[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Not sure if there is another way to open Edge on 10 local account, i`m all ears if there is...

It has worked for me in several different VMs. Local account only VMs.

Find the PS icon in Start.

Wait, what I wanna know is, who the hell even uses MS Paint at all these days? and then more to the point, who the hell paints with their finger?

Fresh Paint is completely different to Paint.

It is meant to be used with a pen.

Does someone noticed?

ooSyWrp.png

Wait, what I wanna know is, who the hell even uses MS Paint at all these days? and then more to the point, who the hell paints with their finger?

I just about spit out my coffee....... :laugh:

Video of changes in build 10114:

This definitely shows progress. Thank you for sharing.

Some highlights (for me anyway) . . .

At the 0:35 mark, the text for the user name and application categories are (finally!) aligned, or at least much closer together; I always hated the amount of spacing between the two, where the username text was positioned far above the text for application categories.

post-483058-0-44756200-1431206030.png

At 0:53, I see a expanded Start menu more like the Windows 8.1 Start screen!

post-483058-0-82835300-1431206069.png

Additional options for the expanded Start menu are observed at 1:17. I hope to see more options like those in Windows 8.1, such as the ability to boot to "All Apps," et cetera.

post-483058-0-69668400-1431206362.png post-483058-0-53726400-1428692117.png

Unfortunately, 1:29 still shows a confined "All Apps." I hope this can be made like "All Apps" in Windows 8.1, with sorting, the option to display more applications and administrative tools, swipe gestures, semantic zoom, et cetera.

post-483058-0-02732300-1431206304.png post-483058-0-85239900-1431206622.png

• Like 2

Looking better and better.  Now just needs the ability to categorize and sort the start menu (like Windows 7) and I'll be happy.

There is a new Fresh Paint for Windows 10 app.

It's horrible.

UI is for mouse users, they have ruined it. Who paints with a mouse? Why is is mouse optimized? Why is there a HAMBURGER menu?

I like using Fresh Paint but the 8.x app's UI is way too confusing for me (and my ~4 yo daughter). I don't mind it getting an overhaul.

and yes, she paints with her fingers. :laugh:

• Like 1

I like using Fresh Paint but the 8.x app's UI is way too confusing for me (and my ~4 yo daughter). I don't mind it getting an overhaul.

and yes, she paints with her fingers. :laugh:

How is it confusing? 

6o09px.png

Hopefully this helps!

• Like 2

Has anyone got the People app running yet?

It used to be one of the main bugs in build 10074 but they said they'd fix it soon in an upcoming update. I got an update for People, Calendar and Mail apps. There's a new icon for the People app but it still crashes before opening.

Any ideas?

lol, must..... resist....... joke..........

No it really isn't, I barely even use Fresh Paint and I know what each button does. It looks complicated from the arrows, but it is really simple.

Has anyone got the People app running yet?

It used to be one of the main bugs in build 10074 but they said they'd fix it soon in an upcoming update. I got an update for People, Calendar and Mail apps. There's a new icon for the People app but it still crashes before opening.

Any ideas?

Open? Yes. Kept open? no. Same issue with Windows 10 for phones, it doesn't open.

CDP2ZBWW4AAppd_.jpg

I don't know about Paint ... but a lot of people use the mouse in Photoshop ... or the wacom tablet (or other input tablet).

Touchscreen drawing is something far less utilized (for many reasons).  Obviously this change for Paint makes sense.

It wasn't used on the desktop because it wasn't available FOR use on the desktop; remember, touch-screen-supporting desktop hardware - and displays - launched with Windows 7 (not 8); while some included third-party overlays, others lacked it (or had it removed by their users). Photoshop for Windows has ALWAYS supported pointing devices - part of the crossover from the Mac (way back with Photoshop 3.0.5 - the first feature-identical Photoshop across Mac and Windows). Wacom digitizers included both direct support and a pointing-device-emulation mode going back to Windows 3.x (and NT 3.x) as standard equipment; Wacom's "failure" (if you could call it that) was cost/price compared to external pointing devices from either Microsoft or Logitech. In short, you could use it - it just was not in the budget of most users. You can STILL get Wacom digitizers for desktops - in fact, the Bamboo line is designed to be cross-compatible with desktops, laptops, notebooks, and even USB-supporting tablets and Ultrabooks. (The two models - USB and USB Wireless - are $39.95USD and $59.95USD via the Wacom Store (http://store.wacom.com/us).) But how many users would bite - despite the price being little different from that of a wireless pointing device?

