[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I doubt it will be any worse than Windows 8x.  10074 has been, at least on my end, the most stable yet and everything is coming together.  Just need to add the other features to the start menu (folders, jump lists, etc.) and it'll be golden.  Modern UI applications are growing on me with their current iteration.  

Looking good so far.

And the drivers are improving along with it, despite some obvious issues.  That's probably the biggest pain point people are still dealing with.

I don't know if it'll be perfect at launch, but it's very good now.

MS probably doesn't support or unlock theming the OS because of the issues it could raise with help support.  If people can go in and change things too much then it'd be hard to help them over the phone with some issue if you're both looking for two different things.

A bit more window theme options and I'm happy, that's all it needs, the taskbar and start menu options are fine at this point.

Windows 8.1 Enterprise is now available, and included in it is a brand new feature called Start screen control. For those not familiar with this new feature, it is designed to allow IT pros to configure the layout of the Start screen for a group of users, preventing those users from making changes to that layout.

So how exactly does this work? First, you need to configure an appropriate layout for the group of users. For example, maybe you want the Start screen to only include Office, Internet Explorer, and the Desktop icon, so you arrange the layout like so:

https://blogs.windows.com/itpro/2013/10/31/a-new-windows-8-1-enterprise-feature-start-screen-control/

Anyone who deployed this will find all their hard work undone in windows 10, A big **** you to everyone who went ahead and deployed it. Its becoming increasingly obvious that this isn't going to be fixed for RTM (N)

MS probably doesn't support or unlock theming the OS because of the issues it could raise with help support.  If people can go in and change things too much then it'd be hard to help them over the phone with some issue if you're both looking for two different things.

A bit more window theme options and I'm happy, that's all it needs, the taskbar and start menu options are fine at this point.

And also, viruses could manipulate the theme to make the computer unuseable. It shouldn't be enabled by default, if een included. Power users will know to use UXStyle, and power users are really the only ones who will use them.

Yeah I always quote and meant to, my mistake. I was talking about the bar for open windows and running apps. They do need to change the highlight method. It has always been fine up until this build. Your expectation of people to limit their color schemes is ludicrous. I was using a purplish space type wallpaper and the bar was very dark purple and nearly impossible to see. MS is not stupid enough to expect users to use certain wallpapers to make the underline visible I would hope.

To be fair, compared with the classic theme, Aero in Win7 sometimes also made it difficult to see whether a window was selected or not from the taskbar button, depending on the colors chosen.  It is definitely annoying, no matter the theme.

Anyone else having this problem?:

The File Explorer window opens in a different location on the screen every time I open it.

No other window does this. They all open in the same screen location as the previous time they were opened.

This has been the case since the last few builds.

I have sent feedback on this, as it is really annoying.

Yep, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. It appears that the window is offset to the right and down each time, correct?

The File Explorer window opens in a different location on the screen every time I open it.

No other window does this. They all open in the same screen location as the previous time they were opened.

I hadn't noticed that but it does the same here. Moves down to the right slightly each time. I did the same with a few other windows and they retain there previous positions.

Windows has always opened a second File Explorer window slightly down and right when one is already open. It usually saves the position of the last one closed for the next window open position. I'm guessing it is just a simple error along those lines.

Yep, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. It appears that the window is offset to the right and down each time, correct?

Correct.

Windows has always opened a second File Explorer window slightly down and right when one is already open. It usually saves the position of the last one closed for the next window open position. I'm guessing it is just a simple error along those lines.

Could be.

I don't have any open windows at all, though, and it still does this.

Explorer has been doing that for years. I believe it to be intended behavior and not a bug.

I think it is a bug in that it does it when there is not a prior File Explorer window open. It is only supposed to shift if a window is already open, so they don't cover each other completely.

Always has for me.

I mean with no previous window open. It opens at its previous location.

I mean with no previous window open. It opens at its previous location.

Did you post a feedback report about it yet?  Might as well do so and see what happens.

Have you tried doing a clean install?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update-1504

Maybe there is an old crufty driver causing problems?

Sometimes, an old crufty driver is the only one that will work - Big Pavilion - the larger-screened of my two notebooks, is a case in point.  It requires NVidia Forceware 175, which is a legacy driver which dates back to Vista SP1. (Using the basic driver results in BSODs with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION errors in 10074 Pro.)

Did you post a feedback report about it yet?  Might as well do so and see what happens.

Yeah, I posted feedback about this a couple days ago.

We'll see.

It functioned perfectly since the first TP was released and I didn't update a driver... at a loss on diagnosing it.

You know, I just hope they replace the desktop with start. I mean the shortcuts on the desktop background. There is a ton of stuff like program/folder shortcuts that should just be on start.

It's also the fact that you can't change everything, and there isn't a SINGLE theme that doesn't have minor to major bugs and nags that you just have to live with. The windows theme engine just isn't really made to be themed and change themes. 

the more themes change the more bugs and nags you have to deal with. 

https://blogs.windows.com/itpro/2013/10/31/a-new-windows-8-1-enterprise-feature-start-screen-control/

Anyone who deployed this will find all their hard work undone in windows 10, A big **** you to everyone who went ahead and deployed it. Its becoming increasingly obvious that this isn't going to be fixed for RTM (N)

Of course it's "undone". first it's a brand new OS, secondly the whole start menu is replaced with brand new code, and since the new one uses XAML, I'm pretty sure they can redo their custom setup or will be able to in the final version. probably easier and with more options than before. 

this is why system admins are hired, they're supposed to work, not just sit around. 

This is how multiple instance programs have always worked. every new instance opens a little down and to the right of the last window that was opened until it gets far enough down that it starts and the top left again. 

nothing new about this. and you will find that all windows that can be opened in multiple instances will do this 

This is how multiple instance programs have always worked. every new instance opens a little down and to the right of the last window that was opened until it gets far enough down that it starts and the top left again. 

nothing new about this. and you will find that all windows that can be opened in multiple instances will do this 

I understand that.

My point is, it does not do that in any version of Windows except the TP.

If I open a single instance of Explorer, and then close it, it should re-open in the same position as before, shouldn't it?

That was how it worked in previous versions of Windows.

I just installed b. 10074 today on a spare hdd. So far it looks good, ive just had a few issues:

* Edge freezes for a few seconds sometimes.

* The start menu refuses to open sometimes

* text on start menu is clipped by a few pixels

* When windows updates installed by graphics driver, by screen when black. I let it sit, ate dinner, came back and hit the reset button. So far so good after that.

What they need to do:

* Theme polish: icons, more wallpapers, tray icons (network, sound, clock) should have dark theme

* Bug fixes

Other than that, it seems pretty stable and fast.

Not sure if this has been said before, but they confirmed that they won't be removing the XPS Viewer app nor the old Windows Fax & Scan app, due to legacy compatibility.