[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

FWIW - I like Office 2016  (couldn't find an Office 2016 thread) :blush:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1246536-office-universaloffice-2016-consumer-preview/

Yea, that thread never got pinned.

Apps thread:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1244146-windows-preview-apps-for-windows-10/

I don't need my music player to do anything but play music.  I don't need it to watch videos view photos or fix the kitchen sink, so as you say personal preference.  Haven't had any glitches with either the main app or the preview.  Very much disagree about other apps being 'superior.'

I'm not saying it's for everyone, I'm saying it may have notable advantages.

I agree; that's why I use Dopamine :D

Could someone please tell me if the app development model is VERY different compared to 8.1?

I am currently doing my thesis about cross-device location-aware search thingy, and I am not sure if I should upgrade to Windows 10 and do it there, or stick to 8.1. :/

Just an idea, you may already have considered this, why not try it in a VM?

As much as users ask them to, MS is not going to call it Spartan now, it's going to be named Edge, there's a few reasons for this.  First off, the Edge name is used for the new engine, so no need to mix naming up.  Second, and more important, they can keep using the big blue E logo for it, lots of people out there know that you hit the blue E to go online, now they don't have to change the icon that the majority of average users know.

As much as users ask them to, MS is not going to call it Spartan now, it's going to be named Edge, there's a few reasons for this.  First off, the Edge name is used for the new engine, so no need to mix naming up.  Second, and more important, they can keep using the big blue E logo for it, lots of people out there know that you hit the blue E to go online, now they don't have to change the icon that the majority of average users know.

I don't care if they call it Spartan or Edge or Iguana Sam but that logo is the worst possible thing for it.

"Hey come look at our new browser!  It's still IE!"  is not the message they should be sending.

People know Spartan, those who update to Windows 10 will have some technology knowledge, and Spartan is cool IE is not. 

I think you're overestimating how many people even know which OS they are using. Clicking the blue e is all they know, which is why they are still using generations old versions instead of upgrading.

I agree that the logo is horrible, but they can't step away from that property. Maybe different style on the e, but it needs to be similar.

I think you're overestimating how many people even know which OS they are using. Clicking the blue e is all they know, which is why they are still using generations old versions instead of upgrading.

I agree that the logo is horrible, but they can't step away from that property. Maybe different style on the e, but it needs to be similar.

The old blue E will be hidden, I think. People will learn eventually. I taught my grandma how to click Chrome instead of IE

^This,  it has to be a blue E or some form of it because it's what the average consumer knows after 20 years.   I don't see anything wrong with the new Edge icon, it's familiar yet new at the same time.  Could it be better? Maybe? 

I swear I saw like a million posts here on Neowin about how Spartan is a terrible name for a browser and Microsoft should never use it.

What happened? :huh:

I swear I saw like a million posts here on Neowin about how Spartan is a terrible name for a browser and Microsoft should never use it.

Umm, they listened?

I haven't seen any post that said Spartan was a bad name.

^This,  it has to be a blue E or some form of it because it's what the average consumer knows after 20 years.   I don't see anything wrong with the new Edge icon, it's familiar yet new at the same time.  Could it be better? Maybe? 

No. People will adjust to new icons and names. Google launched Chrome. Apple launched iCloud. They are well known now.  IE is also well know for being the worst browser on the planet that everyone should avoid the blue e.

Chrome was a first version for Google, they didn't have brand recognition to build on. Apple iCloud 1) used the i-whatever prefix of Apple, 2) used the word "cloud", and 3) was pretty much forced on every user who uses it.

EDIT

Hell, in tech support, I've had clients not know if they had Windows or Mac. I've had people call their Android their iPhone and not know the difference.

This is why MS was sued for packaging IE with Windows and why early browser shortcuts were "Access the Internet" or other such phrases - people are idiots and use whatever icon is on the desktop.

Edited by Zagadka

Chrome was a first version for Google, they didn't have brand recognition to build on. Apple iCloud 1) used the i-whatever prefix of Apple, 2) used the word "cloud", and 3) was pretty much forced on every user who uses it.

