[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Wow, tablet mode finally kills the desktop.  Hated the new tab change to Edge, yay settings (linked in a rational way).

I get a different icons on send to:

post-5317-0-71815400-1432175722.png

Yip, happened to me after I upgraded,  had to do a full reinstall

Anyone else worried how buggy it still is so close to completion...

Actually, officially, they have not had their standard few-weeks-of-bug-fixing period before going RTM yet. Which is why bugs that are present now are just temporary frustration.

(bugs, not design decisions)

Microsoft, this is NOT the Start Screen we asked for OR deserve. This is also proof positive why Windows 10 needs horizontal layout options for Start and Apps. C'mon guys, this is insulting, and a huge slap in the face. 

post-420821-0-63026600-1432176074.png

That doesn't seem to happen here.

They must be doing some A/B testing, since we all seem to be experiencing some bugs that others aren't.

My Outlook.com account was picked up from 10074 - I had not set up GMail or my ISP mail account there (instead, both were set up in Outlook 2016).  Mail DOES support both (both now use IMAP4).

Does anyone think they won't address the column spacing in tablet mode?  Given how tight it is on the desktop, I doubt they are going to be that hamfisted.  It should start at left like it is in 81. and then bump out to the current position.  The 2nd column is again simply too far out, can't be final.

EDIT:  Actually, if you set Start on the desktop with a 3rd column (and maybe a 4th), it does fill it out to almost the correct positions.  Three, with a high DPI display and the show more settings should be plenty of space.

Looks like horizontal scrolling is here to stay though, not really happy about that either.  (Weather app)

Tablet Mode in Notifications

The issue I just reported is when I bring up a device in the device manager on my hp stream 7 and click /tap the update driver button it disappears off the screen,but if I swipe from the left side of the screen I can see it as a running window, but if I tap it the screen goes blank

Disabling tablet mode fixed that on my stream 7.

~

Where do you change it to fullscreen start menu?

There's a new Start tab in Personalization options in the Settings app.

God, this is such a waste of space. In 8.1 i can display 4 columns without having to use to scroll, it looks like a mess. Every build my interest in W10 decreases. Resolution 1360x768

post-537344-0-94586700-1432178974.png

• Like 2

Where do you change it to fullscreen start menu?

Settings >> Personalize I think

259bqtz.jpg

I upgrade from 10074 to the new build and store refused to work.

beta store said it needed repair

the regular store said I needed to log in with the correct account.

none of the apps would start.

I think the above problems happened because when upgrading it never showed the setting up apps screen(the one the show colored background)

I decided to refresh the system,

after that everything is now working.

I have noticed quite a few font changes with good contrast in a lot of windows instances,,,looks a lot more refined in this respect compared to build 10074...

stable for my desktop configuration....other than "Edge" misbehavior, I'm happy..new os without the new os smell (burnt resistors)...Cheers... :D

Originally did an upgrade install to 10122 from 10074 and had issues with Store apps crashing as soon as they open. Did a refresh install and now the only app that crashes on start is Facebook which I barely use anyway.

Spartan is working great for me soo far and the entire build seems a lot faster and more responsive

The upgrade isn't the best, people should do a clean install if they get lots of crashes.

The upgrade isn't the best, people should do a clean install if they get lots of crashes.

I have done clean installs for my VMs

Its like Gabe is reading the comments of this thread and deliberately making tablet mode horrible just to troll Dot lol. 

• Like 1

Mail and Calendar were finally updated (wasn't installable just yet), which sports better customization options to notifications. Can be limited only to Action Center, or it can notify you via 'notification banner' and via sound.

Anyone having an issue with the start menu not appearing when you click the button?

That's been happening for me ever since this crappy new XAML menu was implemented, and still happening in 10122, it will come up if I click it like 5 times. Often nothing comes up, or the Cortana frame comes up instead of the start menu. I have no confidence this will be resolved for me by RTM. When it does come up it sluggishly comes up taking about 2 seconds. 

Often, I have to close and restart Explorer to get the Start Menu to come up again. It stops coming up either by clicking or pressing the winkey. 

They are being extremely ambitious by RTMing this in June or July. 

God, this is such a waste of space. In 8.1 i can display 4 columns without having to use to scroll, it looks like a mess. Every build my interest in W10 decreases. Resolution 1360x768

Is that for real? I've not tried the last handful of builds, been to busy, but that has got to be a bug right?

That's been happening for me ever since this crappy new XAML menu was implemented, and still happening in 10122, it will come up if I click it like 5 times. Often nothing comes up, or the Cortana frame comes up instead of the start menu. I have no confidence this will be resolved for me by RTM. When it does come up it sluggishly comes up taking about 2 seconds. 

Often, I have to close and restart Explorer to get the Start Menu to come up again. It stops coming up either by clicking or pressing the winkey. 

They are being extremely ambitious by RTMing this in June or July. 

It is your machine. Try lowering your overclock.

My i7-3720QM doesn't take 2 seconds to open the start menu. It slides into view as soon as I click. The menu occasionally not coming up looks to be an upgrade or build specific bug; it happened to me when I installed 10122. A couple reboots have cleared it up though.

I decided to do a clean install from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 10122. The start menu finally got better in terms of design but that's not enough. It would refuse to open when I clicked on the Start button and had to restart explorer.exe several times. Pinning apps in the Start Menu caused them to have a shtty icon that looked like 50x50 pixels upscaled so my eyes would get cancer. Several graphical glitches on Firefox 38.0.1 and Nightly. System used more RAM and more processes than Windows 8.1 and that's not cool at all. So I reverted back to Windows 8.1.

All in all, I'm not impressed. I didn't have a single problem on Windows 7 Milestone 2 and all the leaked Windows 7 Betas/RCs. Guess I'll give Windows 10 a try when it hits RTM or RC1/RC2.