[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I think I'm a little confused now...I thought WMC was discontinued...not WMP, as it is present in the last bunch of builds and it works fine. I sometimes bounce back and forth with VLC but WMP has been around for a long time and works great for me. Once file associations are set, it plays all the video formats I have. Did I miss something and WMP is also going...I hope not, I have been using it for music for a very long time...(breaks out in cold sweat...) Cheers.. :cry:

WMP is still around, will still be in Windows 10, but it's also pretty much done.  They haven't worked on it or updated it at all, and it doesn't look like they will.  At some point in the future they new music and videos apps will replace WMP but we're not at that point yet.

None.  Just a surprising 'cultural' export. 

I don't know what to say about that .

That man is just a man .

It's never equal with culture .

But nice joke .

How about a new build next week ? 

Looks ok in this mode but when maximized, its just a massive waste of space.

A personal opinion, can't they add something near 'Updates & Security' to complete the second row? :s Its killing me.

I think 'System' has way too many submenus than the rest. Maybe separating all the App settings from 'System' and adding it under a separate button would solve (like 'Search and Apps' in current Windows 8).

Some devices have an "Extra" category. Also, the number of pages in System has been cut almost in half in 10108 compared to 10074.

WMP is still around, will still be in Windows 10, but it's also pretty much done.  They haven't worked on it or updated it at all, and it doesn't look like they will.  At some point in the future they new music and videos apps will replace WMP but we're not at that point yet.

Thank you...Cheers

At some point in the future they new music and videos apps will replace WMP but we're not at that point yet.

I can only imagine how much people will cry about that whether or not the new apps are superior (they already are, but still.)

I can only imagine how much people will cry about that whether or not the new apps are superior (they already are, but still.)

There's a number of things the music app needs to be able to do to surpass WMP IMO, like ID3 tag editing and album art and so on.

Microsoft has never come out and set a release date. The only places that say end of July are articles on tech sites.

AFAIK, the CEO of AMD unintentionally said MS is looking for an end of July release. 

There's a number of things the music app needs to be able to do to surpass WMP IMO, like ID3 tag editing and album art and so on.

There are things that matter more to a lot of people that are far better in the new apps though.  For a non music example -

http://www.techspot.com/article/799-battery-life-analysis-video-playback/

You're looking at over an hours worth of extra battery life playing videos or massively reduced CPU usage in some scenarios.  I can't say if the same is true with the music app or not without more searching, but you get the idea.

There are things that matter more to a lot of people that are far better in the new apps though.  For a non music example -

http://www.techspot.com/article/799-battery-life-analysis-video-playback/

You're looking at over an hours worth of extra battery life playing videos or massively reduced CPU usage in some scenarios.  I can't say if the same is true with the music app or not without more searching, but you get the idea.

There are a lot of good music apps on line, and it is personal preference for users. I have plugged in 500+ albums and gave the music player a go. Although it is a good start and may very well replace WMP in the future, it is not as versatile as WMP. Issues are configuration/properties like tagging, album art,rating systems for individual songs and it is glitchy as hell right now. It does show promise and I will gladly switch to it as it matures...but for now there are other "superior apps"...Cheers.... :)

Is it me or has the ability to put different wallpapers on each monitor vanished? It used to be on the legacy wallpaper screen but now it's moved 100% to the modern app I don't see it.

post-350302-0-04359000-1430864666.png

Hey, is the latest build of Windows 10 good enough for the Surface Pro 3? I've been using the insider build for a while on my desktop, but I'm not sure if I should try it out on my Surface.

Hey, is the latest build of Windows 10 good enough for the Surface Pro 3? I've been using the insider build for a while on my desktop, but I'm not sure if I should try it out on my Surface.

General consensus is it's very buggy for Surface Pro 3, stick with 10061 for now.

Don't it ruins the touch experience of Windows 8.

• Like 2

I really liked their solution for the small tablets, where they hid the left column of the start screen behind the hamburger menu

Wouldn't it be nice if we also got that option on larger tablets and 2 in 1's?

That with a full screen/start menu size solution for the All Apps section would make it a lot better for me

• Like 2

Is it me or has the ability to put different wallpapers on each monitor vanished? It used to be on the legacy wallpaper screen but now it's moved 100% to the modern app I don't see it.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

I completely forgot about that. Feedback time!

There are a lot of good music apps on line, and it is personal preference for users. I have plugged in 500+ albums and gave the music player a go. Although it is a good start and may very well replace WMP in the future, it is not as versatile as WMP. Issues are configuration/properties like tagging, album art,rating systems for individual songs and it is glitchy as hell right now. It does show promise and I will gladly switch to it as it matures...but for now there are other "superior apps"...Cheers.... :)

I don't need my music player to do anything but play music.  I don't need it to watch videos view photos or fix the kitchen sink, so as you say personal preference.  Haven't had any glitches with either the main app or the preview.  Very much disagree about other apps being 'superior.'

I'm not saying it's for everyone, I'm saying it may have notable advantages.

I completely forgot about that. Feedback time!

The underlying support is probably still there, I doubt there changed that backend code, it just hasn't made it's way into the new settings app yet. at least adding feedback would remind them about it. 

I didn't follow this thread in a long time and I stopped updating the Win 10 preview releases since 9xxx, but I've been checking the front page news about it. I have a question: it seems that with each new build, there are minor things added/changed (I'm not talking about bugs and stuff like this), and the release date is coming up fast. Do you think the final release will be THAT much different from what we're seeing already?

I don't need my music player to do anything but play music.  I don't need it to watch videos view photos or fix the kitchen sink, so as you say personal preference.  Haven't had any glitches with either the main app or the preview.  Very much disagree about other apps being 'superior.'

I'm not saying it's for everyone, I'm saying it may have notable advantages.

I think you may have misinterpreted what a few of us were saying...We were comparing the music app to the music player in WMP. I, for one, only use WMP for music, and that's it. There are other photo programs out there,ie Adobe and there are a multitude of video players available, for all tastes. For music and  music only...the music app is extremely limited at this time but hopefully in the future it will progress. With out being rude..the "superior" comment was a reply to the dust off you gave a comment when you probably had not even tried it. The battery lifetime reference for programs is a bit irrelevant for desktop use as I believe the majority of  MS operating systems users are still the desktop variety for home/business. Is it an issue for mobile, definitely, but I believe MS has to strike a balance for desktop and mobile use for both camps.  

• Like 1

well..I finally updated my tablet (Stream 7) to 10074 yesterday and Win10 on tablets is ######ed up..seriously.

The tablet mode causes weird glitches in start menu(?), some dialogs and apps simply disappear until the mode is turned off.

Both Spartan and IE are useless for simple browsing(no back-fwd. gestures). Brightness slider is replaced with a button instead of a slider and so on.

You should wait.

• Like 2

I think there will be preview builds after RTM as well.

As shown in above screenshot there is a option to opt for preview builds. Though opting out is not available now, once it hits RTM, there will be an option to get preview releases.

post-526077-0-46785600-1430884678.jpg

I think there will be preview builds after RTM as well.

As shown in above screenshot there is a option to opt for preview builds. Though opting out is not available now, once it hits RTM, there will be an option to get preview releases.

Since they have a way to upgrade to new builds of the OS I assume you are correct on that. Makes sense because they can keep adding new features without having to release a whole new OS and they will have tons of people to test them like they currently are for the technical preview.

When Corporate Suits rule over popular opinion. #WillTheyListen 

28k7adj.png

• Like 2