[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

OMG I found a huge bug in windows 10 hyper-v (win 10 as a GUEST)... if you have a server 2012 R2 host and you change the VM's VLAN in the "virtual switch manager" to another one OMG windows 10 goes batt crazy and BSODs on "system service exception" over and over!

I wanted to change the VLAN so i can test the throttling and meraki policies on windows 10 again and I've even recorded a video!

The 41 build or 49 did not do this crap!

https://youtu.be/IQjJoKGj_uw

Anyone having problems with Spartan in 10074? It's is freezing up a lot for me. It's pretty much unusable.

I had the same issues last night , in my VM , it's in its early days though .

one thing that still bugs me about the UI.... why for the control buttons (min,max,close) for win32 offset up, but in the universal apps they are centered in the titlebar... they should be the same!

this.

I'm going to nag to Gabe about this a lot because it bothers me too.

one thing that still bugs me about the UI.... why for the control buttons (min,max,close) for win32 offset up, but in the universal apps they are centered in the titlebar... they should be the same!

Grinds on me too. I am assuming they haven't got round to it yet.

That's what I think as well, probably why we're stuck with only the grey colors as well, we should be able to change those if we want.

I actually like Control Panel, but then again MS trained us for many years to use it. I found the latest builds are not very good at driver selection or recognition of particulars, especially video drivers...I made a folder with all the latest drivers for my rig and used them off a flash. Once all the proper drivers were updated/installed, build 10074 has been good to me so far...Cheers 

There is a new driver model in Windows 10. For some reason it creates havoc for some devices .. especially AMD graphics.

10074 and AMDs drivers on my switchable grapics device turn my login menu into a strobe lighting / disco show. No way to get out of it unless I disable the AMD card in Safe Mode.

MS says that they are aware of a lot of AMD issues and I tend to believe them seeing how they pulled a lot of AMD drivers during the first quarter of this year that were causing excessive issues.

One thing is trusting MS another to "trust" AMD.

Feels hard to imagine that hey will manage to create something as powerful as the current Control Panel in such little time. Hopefully they will just keep it. When my Safe Modes Start Menu stopped working (and all the apps) .. Control Panel was as good as it was going to get.

They are trying so hard to get rid of Control Panel, I'm sure there is just so many commands to integrate into Settings. I think that the reason Phone builds are so slow and the interactive tiles development was must aside, was they realized they are behind on Windows 10 development.

I have issues with Start as well, resulting in it crashing. Spartan crashes. Settings hangs. Cortana does not talk at all even though volume is working and Hey Cortana is working. Nothing is fast of fluid like the Modern UI on Windows 8 was. Windows 10 will absolutely never be ready by "this summer", however it will ship this summer.

Sounds totally plausible that they will take a lot of shortcuts to ship this by summer. They should certainly consider delaying this by a year.

Right now 8.1 just feels more stable/fluid (especially metro) and I have certainly found a new respect for Sinofsky and his older Metro vision. Not to say that I do not like on where they are going with 10. It just doesn't seem like they can reach it in time. This is also supposed to be the Windows version that does not "suck". ; )

The new "Settings" Control Panel is too far off the mark. I was still not able to use keyboard letters as jumppoints whilst browsing huge lists in Language Settings.. They just seem to miss a lot of these navigational aspects that people take for granted. Too much is simplified or has been stripped without any sanity check.

The same can be said about Spartan and Control + F not focusing / No proper feedback for zooming (also an issue in "metro/modern" apps) / Playing streams in the background.

Too many small issues everywhere that will not be addressed in time. 

Another big bug happened the first time I started a build with the Battery Saver feature being forced on.

I could not physically update Windows 10 after just having installed it because Battery Saver was on and I could not switch it off since my laptop battery flat-lined a short while ago.

Physically removing a battery just so that Windows Updates would work was a really clever move by whichever Intern thought of this feature.

I'm guessing that they left it like that because it's not that easy with classic Windows apps, some have different title bar height or even blend it into app inself and because of that it's aligned to top. Store apps on other hand have all same title bar height.

Sounds totally plausible that they will take a lot of shortcuts to ship this by summer. They should certainly consider delaying this by a year.

Right now 8.1 just feels more stable/fluid (especially metro) and I have certainly found a new respect for Sinofsky and his older Metro vision. Not to say that I do not like on where they are going with 10. It just doesn't seem like they can reach it in time. This is also supposed to be the Windows version that does not "suck". ; )

Agreed. I'm still hoping that they have a load of these small fixes hiding away somewhere in another branch and will be integrated nearer RTM. The more time goes on though the more unlikely this is feeling.

To be honest at the moment I see this going the same way as the Windows 8 release did - it was unfinished. I didn't enjoy using Windows 8 at all just after release, but after few patches and the 8.1 update things definitely improved a lot and now I quite like it. I really don't want the OS to be out for a year until maybe the big update next year fleshes things out and fixes a lot of things like this.

