[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Is anyone else getting some weird window sizing issues with the Modern apps on build 10125? The second and beyond launch of such app ends up starting it in the upper right side corner of the screen, in its smallest window size possible.

Every Windows app starts really small, and it doesn't seem to remember its last size and position, nor its last state (maximized or restored).

Is anyone else getting some weird window sizing issues with the Modern apps on build 10125? The second and beyond launch of such app ends up starting it in the upper right side corner of the screen, in its smallest window size possible.

Every Windows app starts really small, and it doesn't seem to remember its last size and position, nor its last state (maximized or restored).

Same here, except that the app shows up on the upper LEFT of the screen.

If I pin it to the taskbar, though, it remembers the last size and position.

Ah my mistake, I wanted to say left too, since it's where it does appear for me as well. Not sure why I meant right. :p

I see, interesting. That explains why Spartan and the beta Store appear mostly maximized, or rather the way I have left it. Even if I start it via Cortana, it still starts it in shrunk mode.

Also in this build, if you put a Windows app in fullscreen, then Alt+Tab out of it, it'll stop then crash in background. Same occurs if you leave it in another desktop (even if it's not in fullscreen mode), or when it's set to tablet mode. Especially multimedia ones. 

The bigger news here is that Cortana apps for Android and iOS are on the way.

• Like 1

The bigger news here is that Cortana apps for Android and iOS are on the way.

came here to say this.

Edit: so the "Phone Companion" app is nothing but a panel with shortcuts to various phone apps? lame.

Exactly the same behaviour on my system. I'm positive they must know about this already, and it's even probable it's been fixed by now.

Ah my mistake, I wanted to say left too, since it's where it does appear for me as well. Not sure why I meant right. [emoji14]

I see, interesting. That explains why Spartan and the beta Store appear mostly maximized, or rather the way I have left it. Even if I start it via Cortana, it still starts it in shrunk mode.

Also in this build, if you put a Windows app in fullscreen, then Alt+Tab out of it, it'll stop then crash in background. Same occurs if you leave it in another desktop (even if it's not in fullscreen mode), or when it's set to tablet mode. Especially multimedia ones.

No flagship device - check

Services available on other platforms - check

Windows 10 a hot mess - check

What's the incentive to "switch to Lumia" now?

Exactly the same behaviour on my system. I'm positive they must know about this already, and it's even probable it's been fixed by now.

Just like how we fully knew that this build was not meant for the public, it still is a work-in-progress build meant for partners, YET we still went on with it, despite the warning anyhow. :p

Somehow it's still very rewarding stepping into this type of spotlight, so can't complain entirely!

I beg to differ. I believe they are going with the saying "saving the best for last".

Flagship Lumia device will arrive at the same timeframe when Windows Mobile 10 is stable and good to go. Current ETA for it is towards fall.

Nothing wrong having access to Microsoft services from alternative platforms, even though some specific functionality are found only in the Windows version. Cortana is an app on Android and iOS vs being more of a system framework in Windows 10 (desktop and mobile).

Windows 10 is almost entirely desktop oriented in the preview builds. That's why the IoT variation, the Xbox firmware and system upgrade to Windows 10 and the Mobile variant is out-of-sync in many regards. They are saving the tablet effort into the last bits before the actual RTM. The research was mostly done regarding tablets in the Windows 7 -> 8 era, and mostly they are trying to find a sweet spot from active feedback as well.

The incentive for switching to a Windows Mobile phone is of course: Continuum support, with that Windows apps support in a universal and adaptive manner, full fledged integration with Microsoft services (and not just as apps), everything fully synced in such manner, so not even the Phone Companion app is required, Xbox support for those who use and rely on their Xbox One console, and of course another main event - Microsoft Edge!

• Like 2

I honestly dont know why you even go on this thread if all you do is now TROLL. If you have nothing to add to the thread then go away

• Like 2

I wouldn't make such a big think out of Cortana on other platforms, they'll never be as integrated as it can be on Windows itself, there's going to be limitations by the fact it's a app and nothing more.  The level at which Cortana on Windows 10 hooks into the OS and other apps will be something you don't see on the Android and iOS apps.  What it does do is adds another app/service to draw users in and then make it easier for them to switch to a Windows device.  One of the reasons, besides the app gap, is that users are often tied into using some specific Apple or Google service/app and won't switch to another platform because of that.   If you're deep into using Apples stuff you're not going to switch to Android either, but if you start to use more Google services then switching to Android makes more sense.  It's the same idea from MS' point of view, get them using all our services, work on the app gap, and then win them over.

It's the only thing they can do at this point.

Clearly they need to switch to octagonal shapes like in Battlestar Galactica.

Hexagonal ;)

I do wish in this age of 'cloud' stores and ever evolving releases that we did have more power to pick our version.

Hexagonal ;)

I do wish in this age of 'cloud' stores and ever evolving releases that we did have more power to pick our version.

No no no, 2D shapes are soooo flat and retro, if Windows 10 is to not fail, it should go with the next-gen fifth dimensional birectified hexateron form. :laugh:

Not sure if trolling or a plant :huh:  :rofl:

I'm pretty much a dyed in the wool Android user but I'm getting more and more tempted with what MS might be bringing, if the developers make use of all the lovely toys being thrown their way I might jump ship.

Not sure if trolling or a plant :huh:  :rofl:

Trolling

The more people start to like Windows 10 in this thread, the more his anger comes out. His last few posts have been nothing more than bait IMHO. He's getting more annoyed with people who don't like the same as him. Becoming a familiar thing among the Windows 10 haters the closer it gets to RTM.

Then you have people that won't switch to Windows 10 all because of the icons. They love everything else, but the icons cause them to stay away. That's beyond belief right there. Something they can easily change when it's released and that's a deal breaker. More like laziness IMHO.

• Like 1

Missing from Windows 10:

Proper tablet mode

modern task switcher

SMS on desktop

OneDrive 

modern file exploerer

• Like 2

As I have mentioned many times, I really like windows 10 and believe it will be well accepted by the desktop work community, when it is "set up" as a desktop work environment. My question to the many network administrators on Neowin.... would you allow most of these "apps" to be present on your "secure" setup for your companies infrastructure? The point being, if your answer is mostly "yes", I will accept the direction that Microsoft has taken. On the other hand, if the answer was mostly "no", I would be inclined to think that Microsoft should have developed 2 software environments...The stable desktop OS they presently have for commercial, and then, to put all resources to a really good cross platform mobile system to acquire new customers with the ability for porting only the most important "apps" deemed by network administrators to the desktop environment. Or, did I just answer my own question, in which we have one OS and network administrators cut out a good portion for work...I am just trying to analyse why some hate the modern UI...(puts on rain suit to receive flying eggs!)  :)