[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Yea, I wouldn't use Windows Insiders as a barometer of how consumers will react.

I'm pretty sure that MS has run many, many focus groups of people who don't go out of their way to test unreleased software.

Spartan isn't even that good of a name. I mean, it sounds kinda good and keeps the Halo connection Cortana has, but it has no bearing on being an internet browser. Among non-nerds, Edge is a better name and is more fair to people who just know the blue e icon while also promoting the new rendering engine. It can even be called IE Edge.

• Like 1

Actually 17,416 people failed to realise what the point of these suggestions is for, branding isn't one of them.

Branding has no business in the hands of the people, never has and never will. Those people should spend less time moaning that the browser they probably won't use, has a name they probably don;t like. What they need to realise is with six months they won't care any more. They need to stop wasting their own time and move on now.

I don't know about that. The online reaction to the marketing suggested name Edge is "Meh, I guess it will do.", "I don't really like that icon.", and "It reminds me too much of Internet Explorer." And then there's another option with the people who made it using a codename that caught on and has an icon already associated with it. If I had to choose the option people felt indifferent about and the one they were excited over I think I'd choose Spartan.

Also, "Branding has no business in the hands of the people." The people decide what they want to buy. It's not an absolute solution, you still have to be a good craftsmen, but I'd say if you were making something you want people to buy then you should at least be curious about their opinion. Microsoft released a technical preview just to make sure they listened to what people are complaining about (and I imagine what certain factions within Microsoft are complaining about.)

I don't know about that. The online reaction to the marketing suggested name Edge is "Meh, I guess it will do.", "I don't really like that icon.", and "It reminds me too much of Internet Explorer." or option B was the people who made it used a codename that caught on and has a icon already associated with it. I think I'd choose Spartan.

The code name caught on with a select bunch of insiders, not the general public. The general public, who make up the majority of users in the end, know very little of the name "Spartan", and once MS markets the crap out of "Edge", which they will do, the general public will know exactly what Edge is.

Yeah I think Edge is fine. The general public doesn't care about browsers, they either use what is default or what other people to tell them to use/install on their machine. The name Edge sounds fine, no one cares about what the icon looks like. As long as the experience is better, Microsoft may regain some users. 

The code name caught on with a select bunch of insiders, not the general public. The general public, who make up the majority of users in the end, know very little of the name "Spartan", and once MS markets the crap out of "Edge", which they will do, the general public will know exactly what Edge is.

Well, it's nice you think that. I don't agree with it at all. They marketed all they could out of Windows 8. I saw almost all of it. That marketing campaign didn't help on it's own effort.

Wow 17,416 people really are trying to waste every bodies time. 

probably 3 votes per person, unless that's one of the places they allow 5 votes..

Until Microsoft actually realizes that people recognize the new browser as "Spartan" from all the news floating around. Believe it or not, people actually read tech news outside of tech sites.

I could go out and ask 100 random people on the street today avoiding those that look like obvious geeks and none of them would know what spartan is. a lot would know what IE/internet explorer is, but by far not all, everyone would know that the e is for internet.

• Like 1

Well, it's nice you think that. I don't agree with it at all. They marketed all they could out of Windows 8. I saw almost all of it. That marketing campaign didn't help on it's own effort.

That's because the press was doing their best to undermine it. from tech press to regular news papers talking about ###### they didn't have a clue about and tech journalists thinking of themselves rather than the regular users who actually benefited from 8. 

• Like 2

You can't really disagree with "Fact" i'm afraid, that's not how it works.

When Corporate Suits rule over popular opinion. #WillTheyListen 

28k7adj.png

The feedback was posted on Oct 16 2014. So a large majority would have voted for it even before they knew what the browser would be called. I don't think its really an Edge vs Spartan thing. imo Edge is a solid name but I cant comment on its logo. I'll wait and watch.

You can't really disagree with "Fact" i'm afraid, that's not how it works.

I can disagree with a choice someone made. They can still change their mind about it. There are people that like the name. I like the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCmyiljKo0&t=1m6s

That's because the press was doing their best to undermine it. from tech press to regular news papers talking about ###### they didn't have a clue about and tech journalists thinking of themselves rather than the regular users who actually benefited from 8. 

Even at Microsoft, people really didn't like certain aspects to Windows 8. It was designed in haste and followed UI paradigms that were unproven (and different from the desktop UI.) The horizontal scrolling, the fully off-screen chrome, the empty space through out the UI, and the full-screen windowing were things people didn't really like about Windows 8. Some were more charitable than others with their opinion. Some people I don't think could identify exactly why they didn't like it and I think that just agitated people more than usual.

