[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

They need to change that. Depending on the color scheme, the bar is nearly invisible.

Since you're not quoting anyone and just answering something I can't see mentioned in any recent posts above yours, I'm going to assume you're talking about the bar under open windows ? in that case I don't see why they need to change anything. if users want to chose colors that make it impossible to see, then they chose to do that. you can fix that by choosing to use a light theme with dark colors, there's a couple  of other options there as well or will be, but yeah, users can still make it hard to see or even impossible IF they want to. 

I'm going to have to check to see if they are bringing the F8 back Key. Because Windows 8 and having to go into update and recovery and advanced start-up.

Had a customer who had a ton of adware where I couldn't get connected, so I was going to have him restart in safe mode with networking but obvious F8 doesn't work so we had to select it from inside Windows. But then the PC wouldn't shut down correctly because of the Adware it just said "Please wait".

Just give me F8!!!!!

it's just that with UEFI the timeframe for pressing F8 shinks to almost zero. also as far as I know you could set Windows to load in safe mode, set timers and so on through System configuration

it's just that with UEFI the timeframe for pressing F8 shinks to almost zero. also as far as I know you could set Windows to load in safe mode, set timers and so on through System configuration

Is it still F8? I though it was holding left shift now?

Pinning is done using the tiles.

yes, but I am saying they should let you choose if you want to have it as a tile or just a link.... links on left tiles on right....

On my 3 systems, the CMD prompt retains the same font color and size which i customized. So, it's synced across systems. Any chance that's the cause of what you're seeing?

on a clean install in a VM I have much smaller font and it's font weight is a lot thinner and a different font in command prompt... and it is no longer 80x25 chars in size by default, much taller and wider.

One of the sad things about Windows is that Microsoft has no time to focus on the small things (like Tabs for File Explorer) or small handy features like opening apps straight from Lock because they keep on dramatically overhauling the desktop. Modern UI will be left in the dust with no new features or optimizations. I recently lost files when Files crashed on WP and I cant run a recovery software because it my WP is not recognized as a drive, something that they could add to open up the system more. 

Hey guys new user voice:

Please spread this anywhere possible.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7796958-make-tablet-mode-better

A couple of things:

*Move all settings (battery, wifi, brightness, volume) into the Action center
*Add Interactive Tiles
*Add Exploded Live Tiles
*Use the advanced grid from WP for Windows 10 tiles (spacing in the Start Screen
*Add vertical tiles
*Bring back the animations from Windows 8.1 or something similar
*Add option to bring back the Charms "Action bar", remove Search and replace it with Cortana, remove settings and replace it with and expand button that will make the Notification Center flyout

*Add back the Accent color that was removed from Windows and shown throughout Settings and the Charms bar and flyouts

*Add an option to remove the taskbar completely in touch mode, double swipe up to show it again

* Put the clock into the Action Bar or Action Center

* Swipe from the left should switch between the last used apps a swipe out and back in should show task view

*Name and user tile should be in top left corner, not the bottom of the screen

*All Apps should have an option to be full screen (I saw someone telling another how to use Windows 8.1 and he, an average customer, knew where to access ALL APPS, do not change the location.

*Allow the sorting of All Apps 

*Add back semantic zoom!!!!!!
  • Like 2

Guys, tell me something please.

Do you find it annoying or frustrating that windows can steal focus whenever they wish? 

For example, I'm doing something in an app which has an active window and I click outside that app to launch some other app and

I quickly move mouse and click on the first app to continue working on it or to perform an operation BUT that other app jumps out while launching or have been fully loaded and steals the focus from the first app to itself.

I find that annoying. I want active app or window to remain active and undisturbed by other apps until I click on them.

Do you guys get the point I'm trying to convey?

If yes, is there an application that prevents such a behavior or can we vote on uservoice for such behavior?

Guys, tell me something please.

Do you find it annoying or frustrating that windows can steal focus whenever they wish? 

For example, I'm doing something in an app which has an active window and I click outside that app to launch some other app and

I quickly move mouse and click on the first app to continue working on it or to perform an operation BUT that other app jumps out while launching or have been fully loaded and steals the focus from the first app to itself.

I find that annoying. I want active app or window to remain active and undisturbed by other apps until I click on them.

Do you guys get the point I'm trying to convey?

If yes, is there an application that prevents such a behavior or can we vote on uservoice for such behavior?

Yes. Citrix at work does that to me often. I can't flippin' stand it.

Yes. Citrix at work does that to me often. I can't flippin' stand it.

Is there any indication that Windows 10 will improve on that?

Is there any indication that Windows 10 will improve on that?

I haven't really had that happen to me with first party Win10 applications yet. But Citrix is it's own breed of insanity.