I'm guessing that they left it like that because it's not that easy with classic Windows apps, some have different title bar height or even blend it into app inself and because of that it's aligned to top. Store apps on other hand have all same title bar height.

Those applications that are using 'pretend' titlebars (those with a custom title bar height or blended title bars) will look a little odd, but that's part and parcel with choosing to style your application in that way. There are some very popular applications that will suffer - like Chrome and Office 2013.

They should sort it out for all applications that use a standard title bar because it is just the theme that needs to be altered. Like I said, I think that they just haven't got round to it yet.

That's what I think as well, probably why we're stuck with only the grey colors as well, we should be able to change those if we want.

I am not so sure with the grey title bars. I think that is a much more permanent arrangement (I do see glass title bars coming back though).

I submitted feedback on the fact that it is not obvious as to which application is active and which applications are inactive.

I do quite like the grey, but like other OS's (like OS X) they need to actually dim the whole window, and not just the title bar to make it work.

Anyone else getting very high memory usage for DWM in the latest build? It's taking up approximately 45% of my 4GB machine, leading to frequent & annoying popups form Windows informing me that I'm about to run out of memory if I so much as run more than five tabs in a browser.

Driver issue, perhaps? Should I migrate to the beta nVidia drivers?

It's a shame because this is the first build where it feels like things are really coming together...

So is this 10074 build stable enough for daily use? Other builds were so-so for me. Going for a clean install on an SSD tonight!

So is this 10074 build stable enough for daily use? Other builds were so-so for me. Going for a clean install on an SSD tonight!

It's a little better than before so far .

The choice is only yours .

I've been on a straight update path since build 9926, so in honor of this being the "first" Insider Preview, I decided to clean install Build 10074, and it's working a lot better than before.  Faster, less issues.

I am not so sure with the grey title bars. I think that is a much more permanent arrangement (I do see glass title bars coming back though).

I submitted feedback on the fact that it is not obvious as to which application is active and which applications are inactive.

I do quite like the grey, but like other OS's (like OS X) they need to actually dim the whole window, and not just the title bar to make it work.

Dim the whole window?  gawd that'd drive me nuts, I have too many programs running on multiple monitors and reading data from different windows all the time... the title bar alone is enough to show it's not the active window

It's a little better than before so far .

The choice is only yours .

It's one of the best builds so far in my opinion unless you are using AMD drivers.

If you want to try as a daily OS then you can try but if it involves old drivers then keep a rollback option ready.

P.S Anyone else notice the memory consumption has risen , more so compared to Windows 7.

• Like 7

Dim the whole window? gawd that'd drive me nuts, I have too many programs running on multiple monitors and reading data from different windows all the time... the title bar alone is enough to show it's not the active window

It doesn't need to be extreme. Just enough to distinguish an inactive widow from an active one. If they are going to keep title bars in two subtly different shades of grey, they need to do something.

I think the accent color you pick is going to play a part in the window frame and title bar at some point, just have to wait and see what they do.

It doesn't need to be extreme. Just enough to distinguish an inactive widow from an active one. If they are going to keep title bars in two subtly different shades of grey, they need to do something.

I wish they'd go back to the old titlebar active/inactive style we had in classic... you could have completely different colors for the active and inactive titlebar... that way you can make it very obvious.... aero glass ruined this and they are continuing the annoying what is active? title bar with the minor color changes...

I wish they'd go back to the old titlebar active/inactive style we had in classic... you could have completely different colors for the active and inactive titlebar... that way you can make it very obvious.... aero glass ruined this and they are continuing the annoying what is active? title bar with the minor color changes...

Titlebars are still a WIP...

@GabeAul's tweet: http://twitter.com/GabeAul/statuses/594160662470766592

Prospects looking up for transparency on titlebars

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/593817271736225792

At last something relevant to my interests that I can look forward to regarding Windows 10. 

Screenshot of how I have my Windows 10 setup currently: http://i.imgur.com/DrMmltO.jpg

However I still don't see how this is going to be RTM within 2 months. Windows Feedback program crashes half the time, the other half I have to click 'Reload' 2-3 times to get it to load. The search box is nowhere near as responsive as the Win7 start menu search box was still. 

Prospects looking up for transparency on titlebars

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/593817271736225792

At last something relevant to my interests that I can look forward to regarding Windows 10. 

Screenshot of how I have my Windows 10 setup currently: http://i.imgur.com/DrMmltO.jpg

However I still don't see how this is going to be RTM within 2 months. Windows Feedback program crashes half the time, the other half I have to click 'Reload' 2-3 times to get it to load. The search box is nowhere near as responsive as the Win7 start menu search box was still. 

sadly the start menu is the only thing that crashes for m all the time :/