[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Is that for real? I've not tried the last handful of builds, been to busy, but that has got to be a bug right?

I don't think so. I've been trying to add more blocks, but i just can't, it is just two columns and a lot of blank/wasted space.

Managed to get black titlebars albeit with caveats while having a black and transparent taskbar (using high contrast modes makes the taskbar white and non-transparent).

First copy a third party theme that uses a black color into \Windows\Resources\Themes.

I use the Silk Gunmetal Theme to achieve this here: http://link6155.deviantart.com/art/Silk-for-Windows-10-Technical-Preview-487071428

Unfortunately, even with UxStyle, third party themes are broken on Windows 10 now. But for this purpose it will work. 

Set any high contrast theme. 

Now set it to the third party theme. It will fail of course. 

Create a PNG image with just black.

Set it as wallpaper.

Enable choose accent color from wallpaper option. 

Optional: The window border padding will be fat like 8.1 again. Use TinyBorders program to set them to 1px again. 

You can't even set the wallpaper to total black anymore unless you use a black image - if you clicked on a color for desktop background first you will never be able to set total black because the pre-set options lack an RGB 255,255,255 total black option - try it. So using a wallpaper is the only way now. Thanks Microsoft.

TODO: Hopefully find a way to get the text on titlebars to be centered again; Find a way to get third party themes working again; Find a way to change the titlebar text color

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/wkKiwjR.png

The columns spacing on Start in tablet mode is most definitely a bug, why are you all freaking out so?  Holy over-reaction by the Win8 crowd that should be celebrating what they always wanted, no desktop.

Drag and drop to pin on Start is finally working reliably, that's huge!

• Like 2

The columns spacing on Start in tablet mode is most definitely a bug, why are you all freaking out so?  Holy over-reaction by the Win8 crowd that should be celebrating what they always wanted, no desktop.

Drag and drop to pin on Start is finally working reliably, that's huge!

I truly hope you're right

I don't know if it is just my experience, but Windows Update on Win10 is much, much better than it is on previous versions. For one, it works (I have 3 updates that refuse to install on this Win8.1 computer). For two, it allows showing details and more options.

Just upgraded my VM to the new build....so far, it's better for me. The start menu stopped going haywire on my end, which is great. Still playing with it, though. (I set up oracle to use 3/8 processor cores, 5GB/16GB RAM, so far, it's really responsive on my laptop)

Wow, tablet mode finally kills the desktop.  Hated the new tab change to Edge, yay settings (linked in a rational way).

I get a different icons on send to:

attachicon.gifsendto.png

Don't they inherit the icon of the linked program ?

Microsoft, this is NOT the Start Screen we asked for OR deserve. This is also proof positive why Windows 10 needs horizontal layout options for Start and Apps. C'mon guys, this is insulting, and a huge slap in the face. 

attachicon.gifScreenshot (80).png

incidentally. if you set your desktop computer to not use full screen start menu on desktop, it will display two collumns and the left menu is always expanded. 

so for some reason my laptop, the small start menu displays far more stuff than the full screen, and I activated full screen just to see if I got more spacing or what happened. 

I don't know if it is just my experience, but Windows Update on Win10 is much, much better than it is on previous versions. For one, it works (I have 3 updates that refuse to install on this Win8.1 computer). For two, it allows showing details and more options.

Depends, are you comparing to the windows 8.1 app or the actual windows update control panel applet ?

Ahhhh, that really annoying overscan of a couple pixels from the past two builds has been fixed! (happydance)

Damn, the Insider Hub in 10122 is buggy. It seems to not recognize that you are an Insider half of the time.  Thank goodness that the Feedback app works as it should.

I've been using the Win 10 previews from the beginning in a VM, but today I tried it for the first time on my Lenovo Yoga which has a touch screen.

On this machine I normally run Win 8.1 and use the metro version of IE for browsing. It just works great with touch. No distractions from any chrome unless I need it and I can just swipe left and right for moving back or forward.

Now using Edge I find the screen so crowded, taking away a lot of the content and no more swiping left or right.

I hope they include a real tablet version of Edge in the end, as a later update, where full screen really means full screen.

At the moment I really prefer browsing on Win 8.1

I'm also in the camp of people who would prefer the All Apps to be more easily accessible, like in Win 8.1 with a swipe up from start, and give it back some more screen estate. that single column is just silly.

Loads of feedback about this on the Feedback app so no need to add more entries. I did upvote these issues

No just hope MS is listening :)

Its like Gabe is reading the comments of this thread and deliberately making tablet mode horrible just to troll Dot lol.

Why should anyone be punished for liking Windows 8?

• Like 1

cpu usage goes through the roof when browsing with chrome. 

load a page and it hits 80%

but at lest chrome runs fast.

my cpu is a 3770K 4.3ghz

my cpu is a 3770K 4.3ghz

If CPU usage was the big problem with chrome I wouldn't complain. the fact chrome insist on constantly using all the HDD access on my computers, as well as making system use a lot of HDD access which basically grinds everything to a halt, even on the desktop that runs on an SSD is what makes me hate chrome more and more. 

my cpu is a 3770K 4.3ghz

I have the same problem, been happening with a couple of builds lately. Im on dev Chrome too which is weird. Anyway I reported it in the feedback app, hopefully they will fix it, or pass it on to Google to fix.

my cpu is running warm at idle

found out it because this build isn't letting the cpu clock down.

I always had power management set to performance, and cpu still normally downclocked on idle.

but with this build its staying at high clocks, causing it to stay warm. 

cpu usage is at 1% and normally it would downclock with these usage.

that cortana animation seems quite blurry now compared to previous 10074 build or something..

also does anyone know how to get the my computer (This PC) icon on desktop? i am really lost on this one.

definitely some steps far away from RTM ready.

that cortana animation seems quite blurry now compared to previous 10074 build or something..

also does anyone know how to get the my computer (This PC) icon on desktop? i am really lost on this one.

not really.

the time that is left before rtm is going to be used for fixing bugs.

all planned features are added.

for the (This PC) icon to show on desktop

go to the start menu / right click on file explorer / open file location

it will bring up explorer with the icons shortcut showing. there will (This PC) 

right click and send to/ desktop

or if using stardock start10.

just right click (this pc) and click show on desktop

• Like 1

Right click on the desktop then hit Personalize. On the left side, click Themes, and on the right side under Related Settings, click on Desktop icon settings.

welp upgraded to the latest build... now my Microsoft account doesn't work at all... it asked me to log in with it, it logged in windows restarted then asked me to log in again and now it tells me that my MS account is no longer available to use... and all my access to MS sites with that same credential now don't work either... what the heck did this do now... worst part is losing MSDN access... have to see who can fix this there...