[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I'm using 1440p monitor so it's not a factor for me.

You know, that kind of thinking is what can potentially make Windows 10 just badly designed. When everyone goes "I use it 'this' way, screw others" the end product will just fail in all aspects. Microsoft just need to recall what Windows usually capable of in different setups and scenarios, accept that when touch is used, fingers can only travel so far before you have to hold the tablet/phone differently, remember that taskbar can and will be placed not only at the bottom and that means you can't design start menu/screen with only bottom position in mind. So far they seem to be very forgetful and too focused on limited certain things.

Phones w/ Display Adapter:

14b3ukm.png

10z95wj.png

Notice how the flipped back laptop only shows one screen not the tablet/desktop mode split like the previous family image did.

Store for Phones and small tablets:

1231fyf.png

Does anyone know how to set a different desktop background per monitor? The theme options that allowed that are gone now.

There is literally no way they would remove that functionality... right?

Is anyone else bothered by the lone back button in the taskbar tablet/desktop UI? Having part of the UI separated from the rest seems like a bad idea to me.

10074- "Start menu" collapses to the left when you begin searching for something.

"Display Settings" from right click on desktop not working, says:

ms-settings://display/

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

Remember, Spartan (now Edge) is the direct replacement for Modern IE - regular IE hasn't gone anywhere.

You know, that kind of thinking is what can potentially make Windows 10 just badly designed. When everyone goes "I use it 'this' way, screw others" the end product will just fail in all aspects. Microsoft just need to recall what Windows usually capable of in different setups and scenarios, accept that when touch is used, fingers can only travel so far before you have to hold the tablet/phone differently, remember that taskbar can and will be placed not only at the bottom and that means you can't design start menu/screen with only bottom position in mind. So far they seem to be very forgetful and too focused on limited certain things.

Problem THERE is that some of the hardware existed (but wasn't supported by the OS directly) pre-8.  Touch - of any sort - wasn't supported pre-8; heck, trackpads (let alone touchpads) weren't supported all that well either (and that was around before touch was, and especially on merely legacy laptops and notebooks).  Still, despite the under-supported hardware, Windows - even pre-8 - had better support for odd hardware sorts than anything else; what Windows 8 did was extend that lead, almost despite itself.

The REAL issue is that users not only took the wide-ranging hardware support for granted, they adapted to the under-supported hardware issues, and did a good job shoving square pegs into round holes hardware-support-wise.  Windows 8 started the process of actually rounding the pegs to match the holes; Windows 10 rounded the pegs still further.  THAT is where the balkfest REALLY began.  The poor economy (which is still the case in a lot of the world) severely slowed the uptake on new hardware; however, the learning curve is STILL a large part of the rest of the slow-up.

Tonight was my first use of Edge and damn, Spartan in (code) name.. Spartan in nature. I really hope they listen to the users and add some proper settings before release. :|

Tonight was my first use of Edge and damn, Spartan in (code) name.. Spartan in nature. I really hope they listen to the users and add some proper settings before release. :|

I am really hoping for RSS support.

Hmmm got 2 different results when clean installing the Leak 10074(2.7gig) and the official MS 10074 iso(3.7gig)

Blur is gone in the official release and in personalization the black  color tile is gone.

I am really hoping for RSS support.

I'm hopping for - re-open closed tab a home button and open homepage for new tabs.. you know the basic things IE has done forever. :rofl:

Hmmm got 2 different results when clean installing the Leak 10074(2.7gig) and the official MS 10074 iso(3.7gig)

Blur is gone in the official release and in personalization the black  color tile is gone.

If you are one of the unfortunate users who installed the operating system and did not receive blur, you may be happy to know that the feature can manually be enabled in Windows 10 build 10074. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize. Select the EnableBlurBehind DWORD key and set its value to 1. Restart Explorer.xYj4Kbm.png

Different target, Louisifer.

Edge (and Spartan and IE Modern before that) are about minimalism - Edge is an IE alternative, not an IE replacement.  (Note that regular IE didn't go anywhere.)

Some web sites (because of web site biases) will never (as in ever) be minimalist-browser-friendly - it's not alone an Edge (or Spartan, or even IE Modern before Spartan) problem.  For example - how many sites are all that friendly to a minimal (no add-ins OR plug-ins) Firefox (and clones), Chrome/Chromium, or even Opera/Vivaldi?  For example - a lot of the SAME sites that I had issues with in Spartan I had issues with in my Waterfox install - which is almost as minimalist as is feasible - Flash, the IDM add-on, and that's all.

From what I remember they said that IE will be optional for regular users and available default for corporations and public offices

Different target

IE will be phased out, Edge is its successor. none of the settings I want alter the minimalism.. I'm just hoping it becomes more useable by release, browsers shouldn't rely on plugins/extensions to be complete. :)

Strange question... Does anyone know if the new logo for Edge is going to be a "white E on blue square," kind of similar to the Project Spartan logo now, or if it will be a free-form shaped icon?

Strange question... Does anyone know if the new logo for Edge is going to be a "white E on blue square," kind of similar to the Project Spartan logo now, or if it will be a free-form shaped icon?

Seeing how it is a universal app it's likely going to be 'white e on blue square'.

Seeing how it is a universal app it's likely going to be 'white e on blue square'.

That's what I figured... I would have preferred a free-form shape, though.