[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I did an upgrade from the previous official build to 10074, and although some things appear to have been fixed, I can't for the life of me get Store Beta to work. It shows the splash screen, then crashes. Went to the event log and got: 

"Faulting application name: WinStore.Mobile.exe, version: 2015.4.1.2, time stamp: 0x551c8d52

Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ac73c
Exception code: 0xc000027b
Fault offset: 0x00149fd1
Faulting process id: 0x1e2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0831c361b5209
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.4.1.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.Mobile.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\combase.dll
Report Id: 0808c248-f8c1-4abf-bc27-f2363ed6da46
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.4.1.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: AppFaulting application name: WinStore.Mobile.exe, version: 2015.4.1.2, time stamp: 0x551c8d52
Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ac73c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.4.1.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.Mobile.exe
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.4.1.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App" 

Is there any way to fix this without a clean install of the build? 

SO far, no.  It got to the point that I am looking hard at going back and doing a clean-install of 10074 Enterprise on my desktop.  (I DID go back and clean-install 10074 Pro.)

SO far, no.  It got to the point that I am looking hard at going back and doing a clean-install of 10074 Enterprise on my desktop.  (I DID go back and clean-install 10074 Pro.)

Well, clean install it is. Thanks. :)

I did an upgrade from the previous official build to 10074, and although some things appear to have been fixed, I can't for the life of me get Store Beta to work. It shows the splash screen, then crashes. Went to the event log and got: 

"Faulting application name: WinStore.Mobile.exe, version: 2015.4.1.2, time stamp: 0x551c8d52

Faulting package-relative application ID: AppFaulting application name: WinStore.Mobile.exe, version: 2015.4.1.2, time stamp: 0x551c8d52
Faulting package-relative application ID: App" 

Is there any way to fix this without a clean install of the build? 

try this script in PowerShell (admin):

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

try this script in PowerShell (admin):

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

This is what I got:

jHYKQsX.png

This is what I got:

jHYKQsX.png

if you're on 64bit then you'll need to run the command on the 64bit powershell (i got a similar error then realized back on the builds were mail did not work)

if you're on 64bit then you'll need to run the command on the 64bit powershell (i got a similar error then realized back on the builds were mail did not work)

You make no sense..  Windows 10 has only 1 powershell app...   there is no two versions of it in OS.

If you have 64bit OS, then you have powershell for that OS.  32bit OS has own powershell.

I had similar problem with mail/calendar issue. I did the trick with powershell then problem solved. my OS is 64 bit.

You make no sense..  Windows 10 has only 1 powershell app...   there is no two versions of it in OS.

If you have 64bit OS, then you have powershell for that OS.  32bit OS has own powershell.

I had similar problem with mail/calendar issue. I did the trick with powershell then problem solved. my OS is 64 bit.

no there is 2 versions for whatever reason. i use search to bring it up and it lists a main & a 64bit version

edit: nvm there does seem to be only one version now. they must have changed it in the more recent builds then because there were definitely 2 versions back when I was repairing mail/people/calender on the second official build w/ the issue (first build I didn't have any problems fixing)

Anyone having problems with Spartan in 10074? It's is freezing up a lot for me. It's pretty much unusable.

After using 10074 for a couple days I have to say, it is pretty outstanding on my desktop, but it is abominable on my tablet.  So unusable I'm rolling it back to 8.1 again.  The start menu keeps popping up whenever I try to do just about anything, whether I am in tablet mode or not.  I can't even rotate the screen without it popping up (in fact, rotation will consistently make it happen, which leads me to believe it is an intentional thing and I hope that changes because OMG it is annoying).  It is finally shaping up to a point where I can believe that I will want to switch to it at RTM, but right now it still has a long, long way to go before it is ready for tablets.  The Facebook bug persists (maybe nobody else is experiencing this?: FB (in)conveniently forgets my login credentials and I have to log in every time I open it, which wouldn't be nearly so annoying if I didn't use a 12-digit randomly-generated password that I can't remember easily).

Anyone having problems with Spartan in 10074? It's is freezing up a lot for me. It's pretty much unusable.

Spartan had not worked for me in any build so far :/

This is what I got:

jHYKQsX.png

well yes, some apps are used all the time in background so you get these errors, I don't remember if there's a workaround.

I did a clean install of 10074 and it runs pretty good so far. Spartan works reasonable on the laptop, it doesn't hang up but once in a while, the task bar launch of it does nothing. Had to cut/paste book marks into Spartans favourite folder. Overall, 10074 is holding up for me. I am presently using VMware with Win2000Pro in the sandbox and am going to rerun some old engineering projects through it to see if 10074 holds up...Cheers

oops...forgot the quote....me nooobie....