From the software I personally use, I've only got software from one developer that does it. Typically programs will try and get your attention by flashing the taskbar icon which is the ideal way barring security popups and such, but a program can bring itself to the front if designed to, it's easy to do. I have a couple of JetBrains' IDEs installed that will quite regularly do that, not sure if it's bad design on their part or if it's a "Java thing" in general, but it's pretty annoying when it does. (Love their software otherwise.) The Linux version of their software tends to do it too, depending on the desktop environment. You can mitigate it with third party software, but that should be baked into the OS itself, never mind developers shouldn't be doing that sort of stuff in the first place.

Is it still F8? I though it was holding left shift now?

I don't remember if F8 still works at all in Windows 8 and higher, I'm just pointing out why it became inaccessible. Holding shift and clicking restart in Windows does restart with options. But if system doesn't properly shutdown, then it won't work apparently, but by setting up OS loading parameters in System configuration you could permanently set it to load in safe mode and with additional parameters if needed.

Since you're not quoting anyone and just answering something I can't see mentioned in any recent posts above yours, I'm going to assume you're talking about the bar under open windows ? in that case I don't see why they need to change anything. if users want to chose colors that make it impossible to see, then they chose to do that. you can fix that by choosing to use a light theme with dark colors, there's a couple  of other options there as well or will be, but yeah, users can still make it hard to see or even impossible IF they want to.

Yeah I always quote and meant to, my mistake. I was talking about the bar for open windows and running apps. They do need to change the highlight method. It has always been fine up until this build. Your expectation of people to limit their color schemes is ludicrous. I was using a purplish space type wallpaper and the bar was very dark purple and nearly impossible to see. MS is not stupid enough to expect users to use certain wallpapers to make the underline visible I would hope.

Dilemma; Laptop with Win10 locks up on entering text at the login screens - the normal, the safe mode, even the refresh/reset prompts. It connects the wifi and all that good stuff, mouse works fine, but any text entered is dpc_watchdog_violation after 5 characters.

In order to diagnose the bug, I need the minidump file - potentially including activating the dumps from the CPL.

So...?

Dilemma; Laptop with Win10 locks up on entering text at the login screens - the normal, the safe mode, even the refresh/reset prompts. It connects the wifi and all that good stuff, mouse works fine, but any text entered is dpc_watchdog_violation after 5 characters.

In order to diagnose the bug, I need the minidump file - potentially including activating the dumps from the CPL.

So...?

Have you tried doing a clean install?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update-1504

Maybe there is an old crufty driver causing problems?

I have just tested the latest build available from MS.

Still no support for Romania by the looks of it . Crippled experience, and also, feels strange, it will grow on me i am sure, but for now, it has a strange feeling to it.

Another thing to note (in windows 8.1 i had option to disable automatic updates from the welcome wizard) if i don't disconnect the internet before i install, it will automatically download and install all the nvidia 3d crap with the driver, not even the latest win10 version, some obscure months old driver.

Also it will automatically try and install my razer mouse drivers and other crap i want to install myself and not let the os grab old drivers and mess things up for me right from the box.

Or is this a feature ?  :(

Back to Yosemite 10.10.3 and 8.1 for gaming (for now)

I will give it another try when i have the time.

PS: i just got another samsung 850 SSD just to test windows 10, had OSX on my other one and i would like to avoid the hassle to re-setup all my things back just to test windows :)

Have you tried doing a clean install?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update-1504

Maybe there is an old crufty driver causing problems?

I'm holding off on a clean install because I want to get that dump file to deliver to MS so they can look at it.

Man, I miss the days when you could log in to DOS and access the files. I mean, if it would let me enter text, don't know why it would lock up like that.

Some people like to pin this blame on Aero Glass but it was really Luna in Windows XP which . . . ruined the customization brought by classic.

Personally I think they should just do what UXStyle has been doing for the last decade... unlock the theme engine so that non Microsoft visual styles can be used without hacks. Perhaps they could even have a digital marketplace for visual styles like they do for themes.

• Like 2

I honestly think Microsoft should shelve their plans to launch Windows 10 this year. Two months from launch, and even with a clean install build 10074 isn't at all stable, or complete. Edge is going to be a massive failure if it can't ship as a serious competitor to Firefox or Chrome, and Windows 10 still sucks at life as a serious tablet OS.

The consumer market is going to tear it to pieces.

• Like 2

I honestly think Microsoft should shelve their plans to launch Windows 10 this year. Two months from launch, and even with a clean install build 10074 isn't at all stable, or complete. Edge is going to be a massive failure if it can't ship as a serious competitor to Firefox or Chrome, and Windows 10 still sucks at life as a serious tablet OS.

The consumer market is going to tear it to pieces.

I doubt it will be any worse than Windows 8x.  10074 has been, at least on my end, the most stable yet and everything is coming together.  Just need to add the other features to the start menu (folders, jump lists, etc.) and it'll be golden.  Modern UI applications are growing on me with their current iteration.  

Looking good so far.

• Like 2

Yep after they indicated bringing Aero style transparency back to the titlebars if good feedback was given on the blur Start Menu I am now thinking its ready for a June-July RTM. 

The 3D tiles are nice too, hopefully they add some gradients to them.