I can disagree with a choice someone made. 

No, you were saying you disagreed with me, and what i stated was a fact. Therefore you were disagreeing with fact.

No, you were saying you disagreed with me, and what i stated was a fact. Therefore you were disagreeing with fact.

You are stating what you think will happen and what is likely to happen, but it is not a fact until it has happened. The userbase is part of the general public. The general public likes choice. So saying they'll just like it because that's what they are marketed doesn't make something good. No one likes being force feed anything. I think if they are trying to distance themselves from Internet Explorer the logo doesn't help. I like the Edge name and the Spartan name. I like the Spartan name a little more. I could see Microsoft changing their mind about this.

I really liked their solution for the small tablets, where they hid the left column of the start screen behind the hamburger menu

Wouldn't it be nice if we also got that option on larger tablets and 2 in 1's?

That with a full screen/start menu size solution for the All Apps section would make it a lot better for me

If that were made available for "larger screen" devices, I'd be a lot more likely to upgrade.

You are stating what you think will happen and what is likely to happen, but it is not a fact until it has happened. The userbase is part of the general public. The general public likes choice. So saying they'll just like it because that's what they are marketed doesn't make something good. No one likes being force feed anything. I think if they are trying to distance themselves from Internet Explorer the logo doesn't help. I like the Edge name and the Spartan name. I like the Spartan name a little more. I could see Microsoft changing their mind about this.

So what you're saying is that once Microsoft market 'Edge', the average user wont now it's a browser? Okaaaaaay then....  :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is that once Microsoft market 'Edge', the average user wont now it's a browser? Okaaaaaay then....  :rolleyes:

I'm saying just because something is marketed doesn't make it better.

Pretty sure no one said that.

It does make it more known though which really solves the problem.

Pretty sure no one said that.

I said that. you said, "Branding has no business in the hands of the people, never has, and never will." I'm saying it matters to let the general public have a choice in branding, that marketing something without their feedback can be worse for the brand, and that marketing something just because the marketing department gets to choose the name and logo doesn't mean the general public's idea of what the brand should be doesn't matter... I could be wrong though.

It does make it more known though which really solves the problem.

It does, but marketing can backfire.

I said that. you said, "Branding has no business in the hands of the people, never has, and never will." I'm saying it matters to let the general public have a choice in branding, that marketing something without their feedback can be worse for the brand, and that marketing something just because the marketing department gets to choose the name and logo doesn't mean the general public's idea of what the brand should be doesn't matter... I could be wrong though.

It's not really the general public's view that they should keep the old name, it's a few thousand people on the internet, most of whom probably don't really care that much anyway.

Microsoft might well have considered keeping the name, but there are a load of other factors at play here so they ultimately chose Edge.

It's not really the general public's view that they should keep the old name, it's a few thousand people on the internet, most of whom probably don't really care that much anyway.

Microsoft might well have considered keeping the name, but there are a load of other factors at play here so they ultimately chose Edge.

Microsoft chose Edge. I like the name. When the supposed names came out of what they were testing for that name was one of the best on the list. Still, I just find it kind of surprising that that a few thousand people agreed on something on the internet.

I can disagree with a choice someone made. They can still change their mind about it. There are people that like the name. I like the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCmyiljKo0&t=1m6s

Even at Microsoft, people really didn't like certain aspects to Windows 8. It was designed in haste and followed UI paradigms that were unproven (and different from the desktop UI.) The horizontal scrolling, the fully off-screen chrome, the empty space through out the UI, and the full-screen windowing were things people didn't really like about Windows 8. Some were more charitable than others with their opinion. Some people I don't think could identify exactly why they didn't like it and I think that just agitated people more than usual.

Actually none of that was unproven. the off screen chrome was the most unproven, but even that had proven history in among other things android. 

Since they have a way to upgrade to new builds of the OS I assume you are correct on that. Makes sense because they can keep adding new features without having to release a whole new OS and they will have tons of people to test them like they currently are for the technical preview.

Although the thread has rapidly progressed the last day..I really hope that MS keeps the builds going. I would like to have the "release" and the "builds" as well to see new stuff as it evolves and use the "release" for daily work....Cheers

It looks like there won't be any new builds today. I was kinda hoping for a new phone build after what Neowin said yesterday.