EDIT

Hell, in tech support, I've had clients not know if they had Windows or Mac. I've had people call their Android their iPhone and not know the difference.

This is why MS was sued for packaging IE with Windows and why early browser shortcuts were "Access the Internet" or other such phrases - people are idiots and use whatever icon is on the desktop.

Exactly, which is why they did away with the start menu since few people actually used it. But of course, it's back and people can still ignore it, I guess.

It's also why the save icon is still a floppy disk after all these years, I don't see people complaining about changing that, nor is there a need to.   Could MS make the Edge icon better?  Sure, one thing I'd like to see is for Edge to have a live tile that actually shows info this time.  Maybe a preview image of the tab it's open to and also a number of how many tabs are open as well.

They could maybe even let different extensions send info to the live tile, or heck, for starters maybe the download manager in it can post info as it's downloading files.

The continued use of the floppy for save is just one of those things. We also use trash cans, icons of rotary phones, Hell, the fact that we still rely on "folders" and "files" is a tremendous throwback. And the use of a 8 1/2 x 10 piece of paper as the default icon for a file. And none of that will change, since it just works and retraining people would be silly.

When Corporate Suits rule over popular opinion. #WillTheyListen 

28k7adj.png

Wow 17,416 people really are trying to waste every bodies time. 

Wow 17,416 people really are trying to waste every bodies time. 

Really its to see how much they listen. Obviously they thought Edge would have some type of effect or they wouldn't have stopped using Spartan. This is probably why you are not in charge of renaming the browser. :p

Really its to see how much they listen. Obviously they thought Edge would have some type of effect or they wouldn't have stopped using Spartan. This is probably why you are not in charge of renaming the browser. :p

Actually 17,416 people failed to realise what the point of these suggestions is for, branding isn't one of them.

Branding has no business in the hands of the people, never has and never will. Those people should spend less time moaning that the browser they probably won't use, has a name they probably don;t like. What they need to realise is with six months they won't care any more. They need to stop wasting their own time and move on now.

Actually 17,416 people failed to realise what the point of these suggestions is for, branding isn't one of them.

Branding has no business in the hands of the people, never has and never will. Those people should spend less time moaning that the browser they probably won't use, has a name they probably don;t like. What they need to realise is with six months they won't care any more. They need to stop wasting their own time and move on now.

indeed.. functionality and feel matter over tthe name anyway

Until Microsoft actually realizes that people recognize the new browser as "Spartan" from all the news floating around. Believe it or not, people actually read tech news outside of tech sites.

The day you realize Office 2016 has XP era icons:

original.jpg

Not most people though, that's the point here. Yeah there's a few million insiders who recognise Spartan, but compare that to the potential market reach of Windows 10 and it's really not that much. Besides the insiders are more experienced and technical users anyways so the name isn't really going to make much difference to them.

To be honest I'd like to thing the marketing guys at Microsoft who no doubt have years of experience with this type of thing have got a better idea of what to do than a few people complaining on the internet.

• Like 1

indeed.. functionality and feel matter over tthe name anyway

Exactly. All the moaning in the user voice page is just noise getting in the way of the real issues.

I'm hoping the edge team have a little button on the uservoice page that they can click that mutes stupid threads like the "rename back to spartan" and "redesign logo" ones.

We need them to concentrate on standards and things like no <picture>, no filters, no will change,  no html templates... etc etc. Make the Edge engine a truly modern, up-to-date engine and a contender to Blink.

Until Microsoft actually realizes that people recognize the new browser as "Spartan" from all the news floating around. Believe it or not, people actually read tech news outside of tech sites.

Don't kid yourself. A tiny minority of the public actually know about "Spartan". and of those people, not all them want it to remain as Spartan. 

Even those that do will be over it in a few months, and then there will be the sort of people who still use XP (and once 10 is released, 7) who will never be happy any way.

There's far more important things the Edge team need to be looking at, the branding isn;t one of them, it's just noise in the feedback channels getting in the way of the real issues.