[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Trolling

The more people start to like Windows 10 in this thread, the more his anger comes out. His last few posts have been nothing more than bait IMHO. He's getting more annoyed with people who don't like the same as him. Becoming a familiar thing among the Windows 10 haters the closer it gets to RTM.

Then you have people that won't switch to Windows 10 all because of the icons. They love everything else, but the icons cause them to stay away. That's beyond belief right there. Something they can easily change when it's released and that's a deal breaker. More like laziness IMHO.

well in all honesty, the icons were WAY over saturated, you could tell they were place holders how bright the colors were... but it's amazing people can't tell a place holder set by the appearances... the yellows were so bright they almost turned orange the blues made Cyan look dull :rofl: but anyone who knows windows knows you can alter the icons if you don't like them

Then you have people that won't switch to Windows 10 all because of the icons. They love everything else, but the icons cause them to stay away. That's beyond belief right there. Something they can easily change when it's released and that's a deal breaker. More like laziness IMHO.

Such people should not be involved in the Insider Program, IMHO.

As I have mentioned many times, I really like windows 10 and believe it will be well accepted by the desktop work community, when it is "set up" as a desktop work environment. My question to the many network administrators on Neowin.... would you allow most of these "apps" to be present on your "secure" setup for your companies infrastructure? The point being, if your answer is mostly "yes", I will accept the direction that Microsoft has taken. On the other hand, if the answer was mostly "no", I would be inclined to think that Microsoft should have developed 2 software environments...The stable desktop OS they presently have for commercial, and then, to put all resources to a really good cross platform mobile system to acquire new customers with the ability for porting only the most important "apps" deemed by network administrators to the desktop environment. Or, did I just answer my own question, in which we have one OS and network administrators cut out a good portion for work...I am just trying to analyse why some hate the modern UI...(puts on rain suit to receive flying eggs!)  :)

Happy Birthday!

Trolling

The more people start to like Windows 10 in this thread, the more his anger comes out. His last few posts have been nothing more than bait IMHO. He's getting more annoyed with people who don't like the same as him. Becoming a familiar thing among the Windows 10 haters the closer it gets to RTM.

I'm angry because Microsoft ruined a good thing with Windows 8.1 by throwing out the baby with the bathwater, won't even acknowledge 8.1 features people want brought back, and have turned Windows into a hot mess. Worse, it appears Microsoft is again making promises, and breaking them by shipping Windows 10 in an incomplete state.

Such people should not be involved in the Insider Program, IMHO.

Happy Birthday!

Thank You..... :woot:

I'm angry because Microsoft ruined a good thing with Windows 8.1 by throwing out the baby with the bathwater, won't even acknowledge 8.1 features people want brought back, and have turned Windows into a hot mess. Worse, it appears Microsoft is again making promises, and breaking them by shipping Windows 10 in an incomplete state.

While I do agree that you go sometimes a little bit to far into pushing your opinion. I have to agree that Windows 10 is, for how it stands now, a major downgrade for tablet users. Like it or not, but the Charms bar worked. So did the app switcher. The TaskView isn't as easy to use as the App Switcher. If you want to use 2 apps side-by-side in Windows 8, you swipe in from the left and have it pinned. In Windows 10, you first have to snap the current app to the side, then choose from the App Switcher which app you want, it just feels less convinient. Windows 8 apps on Windows 10 that use the swipe gestures from the top and bottom are also broken for Windows 10. And well, the start screen is flawed too.

But beside that, it's becoming a great OS.

I'm angry because Microsoft ruined a good thing with Windows 8.1 by throwing out the baby with the bathwater

For clarity, what was the bathwater again?

Charms never worked well, and when it did it was never better enough to justify it over other onscreen options (ie search).  Taskview, once tweaked, will be better than the App Switcher for the majority of people.  While I liked the fun factor of that gesture (much like the browser), having it default to 'next app' on swipe confused many, let alone the backward movement to get to the app list itself.  I'm sure there will be some customization around those gestures for power swipers, be patient.

Missing from Windows 10:

Proper tablet mode

modern task switcher

SMS on desktop

OneDrive 

modern file exploerer

Tablet mode exist and it works damn good. Modern switcher?  The whole modern concept was left with Windows 8 era. Modern DOES NOT exist in WIN10! Accept and MOVE ON. Also the new Win10 task switcher is the best one to date. Way better than anything before. Modern file explorer? I'm not gona repeat myself with the silly modern concept. Put simply its dead. Explorer Works fine and doesnt need to be change. One drive?...yeah

Tablet mode exist and it works damn good. Modern switcher?  The whole modern concept was left with Windows 8 era. Modern DOES NOT exist in WIN10! Accept and MOVE ON. Also the new Win10 task switcher is the best one to date. Way better than anything before. Modern file explorer? I'm not gona repeat myself with the silly modern concept. Put simply its dead. Explorer Works fine and doesnt need to be change. One drive?...yeah

Explorer sucks with touch. It's outdated. Many people still believe in Modern concepts, and are actively fighting for it on Feedback. Explorer is a big one.

