All apps isn't too bad on PC, but it really needs more contrast between the menu items/groups and background.

I've never been a fan of the "hamburger" icon -or- name... a gear would be more traditional and direct. The hamburger menu, in my mind, is something for collapsing or expanding a UI element (sidebar, etc).

I've had all kinds of issues with the Mail app. Calendar works well, but Mail doesn't work well with pop3/smtp.

mmm, nice find. I like this feature so far. Does it work? How is the software experience?

It definitely works.  The clips it saves are in .mp4 and the video quality is ok but I understand since the file size is small.  I recorded a 30 second clip and it's 33MB.  All videos are stored in a folder called GameDVR inside your Videos folder. I uploaded the clip on my Google Drive so you can see the actually quality of the video rather than a compressed version if I uploaded on YouTube.  Link for the video is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2km9CUU_ghoS3ZKbzVEcUNJRTg/view?usp=sharing

I also used the game screenshot command as well.  These screenshots are saved as .tiff files and are stored in a folder called Screenshots inside the Pictures folder.  The screenshot I took shows the video recording indicator on the top right and a notification when a screenshot is saved.

JVMjORk.jpg

Win + G - opens game bar

Looking good, just horrible font rendering on that popup.

It definitely works.  The clips it saves are in .mp4 and the video quality is ok but I understand since the file size is small.  I recorded a 30 second clip and it's 33MB.  All videos are stored in a folder called GameDVR inside your Videos folder. I uploaded the clip on my Google Drive so you can see the actually quality of the video rather than a compressed version if I uploaded on YouTube.  Link for the video is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2km9CUU_ghoS3ZKbzVEcUNJRTg/view?usp=sharing

I also used the game screenshot command as well.  These screenshots are saved as .tiff files and are stored in a folder called Screenshots inside the Pictures folder.  The screenshot I took shows the video recording indicator on the top right and a notification when a screenshot is saved.

Hopefully there will be some settings somewhere to be able to adjust the quality/format it produces. Should be a setting to turn off the indicator and notification in screenshots as well.

Tried to upgrade straight from 10041 (last official one before 10061) to the leaked 10074 and now the start menu, actions menu or any modern apps won't open :p It is truly f*****! :(

Looks like I will need to clean install it.

Trying to launch Spartan (from the taskbar) gave a registry error, something about a mismatched version lol!

.You may want to clean-install 10074 anyway.  In fact, I did clean install 10074 Enterprise (replacing 10064 Enterprise), and it was - easily - the fastest clean install of Windows (x64 or x32) since XP.

The entirety of the middle section of the OOBE doesn't happen with a clean install.

One other difference - a clean-install now defaults to a local account or other institutional (such as school/work) account; you can convert to a Microsoft account later.

And I discovered the reason for my woes with DCUO - it is combination of OS-isms that require both client-side AND server-side fixes.  Both fixes have been applied to the (separate) PC Test Server and client already; they will migrate to the Live Server and client with either the next Episode (Halls of Power II) or Game Update 47 - both are due in May.

Hopefully there will be some settings somewhere to be able to adjust the quality/format it produces. Should be a setting to turn off the indicator and notification in screenshots as well.

Pretty sure there is, I didn't look around for any settings to change the quality and was just testing the OOBE.  The screenshot I took isn't the typical screenshot you'll see. I just took that one to show off the recording indicator and the notification. 

But you're right about being able to hide the recording indicator if you wanted to take a screenshot while recording though.

All three things you mention work fine for me. You sure you have tablet mode selected in the notification center?

It would be nice to have the -option- of making the start menu behave as in win8. You know, for the people who actually like it ;-)

Another three:

- start menu is extremely buggy, and is unresponsive/restarting in background very often.

- in tablet mode the icons are bigger, would it be so hard to move them away from each other a bit more, so you don't hit on of the many that are hovering in the right corner?

- feedback in Modern apps are done directly from the app, or from the feedback app.

Do the people at MS even use this themself? on a tablet?

For now I hide the taskbar, and hide all the icons on the rightside. Now it's only a clock, a kb button and the notification screen icon. Still not optimal......

All three things you mention work fine for me. You sure you have tablet mode selected in the notification center?

Yes. :-(

IMO the spacing is fine in tablet mode,  It would take way to much task bar space if it was spaced out any more. 

asdasd.jpg

try hitting one of them on a 7-8"tablet in one go... Good luck ;-)

After looking around you can change the video quality of your recordings.  There is a section for GameDVR in the XBOX app and you change the quality there.  It's very limited only allow you to change the video quality and resolution to either standard or high.

post-50114-0-53122000-1430312446.png