[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

They should have RTM'd by now, but Windows 10 is still unstable.

Um, that pretty much directly contradicts itself.

What is the exact metric of "it should be done by now"?

I think they are getting cut off by the internal RTM deadline, though.

I use my computer to play dvds all the time.  :s

So if I use a third party player like VLC will that work? Or will windows not even detect the dvd?

I also play DVD's all the time on my machine...once a file association is made, ie for WMP or VLC, it will play. I also have an external drive with a library of movies. I usually play the movies right off the drive or for new ones, I use the optical. (Same with saved video)...Cheers...

Um, that pretty much directly contradicts itself.

By this time, Microsoft would have RTM'd a stable build. However, they are still in the preview stage. I'm just saying their planned release seems too soon.

What is the exact metric of "it should be done by now"?

I think they are getting cut off by the internal RTM deadline, though.

In previous major Windows releases, they would RTM at least 3 months before.

By this time, Microsoft would have RTM'd a stable build. However, they are still in the preview stage. I'm just saying their planned release seems too soon.

Have they actually set an official release date? I thought the best we had so far was "summer".

End of July.

Would the end of July be for RTM?........Cheers.

This is also a different type of beta path for MS. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they removed some other expected features in the next 2 months. Like it or not, this is adjusting to the realities of the current marketplace. It no longer makes as much sense to do large single distributions and more of a constantly updated system.

We've seen this across the board, from Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, the browsers, DLC in games, Kickstarter, Steam GreenLight, etc etc. Even phone OS number rolls over now instead of being a distributed package.

I use my computer to play dvds all the time.  :s

So if I use a third party player like VLC will that work? Or will windows not even detect the dvd?

Any 3rd party player can play DVDs fine, what MS did is take it out from their own native players, so WMP won't do DVDs and so on.  They did this because lots of OEMs, HP, Dell and so on, like to ship their own crapware be it AV and even media players.  I bought my mom a new HP laptop back in January, it comes preloaded with PowerDVD and some other apps from the same company.   MS doesn't want to keep paying for the DVD licensing for every install of windows when they see only a small % actually use it, so they'll make it a optional download that you'll pay for it seems.

• Like 2

Any 3rd party player can play DVDs fine, what MS did is take it out from their own native players, so WMP won't do DVDs and so on.  They did this because lots of OEMs, HP, Dell and so on, like to ship their own crapware be it AV and even media players.  I bought my mom a new HP laptop back in January, it comes preloaded with PowerDVD and some other apps from the same company.   MS doesn't want to keep paying for the DVD licensing for every install of windows when they see only a small % actually use it, so they'll make it a optional download that you'll pay for it seems.

Good to know. I never used wmp for my media player anyways so I guess nothing changes for me.

There is no official date given by MS, the end of July "date" is still a rumored one.  Regardless, MS will keep updating Windows 10 after that, we already know about Redstone next year.  But there's talk of another update later this year, in the fall, probably when the mobile OS ships so that they're both once again in sync.

It doesn't matter though, what we get in the summer just needs to be stable, have good performance, and good compatibility.  If a feature doesn't make it in and they push it out later in the year or next year it's fine really.

There is no official date given by MS, the end of July "date" is still a rumored one.  Regardless, MS will keep updating Windows 10 after that, we already know about Redstone next year.  But there's talk of another update later this year, in the fall, probably when the mobile OS ships so that they're both once again in sync.

It doesn't matter though, what we get in the summer just needs to be stable, have good performance, and good compatibility.  If a feature doesn't make it in and they push it out later in the year or next year it's fine really.

End of July seems impossible, but remember RTM does not mean final.

End of July seems impossible, but remember RTM does not mean final.

I know, but it's going to have to be stable so OEMs can start loading it on their systems.  At this point I don't think we should expect anything new to pop up till after RTM/GA as far as new features go.  What we see in these 101xx builds is what we're going to get on the desktop and x86 tablets, just with more polish. 

After that I expect to get new features either in the rumored fall/winter 2015 update or in the first big update in 2016 which is part of Redstone.  Features like the interactive tiles that they've said are coming and so on.

I smell a leak 10108. Winbeta and Brad both have it ;)

New settings  UI:

wv8vnk.png

Bah. I just think you're resistent to change and unwilling to adapt to paradigms which are newer and therefore obviously superior :o

Come on Dot. Get with the future and stop holding computing back ;)

whoa. just....whoa.

I'm really still confused that DVD playback hasn't been a native Windows feature, like, 10 years ago. I don't even have an optical drive anymore.

umm, you always had to buy the DVD addon for the codec. 

after that the codec and license was included with MCE. which meant it also worked in media player if you had MCE installed. 

But microsoft isn't doing slow rollouts of huge builds every few years anymore. they're changing to a rapid release of near rolling releases. so we'll see new "major" releases every 6 months or so probably. 

New settings  UI:

wv8vnk.png

new?

after that the codec and license was included with MCE. which meant it also worked in media player if you had MCE installed. 

But microsoft isn't doing slow rollouts of huge builds every few years anymore. they're changing to a rapid release of near rolling releases. so we'll see new "major" releases every 6 months or so probably. 

new?

buttons are now centered in the window, all one color (grey)

new?

This does not belong here. It's irrelevant. Where's a mod? This thread is getting out of control. I am not a mod, but dang.

Rapid release shouldn't mean development snapshots, especially for Microsoft. They should have stopped putting things in flux by now and just gone into quality control so it is ready.

Rapid release shouldn't mean development snapshots, especially for Microsoft. They should have stopped putting things in flux by now and just gone into quality control so it is ready.

Good way to think about it .

Even if , most of sure , I'll go back to Windows 8 .

P.S : Does Windows 8 have that '' GWX '' as Windows 8.1 and 7 SP1 got ?

New settings  UI:

wv8vnk.png

Looks ok in this mode but when maximized, its just a massive waste of space.

A personal opinion, can't they add something near 'Updates & Security' to complete the second row? :s Its killing me.

I think 'System' has way too many submenus than the rest. Maybe separating all the App settings from 'System' and adding it under a separate button would solve (like 'Search and Apps' in current Windows 8).

• Like 2

Looks ok in this mode but when maximized, its just a massive waste of space.

A personal opinion, can't they add something near 'Updates & Security' to complete the second row? :s Its killing me.

I think 'System' has way too many submenus than the rest. Maybe separating all the App settings from 'System' and adding it under a separate button would solve (like 'Search and Apps' in current Windows 8).

Heh .. this is what I call "polishing a turd".