Also, if Modern is dead, what exactly do you call all the new apps and features of Windows 10? They're certainly not reverts back to classic Windows 7.

Explorer sucks with touch. It's outdated. Many people still believe in Modern concepts, and are actively fighting for it on Feedback. Explorer is a big one.

Outdated HOW!? I use it on my Surface Pro 3 and it works fine. What more do you need from explorer?

Windows 10 has certainly improved stand by times on my HP Stream 7. It wouldn't last for 12hrs with 8.1 but now I am doing close to 24hrs of stand by. I guess the battery saver thing is coming handy.

For clarity, what was the bathwater again?

Charms never worked well, and when it did it was never better enough to justify it over other onscreen options (ie search).  Taskview, once tweaked, will be better than the App Switcher for the majority of people.  While I liked the fun factor of that gesture (much like the browser), having it default to 'next app' on swipe confused many, let alone the backward movement to get to the app list itself.  I'm sure there will be some customization around those gestures for power swipers, be patient.

He is talking about tablets. Charms worked beautifully and so did the swipe-from-left switcher. I don't mind the  new switcher but it is one extra click if I am using two apps on my 7" tablets.

Outdated HOW!? I use it on my Surface Pro 3 and it works fine. What more do you need from explorer?

Touch friendly features, and gestures. I can't use it at all on my Surface with my finger.

Hopefully a new build is released soon that fixes the issue with OpenGL games (Minecraft for example) having a rather annoying offset.

Anyone with build 10125, could please share some Start Screen caps, i want to see if the spacing problem is fixed. It also seems according to MDL that 10125 will be pushed to fast and slow ring.

Then touch gestures need to be worked on, not explorer.

Because Microsoft can add gestures to Explorer without changing anything to Explorer... Right.

I wouldn't make such a big think out of Cortana on other platforms, they'll never be as integrated as it can be on Windows itself, there's going to be limitations by the fact it's a app and nothing more.  The level at which Cortana on Windows 10 hooks into the OS and other apps will be something you don't see on the Android and iOS apps.  What it does do is adds another app/service to draw users in and then make it easier for them to switch to a Windows device.  One of the reasons, besides the app gap, is that users are often tied into using some specific Apple or Google service/app and won't switch to another platform because of that.   If you're deep into using Apples stuff you're not going to switch to Android either, but if you start to use more Google services then switching to Android makes more sense.  It's the same idea from MS' point of view, get them using all our services, work on the app gap, and then win them over.

It's the only thing they can do at this point.

Cortana on other platforms is a BIG problem - for the competition (read Google Now and Siri).  Remember, my big complaint about both is that neither accepts input in any way other than voice - that's a BIG problem for hardware that isn't a phone (or ANY platform being used where speaking is a no-no, such as libraries and other "quiet zones").  Cortana - for that reason alone - is a big win (not alone on Windows, either).  In that sense, I'm platform-agnostic (though it's my Mom, not me, that is the bigger Android user - with both smartphone and tablet Android-driven) - still, it's rather monstrous that Microsoft can go onto Android AND iOS, and kick Google's AND Apple's cans - on their turf.

modern task switcher

SMS on desktop

OneDrive 

modern file exploerer

SMS will likely come with the final release of Windows Mobile since it is a Universal App and has to be working for mobile. Delaying Windows 10 for PCs just for SMS doesn't make sense. I suspect People and Messenger will be more complete in that timeframe with basics for now on PCs.

What exactly makes a modern task switcher? Task switching is a very hard problem to solve and Windows has always had 2 main ones. Taskbar and Alt-Tab. So far nothing has come out that is better at task switching than those two things. The Windows 8 version on the left wasn't any better and actually confused things more.