It wasn't used on the desktop because it wasn't available FOR use on the desktop; remember, touch-screen-supporting desktop hardware - and displays - launched with Windows 7 (not 8); while some included third-party overlays, others lacked it (or had it removed by their users). Photoshop for Windows has ALWAYS supported pointing devices - part of the crossover from the Mac (way back with Photoshop 3.0.5 - the first feature-identical Photoshop across Mac and Windows). Wacom digitizers included both direct support and a pointing-device-emulation mode going back to Windows 3.x (and NT 3.x) as standard equipment; Wacom's "failure" (if you could call it that) was cost/price compared to external pointing devices from either Microsoft or Logitech. In short, you could use it - it just was not in the budget of most users. You can STILL get Wacom digitizers for desktops - in fact, the Bamboo line is designed to be cross-compatible with desktops, laptops, notebooks, and even USB-supporting tablets and Ultrabooks. (The two models - USB and USB Wireless - are $39.95USD and $59.95USD via the Wacom Store (http://store.wacom.com/us).) But how many users would bite - despite the price being little different from that of a wireless pointing device?

ok?  Were you trying to inform me of something I didn't know?

ok?  Were you trying to inform me of something I didn't know?

Not you in particular, jjk - I figured YOU especially would know (Wacom is, after all, on the GSA Schedule). The point I have been making (and it didn't start with Windows 8, either) is that price is often THE reason why a feature in other hardware either has a slow transition to Windows, or doesn't transition at all.

What happens when price is no longer a factor - let alone an excuse?

In fact, let's look at a much OLDER feature that became ubiquitous with XP - yet is still struggling to get used by developers, despite the utter ubiquity - multicore support in applications. (It's not even close to being a Windows-only failing; remember, multicore is just as ubiquitous in terms of Android and iOS; how much software - in either OS - takes advantage of it?)

The issue I am pointing to is that touch is headed for the land of ubiquity - just as multicore already has as well as digitizer support. It's not going to be less present going forward - if anything, it will be more common than ever. Even mouse users admit that digitizers are more precise; digitizers have price-parity with mice - right now.

Ubiquity is, in fact, inevitable - you simply cannot hide from it forever. That is the nature of technological improvements - and especially when it comes to IT. Hiding is, at best, possible only in the short term - like death, taxes, and time, tech improvements catch up to us all.

At the 0:35 mark, the text for the user name and application categories are (finally!) aligned, or at least much closer together; I always hated the amount of spacing between the two, where the username text was positioned far above the text for application categories.

attachicon.gif035.png

attachicon.gif053.png

Additional options for the expanded Start menu are observed at 1:17. I hope to see more options like those in Windows 8.1, such as the ability to boot to "All Apps," et cetera.

attachicon.gif117.png post-483058-0-53726400-1428692117.png

Unfortunately, 1:29 still shows a confined "All Apps." I hope this can be made like "All Apps" in Windows 8.1, with sorting, the option to display more applications and administrative tools, swipe gestures, semantic zoom, et cetera.

attachicon.gif129.png attachicon.gifPower.png

I'm all for giving users options so maybe they do this but right now, having all apps limited to the left side when in tablet mode/full screen works better for using your thumb and not having to let go of the device.

I'm all for giving users options so maybe they do this but right now, having all apps limited to the left side when in tablet mode/full screen works better for using your thumb and not having to let go of the device.

But it clutters the Start Screen when you should be able to fit more tiles. They have such a wide gutter around where you can put the tiles in Windows 10 now from the top and sides.

attachicon.gif035.png

attachicon.gif053.png

attachicon.gif117.png

attachicon.gif129.png attachicon.gifPower.png

Yeah not too keen on all apps list inb the Start menu right now

• The list is made longer by the spacing and addition of the letters of the alphabet
  • You can't select a letter to get to another letter like in Windows Phone
  • You can't start typing an app name when all apps is open to find it

Leaving you to scroll through the list.

Yes I know I can just hit Cortana and start typing, but I'm old skool :p

• Like 3

But it clutters the Start Screen when you should be able to fit more tiles. They have such a wide gutter around where you can put the tiles in Windows 10 now from the top and sides.

Windows 8.x has a wide gutter at the top as well, I agree the sides need less though in 10, just seems like they've got them centered when in 8 they were left aligned.

Open? Yes. Kept open? no. Same issue with Windows 10 for phones, it doesn't open.

CDP2ZBWW4AAppd_.jpg

It's rather odd that it looks more conventional on your end. It does not run on my computer, however it does on my mom's. And it has dual colored titlebar, based on the app's content.

CSujp6T.png

CDP2ZBWW4AAppd_.jpg

In my case it doesn't even get past the splash screen. At least you can see the contacts.