I brought that up in windows 8 and some people, wont say names, told me I can't adapt to change and how Drag and drop was no longer a good workflow process :rolleyes:

D&D is something I sorely missed with the Modern UI. 

Spartan had not worked for me in any build so far :/

upper post...forgot quote

Using 10074 on my laptop, it works fine, it amazes me that the hardware is pretty outdated, and the system is running fine. The only thing that still bother me in W10 is the UI, i'm not a fan of the small window for the start menu, and some tiles doesn't look as good as they did on 8.1. Anyway, i know that's not a finish product. Since the rebrand to "Insider Version", can we assume that we moved from Alpha to Beta status?

Using 10074 on my laptop, it works fine, it amazes me that the hardware is pretty outdated, and the system is running fine. The only thing that still bother me in W10 is the UI, i'm not a fan of the small window for the start menu, and some tiles doesn't look as good as they did on 8.1. Anyway, i know that's not a finish product. Since the rebrand to "Insider Version", can we assume that we moved from Alpha to Beta status?

I have the classic shell program (free ware) that I use but the glitch is I have to uninstall it to get the options applet to work, luckily I don't need it to often. It is pretty funny to configure it into 2 column and use full desktop to see all my programs....then again, I'm old...Cheers

• Like 1

Start Menu is crashing way too many times for me with this build. Once it crashes all the apps do not start up anymore making the OS feel like a subscription based "you ran out of license" experience.

There still seem to be huge issues with the Synaptics drivers for my laptop. Maybe this is what makes it feel especially tacky.

Still no IDT drivers. I guess it has partly got to do with the fact that IDT doesn't exist anymore.

It just doesn't feel like it can be all finished within the next few months.

I guess the Control Panel is staying for RTM. No way they can integrate that into apps.

Start Menu is crashing way too many times for me with this build. Once it crashes all the apps do not start up anymore making the OS feel like a subscription based "you ran out of license" experience.

There still seem to be huge issues with the Synaptics drivers for my laptop. Maybe this is what makes it feel especially tacky.

Still no IDT drivers. I guess it has partly got to do with the fact that IDT doesn't exist anymore.

I guess the Control Panel is staying for RTM. No way they can integrate that into apps.

I actually like Control Panel, but then again MS trained us for many years to use it. I found the latest builds are not very good at driver selection or recognition of particulars, especially video drivers...I made a folder with all the latest drivers for my rig and used them off a flash. Once all the proper drivers were updated/installed, build 10074 has been good to me so far...Cheers 

one thing that still bugs me about the UI.... why for the control buttons (min,max,close) for win32 offset up, but in the universal apps they are centered in the titlebar... they should be the same!

• Like 1

They are trying so hard to get rid of Control Panel, I'm sure there is just so many commands to integrate into Settings. I think that the reason Phone builds are so slow and the interactive tiles development was must aside, was they realized they are behind on Windows 10 development.

I have issues with Start as well, resulting in it crashing. Spartan crashes. Settings hangs. Cortana does not talk at all even though volume is working and Hey Cortana is working. Nothing is fast of fluid like the Modern UI on Windows 8 was. Windows 10 will absolutely never be ready by "this summer", however it will ship this summer.

• Like 2

been using it all day,and surprisingly, ive only had a few minor issues. once, the right click stopped working, and another time tabs wouldn't close. a simple restart and back to normal.

I have issues with Start as well, resulting in it crashing. Spartan crashes. Settings hangs. Cortana does not talk at all even though volume is working and Hey Cortana is working. Nothing is fast of fluid like the Modern UI on Windows 8 was. Windows 10 will absolutely never be ready by "this summer", however it will ship this summer.

I don't know, its seems to run pretty fluid here so far aside from a few insignificant bugs. im now making it my main os on one of my dev machines.

As a person who only wants the latest OS to take advantage of newer hardware and to only use it in desktop environments for 3rd party programs, I usually forget how frustrating it must be for higher end users. Those of you trying to get these apps working on touch devices must have a lot of patience. I too feel that the summer release will mostly appease desktop users to a degree but may leave touch users in limbo till ongoing mods are done. Hope I am wrong...Cheers. 

I just thought the same thing as one of the comments....What...I just got 10074 running ....    Cheers

I just thought the same thing as one of the comments....What...I just got 10074 running ....    Cheers

wait is this already up on Windows update?