[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I don't worry about Edge, it'll see updates in time, there's another MS event in a week or so, and the closer we get to RTM the faster you'll see updates, heck edge and other apps should just update without you even knowing they have.

9/10ths of the time I click start nothing happens. Start doesn't open. Cortana freezes. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yup, I think it's been reported, only way to cure it is CTRL, ALT, DEL and sign out, then sign back in.

Have microsoft removed the onedrive intergration from windows 10 as i cant find a way to sign into the onedrive app like you could do with the older build where they 1st introduced the new "start screen/menu"

Have microsoft removed the onedrive intergration from windows 10 as i cant find a way to sign into the onedrive app like you could do with the older build where they 1st introduced the new "start screen/menu"

It should be right in the Explorer window...

Anybody know why Cortana isn't working for me in 10074? It says Cortana is not available in your market.

I'm in the UK -_-

Anybody know why Cortana isn't working for me in 10074? It says Cortana is not available in your market.

I'm in the UK -_-

Did you grab the actual UK ISO from the Preview page? If not then you're most likely running the US version which is obviously US only.

Remember to grab the UK version from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

When you're installing, if you're running the US version now, it will most likely give you a warning that the language is going to change.

I'm in the UK too btw, I actually installed 10102 and then went back to 10074 when it came out and the above is what I got when I installed it.

Yes , I thought it was my fault ...

Also , everyone else noticed that CMD Prompt inside text is smaller ?

I can't even use it ...

Could it be so because of the VM ?

I also noticed CMD prompt text was smaller. At least we are able to right click on header and change properties still. Powershell is the same as well...Cheers

I'm going to have to check to see if they are bringing the F8 back Key. Because Windows 8 and having to go into update and recovery and advanced start-up.

Had a customer who had a ton of adware where I couldn't get connected, so I was going to have him restart in safe mode with networking but obvious F8 doesn't work so we had to select it from inside Windows. But then the PC wouldn't shut down correctly because of the Adware it just said "Please wait".

Just give me F8!!!!!

I'm going to have to check to see if they are bringing the F8 back Key. Because Windows 8 and having to go into update and recovery and advanced start-up.

Had a customer who had a ton of adware where I couldn't get connected, so I was going to have him restart in safe mode with networking but obvious F8 doesn't work so we had to select it from inside Windows. But then the PC wouldn't shut down correctly because of the Adware it just said "Please wait".

Just give me F8!!!!!

I thought you could get into safe mode using "advanced start-up" with the usb recovery drive?

I thought you could get into safe mode using "advanced start-up" with the usb recovery drive?

I was trying to remotely connect to a customer. The Average person doesn't have a USB recovery drive laying around.

Did you grab the actual UK ISO from the Preview page? If not then you're most likely running the US version which is obviously US only.

Remember to grab the UK version from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

When you're installing, if you're running the US version now, it will most likely give you a warning that the language is going to change.

I'm in the UK too btw, I actually installed 10102 and then went back to 10074 when it came out and the above is what I got when I installed it.

I downloaded the first link I saw  :blush:

I'll try out the UK ISO thanks :)

--

Edit: Cortana works fine now, thanks :)

I'm downloading it right now, probably a good idea to update vbox first though before I get started. I should probably switch to VMware someday.

so does anybody know if with windows 10 and newest visual studio release, if you can program metro(what ever its called) to run external programs.

I was looking into developing an windows store app, but it need manage and use third party software along with it.

but... correct me if I'm wrong, with reading forums and windows 8.1 and visual studio 2013. its not possible, because the program is in a sandbox. that it would have to write to a file the launch commands and have regular windows program wait for the file to be created and read that file and execute the commands. a real pain.

I live in Belgium, installed the US ISO and Cortana is working for me. Initially it was Bing only and suddenly she popped up with her buggy out-of-the-box setup asking for my name and such.

so does anybody know if with windows 10 and newest visual studio release, if you can program metro(what ever its called) to run external programs.

I was looking into developing an windows store app, but it need manage and use third party software along with it.

but... correct me if I'm wrong, with reading forums and windows 8.1 and visual studio 2013. its not possible, because the program is in a sandbox. that it would have to write to a file the launch commands and have regular windows program wait for the file to be created and read that file and execute the commands. a real pain.

can you give an example of what youre trying to do

They need to change that. Depending on the color scheme, the bar is nearly invisible.

Yes , I thought it was my fault ...

Also , everyone else noticed that CMD Prompt inside text is smaller ?

I can't even use it ...

Could it be so because of the VM ?

On my 3 systems, the CMD prompt retains the same font color and size which i customized. So, it's synced across systems. Any chance that's the cause of what you're seeing?

I wish where the "most used" application list is that we could pin to the start menu there, that's what I thought was coming back, not just a most used list... I usually turn most used tracking off... I usually have a static list I build... guess I just have to do this with big tiles now... ugh... I thought earlier previews let you pin to that area like the old start menu did

I swear at least one older build let you do this, because I was excited I could do that again when I was testing an older build...

Pinning is done using the tiles.

A "hybrid" that strongly favors desktop style interaction. A truly awful experience. There was no reason to throw out the superior Windows 8.x UX. They threw out the baby with the bathwater, and now they're going to pay for that mistake, with poor mobile sales.  

Bah. I just think you're resistent to change and unwilling to adapt to paradigms which are newer and therefore obviously superior :o

Come on Dot. Get with the future and stop holding computing back ;)

• Like 3

I wish they'd go back to the old titlebar active/inactive style we had in classic... you could have completely different colors for the active and inactive titlebar... that way you can make it very obvious.... aero glass ruined this and they are continuing the annoying what is active? title bar with the minor color changes...

Some people like to pin this blame on Aero Glass but it was really Luna in Windows XP which . . . ruined the customization brought by classic.

"mini-Cortana"

I hope in future Cortana makes use of the new blur effect, it'd look quite nice with the new start menu and taskbar.

I am really liking this latest build. I really thought they were nowhere near close to a summer release but now they seem to be. I think if they add aero glass to windows and a few other visual tweaks, they will have an OS that I'll be genuinely excited about. I can't wait to try streaming from my Xbox One although it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to stream a game to a 27" monitor when I could be playing it on a 65" TV.

Also, Edge is really not stable at all. I commonly get a white window and nothing works until I close and reopen the application. I do realize it is a preview release but I expected Edge to be working at least fairly well at this point.

I haven't had any big issues with Spartan, I don't know what everyone is talking about, lol. It freezes up a bit sometimes, but it's very much usable.