[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I think they changed the tile animation to "cube" from the flat two sided original version because of the upcoming interactive tiles feature, though this is my guess.

Of course they can be, but the average user never changes the default settings.

That's the point.

I love the 'cube' tile animation and I'd like for it to spin on a random axis too.

Well I hate it, who needs 3D extra stuff on Start? They should have brought over the WP flip animation if anything.

Extra feature that you can only get via Hololense ; )

If it could only be a D8 or D10 'die' like polygon! :D  F Minority Report, I want Lawnmower Man.

Well I hate it, who needs 3D extra stuff on Start? They should have brought over the WP flip animation if anything.

Cause it gives flat-world an interesting depth while still being touch friendly for the 'interactive tiles' George mentioned?  I assume they will be limited to the larger tile sizes for the same reason.  Avoiding skeuomorphism isn't necessarily a 2D/3D debate .

EdgeNewTab.jpg?itok=J5IKA-gf

Youtube "get the app"?

Wouldn't location services icon in the sys tray make more sense to be a compass needle or something?

probably a trademark issue.

Wouldn't location services icon in the sys tray make more sense to be a compass needle or something?

Not really. If anything the teardrop marker common to map apps would be better.

For something that comes up for a few seconds and not all that often, it doesn't matter that much.  It's been like that in WP since the start from what I remember, no need to really change it.

Isn't the tear drop a google trademark? if so then that wouldn't be better... something universal would be better and a compass is universal for directional finding and maps... or a little GPS Sat image or something... unless the circles are suppose to represent a beacon like you are homing in on someone... but then it would only make sense animated.. I duno, it just feels like it could be better

google might have issues with that

probably a trademark issue.

It is the map pin found in the Maps app on Windows Phone that shows your current location. They must have just gone with the same style since it is familiar already.

It is the map pin found in the Maps app on Windows Phone that shows your current location. They must have just gone with the same style since it is familiar already.

I remember the "pins" in Microsoft Streets and Trips as well...Cheers...

is it just me or is the tablet mode on screen keyboard completely broken after 10074?

in earlier build it would resize most applications when it opened so everything was pushed up. ever since 74, it opens on top of apps, all apps, including IE, spartan and chrome. Making it hard to log into sites or post on forums since the keyboard will be over everything.

Getting really annoyed with the Windows Defender automatic scans.  These were relatively easy to disable in Windows 8 but nothing seems to exist to stop it in any of the Win10 builds!  Deleting/disabling it from the Task Scheduler does nothing (nor does it show as ever having been run there) and the Automatic Maintenance doesn't have an entry in the scheduler at all anymore.  Yes, I know Defender isn't top of the line.  But that isn't relavent to this issue.  Anyone know how to get rid of the auto system scans?  I don't mind the real-time and occassionally run manual scans but auto scans once or twice a day?  Useless and annoying!

Here's a question that you need to ask yourself - how many of you play Candy Crush Saga?

Any platform.  (Smartphones, tablets, Facebook, etc.)

I'm fifty-three, and I play on Android (BlueStacks) and Facebook.  So do a lot of folks - both younger AND older than me.

If you play at all, why is CCS coming to Windows (the one platform that lacks the game other than in your browser) a bad thing?

NOBODY plays candy crush saga. If they do, they do not belong on neowin. J/S.

I'm tempted to install the latest fast ring build, but since my last incident, with the freezes and stuff.....I.....I just don't know.....

post-39039-0-82248000-1431771066.png

IMO this is why the Windows 10 UI (and 8.1) is broken.  Is this for the 'Great Modern UI debate'?  I don't think so - this is a functionality oversight.  And it just rubs me up so!

What you see is, top 'Modern' Facebook window, lower-left the uselessly notification-oblivious Modern app pinned icon, right IE doing what it's done since late 2008 (?).

FYI The pinned Facebook tile on the Star Menu (i.e. out of tline-of-sight) does also indicate 1 new items.

And then there's 'attached URLs with Modern App content don't open the Modern App, always the browwer...' thing.  Arrgh Microsoft, enough of this '2 UIs in 1' now..?

Thank you for listening!  :)

• Like 2

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

IMO this is why the Windows 10 UI (and 8.1) is broken.  Is this for the 'Great Modern UI debate'?  I don't think so - this is a functionality oversight.  And it just rubs me up so!

What you see is, top 'Modern' Facebook window, lower-left the uselessly notification-oblivious Modern app pinned icon, right IE doing what it's done since late 2008 (?).

FYI The pinned Facebook tile on the Star Menu (i.e. out of tline-of-sight) does also indicate 1 new items.

And then there's 'attached URLs with Modern App content don't open the Modern App, always the browwer...' thing.  Arrgh Microsoft, enough of this '2 UIs in 1' now..?

Thank you for listening!  :)

Any facebook notification shows up as a fly out massage with the user avatar and massage, than it shows up in notication center with the user avatar and massage.

IMO This is better than a red icon with a number. Also it's not a ms app.

NOBODY plays candy crush saga. If they do, they do not belong on neowin. J/S.

I'm tempted to install the latest fast ring build, but since my last incident, with the freezes and stuff.....I.....I just don't know.....

Nobody, huh?  I came right out and said that I did; what is with your harshness about the game, sir?  Were you as harsh with Space Cadet 3D?  Or Minesweeper?  Or Tetris?

It is an add-on - and an easy to uninstall add-on at that.  (FYI, FAR easier to remove than ANY of the games I listed above.)

Any facebook notification shows up as a fly out massage with the user avatar and massage, than it shows up in notication center with the user avatar and massage.

IMO This is better than a red icon with a number. Also it's not a ms app.

That's all well and good but what he wants to see, and I do also, is live tiles pinned to the taskbar actually acting like live tiles do on the start menu/screen.  They should update just the same, and show you a number as well, also the old IE pinned website way is a half job, it won't update at all unless the website itself is open.  Does no good to me if I haven't opened it yet, unlike live tiles which show you info regardless of having first opened the app or not.

Maybe we're not there yet, they re-wrote the start menu/screen over out of some need to support things better, going with XAML over the original which was probably just GDI/GDI+ based or something, but I think it's time to do the same with the taskbar itself, which from the looks of it they haven't really done.

It really should support live tiles pinned t it, and they should update like they do normally.  IE is getting the back seat, and I don't know if Edge supports pinning sites to the taskbar like IE does.