As I have mentioned many times, I really like windows 10 and believe it will be well accepted by the desktop work community, when it is "set up" as a desktop work environment. My question to the many network administrators on Neowin.... would you allow most of these "apps" to be present on your "secure" setup for your companies infrastructure? The point being, if your answer is mostly "yes", I will accept the direction that Microsoft has taken. On the other hand, if the answer was mostly "no", I would be inclined to think that Microsoft should have developed 2 software environments...The stable desktop OS they presently have for commercial, and then, to put all resources to a really good cross platform mobile system to acquire new customers with the ability for porting only the most important "apps" deemed by network administrators to the desktop environment. Or, did I just answer my own question, in which we have one OS and network administrators cut out a good portion for work...I am just trying to analyse why some hate the modern UI...(puts on rain suit to receive flying eggs!)  :)

The apps are sandboxed and highly secure. There is also a lot of control as to what apps are installed so I don't see why any of that would be a problem for Network Admins. Universal Apps are just a different programming framework much like Java and WPF. There is nothing wrong with their existence. The problems have always been features of the API more than anything else.

Desktop will be released first with more apps ported to Universal Apps because they are trying to move the common apps to a new API and platform. Mobile will be released later with updated apps that will update on desktop as well. It's a lot like the original Longhorn development. They were trying to move to WPF and XAML for all the apps but WPF was too unstable during the dev lifecycle and in the end, WPF was too slow. Universal Apps is the replacement for WPF and is stable enough now to start moving the core apps to it like Start Menu.

While I do agree that you go sometimes a little bit to far into pushing your opinion. I have to agree that Windows 10 is, for how it stands now, a major downgrade for tablet users. Like it or not, but the Charms bar worked. So did the app switcher. The TaskView isn't as easy to use as the App Switcher. If you want to use 2 apps side-by-side in Windows 8, you swipe in from the left and have it pinned. In Windows 10, you first have to snap the current app to the side, then choose from the App Switcher which app you want, it just feels less convinient. Windows 8 apps on Windows 10 that use the swipe gestures from the top and bottom are also broken for Windows 10. And well, the start screen is flawed too.

How did Charms ever work? I had a Surface Pro 1, I used it only for Start and Settings. Never used Share, Search, or Devices. The universal Search button has never worked well because we are too ingrained to search the web via browser. I'm sure the stats showed they hardly were used. So why Charms? I think the Action Center is a great replacement for that swipe. Maybe they need to something with Start but too be honest, there are 3-4 different ways to get there on tablets (hardware button) I don't think it matters.

App switcher was fun to swipe to multiple apps, but it actually was bad. It's much more efficient to use taskbar or Alt-Tab like features. Not sure what they are doing though with the left side since I don't have it installed on a tablet.

• Like 1

The task switcher in Windows 10 is the same type of switcher we've had in WP, it's basically alt + tab.   It still works fine on a tablet, and it also ties into the new snap view assist feature as well.   The UI change for it makes it more consistent compared to the old 8.1 version which had it's limits.

Because Microsoft can add gestures to Explorer without changing anything to Explorer... Right.

They did add touch gestures in Windows 7. Explorer is still not optimized for use with anything other than a mouse.

You switched to Linux because of an OS that isn't even out yet? Bit premature.

They're not going to magically change everything, especially this close to RTM. They already have a direction they're going in, and I don't like it.

See snipped for my assessment of builds 10122 and 10125

Edited by zhangm
Please post your content here rather than link out.

Missing from Windows 10:

Proper tablet mode

modern task switcher

SMS on desktop

OneDrive 

modern file exploerer

Ability to change the titlebar color - a feature that Windows 8 even had - albeit very minimalistic. Now its completely gone and we are stuck with the "Some like it Hoth" theme where inactive windows barely look different than active ones. Note: I am referring to the titlebar color of Win32 programs. I don't care what color Metro programs' titlebars are as I don't use them save for Settings, Feedback, and Insider Hub.

I certainly agree on the last point, though I think its incomplete for different reasons than you do. Windows 10 is not ready for a June or even July RTM, that is for sure. 

Software deadlines are a bad idea, always. As much as users hate this, the proper way is 'It's done when it's done' Microsoft never should've made that announcement that Windows 10 will launch [thus GA, which is 2 months after RTM] this summer. If anything, they should've committed only to "We hope to launch it by the end of Q4"

It needs a proper 4-5 months of continued beta status, followed by 1-2 months of RC, then RTM. With healthy allowances for extensions of either or both time frames to allow for bugfixing. 

Since the Canary ring just received build 10130* it can be safe to assume we're not on target for June RTM at least. 

Canary ring: 10.0.10130.0 OSG ring: 10.0.10125.0 External ring: 10.0.10125.0  Insider fast: 10.0.10122.0 Insider slow: 10.0.10074.0

Grinch, on 26 May 2015 - 22:11, said:

Hopefully a new build is released soon that fixes the issue with OpenGL games (Minecraft for example) having a rather annoying offset.

One of many examples of why Windows 10 needs more time as beta before they even think of RTM