[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Probably Windows 10 will forever be in Beta and forever be tested... That's what the current trend seems to be pointing towards :huh:. There's nothing to be 'completed' before RTM, they just have to roll out a functioning OS and add features to it as time goes on.

@libertas83

Thanks for answering my "long winded question". I did not realize the apps were "sandboxed" nor the motivation for inclusion...I will have to pay more attention to this in the future..... Cheers

For me that's the biggest thing enticing me towards the new Universal Apps. Hopefully they will reduce WinRot by cleaning themselves up properly and be more secure while they're at it.

• Like 1

Anyone with build 10125, could please share some Start Screen caps, i want to see if the spacing problem is fixed. It also seems according to MDL that 10125 will be pushed to fast and slow ring.

33penmg.png

• Like 1

Anyone know if 10125 will fix this barrel of laughter that plagues the odd game and some other windows (A browser's 'about' modal I think)?

kJrXjdU.png

No, I have this issue with Chrome and Firefox on build 10125.

Oh, dear me. I wonder who screwed the pooch on this one? Microsoft or Nvidia/AMD?

Oh, dear me. I wonder who screwed the pooch on this one? Microsoft or Nvidia/AMD?

MS. I'm running Windows 10 in VMware, so driver issues shouldn't enter into it.

I guess this has to do with Microsoft fiddling with the titlebar theming.

Cortana on other platforms is a BIG problem - for the competition (read Google Now and Siri).  Remember, my big complaint about both is that neither accepts input in any way other than voice - that's a BIG problem for hardware that isn't a phone (or ANY platform being used where speaking is a no-no, such as libraries and other "quiet zones").  Cortana - for that reason alone - is a big win (not alone on Windows, either).  In that sense, I'm platform-agnostic (though it's my Mom, not me, that is the bigger Android user - with both smartphone and tablet Android-driven) - still, it's rather monstrous that Microsoft can go onto Android AND iOS, and kick Google's AND Apple's cans - on their turf.

Just type in the Google box, that does everything Google Now does via type rather than voice.

Title bar colors and so on will probably come soon'ish, right now they're off or not there because MS is testing and working on the new light and dark themes.

Also, title bar colors are less of an issue as more and more apps decide to use up/expand up into the title bar with their own individual app colors, in those cases the preset title bar color you have doesn't matter, it's overwritten.   2 months is enough time to tweak and polish the UI, and bug fix.

For me that's the biggest thing enticing me towards the new Universal Apps. Hopefully they will reduce WinRot by cleaning themselves up properly and be more secure while they're at it.

Seriously... Winrot?

that was barely a thing in XP... The only winrot that exists today is user-rot which you can't remove and exist on all OS'. users who install always running and background services apps that constantly sucks power. and that's not winrot. 

You switched to Linux because of an OS that isn't even out yet? Bit premature.

Why? W10 already got the shape, now is the time for polishing little things. Besides, it's the matter of personal taste - if someone want to use linux or osx nobody and nothing is stopping from doing that.

And as for Explorer mentioned in previous posts - it feels really weird with ribbon, quick access list isn't really helpful, icons size slider was much better in 7 (ye, I've skipped 8/.1) and toolbar icons are too small. They could finally rewrite it in modern style and provide for example tabs - which is the feature present in almost every other operating system but not in Windows (without additional software).

Anyone know if 10125 will fix this barrel of laughter that plagues the odd game and some other windows (A browser's 'about' modal I think)?

It's most likely a drawing problem of new window borders (or DWM) - Firefox nightly got same problem.

I certainly agree on the last point, though I think its incomplete for different reasons than you do. Windows 10 is not ready for a June or even July RTM, that is for sure.

Software deadlines are a bad idea, always. As much as users hate this, the proper way is 'It's done when it's done' Microsoft never should've made that announcement that Windows 10 will launch [thus GA, which is 2 months after RTM] this summer. If anything, they should've committed only to "We hope to launch it by the end of Q4"

It needs a proper 4-5 months of continued beta status, followed by 1-2 months of RC, then RTM. With healthy allowances for extensions of either or both time frames to allow for bugfixing.

Since the Canary ring just received build 10130* it can be safe to assume we're not on target for June RTM at least.

Canary ring: 10.0.10130.0

OSG ring: 10.0.10125.0

External ring: 10.0.10125.0

Insider fast: 10.0.10122.0 Insider slow: 10.0.10074.0

One of many examples of why Windows 10 needs more time as beta before they even think of RTM

I couldn't agree more. If they try to rush a release in late July, I think it's going to be the first time I won't become an early adopter since the times of Windows 95.

We'll see how it evolves from here on.

Seriously... Winrot?

that was barely a thing in XP... The only winrot that exists today is user-rot which you can't remove and exist on all OS'. users who install always running and background services apps that constantly sucks power. and that's not winrot. 

Things you remove can still leave files and services and drivers about, IMO that still qualifies.

Windows Runtime apps don't have that problem.  To be honest I don't know if they ever leave files about, but I am certain they can't install their own runtimes, drivers or services which is excellent.

Then touch gestures need to be worked on, not explorer.

aren't you rather arrogant about this? they could make UI adapt like Office does with touch mode and add ability to select files by tapping on the left side of the files/folders to reveal the checkboxes with reasonable spacing (unlike what checkboxes have now). it seems so obvious to do, but they just don't get it.

Seriously... Winrot?

There is actually a set of slides dedicated to the Windows 10 application model and it mentions Windows rot. It should be noted that Windows 8 introduced APPX and not Windows 10.

post-483058-0-13116000-1432758512.png

post-483058-0-20756700-1432758513.png

post-483058-0-05897100-1432758561.png

The updates appear to all be security patches. Unless they decided to put a fix for the OpenGL issues in there somewhere, I'm not 100% sure why standard security patches needed a tweet to hype them.

The updates appear to all be security patches. Unless they decided to put a fix for the OpenGL issues in there somewhere, I'm not 100% sure why standard security patches needed a tweet to hype them.

Just installed this secondary May update patch (there was another like yesterday or so). OpenGL content is still not in the right offset while in windowed mode.

Nevermind, you are right, these are security patches. Not sure why I saw them as non-security ones. :p

There was one that wasn't a security one, but it was just telemetry data related.

And also there's another group update for the MSN apps.

Edited by PotatoAlchemist

Things you remove can still leave files and services and drivers about, IMO that still qualifies.

Windows Runtime apps don't have that problem.  To be honest I don't know if they ever leave files about, but I am certain they can't install their own runtimes, drivers or services which is excellent.

Sure they "may" leave stuff behind, it just hasn't caused slowdowns in a decade. slowdowns are what users installed and have running in the background. 

This one caught me off guard....

There is actually a set of slides dedicated to the Windows 10 application model and it mentions Windows rot. It should be noted that Windows 8 introduced APPX and not Windows 10.

attachicon.gifDefining App Model.png
attachicon.gifWindows Rot.png
attachicon.gifBenefits of App Model.png

Seems to me that most programs automatically bloat the registry, hence "registry cleaning" on a regular basis. I have found sometimes that Microsoft is also an offender itself, particularly after updates....maybe this was meant to a generic user who is unaware of a requirement for timely "house cleaning" ...would not a feature from MS installed in the OS, help this matter....just thinking.....Cheers

The thing is, you can fill the registry with all kinds of crap and there will be no noticeable slow down from it. that's why they use it. 

The thing is, you can fill the registry with all kinds of crap and there will be no noticeable slow down from it. that's why they use it. 

That is what I had presumed..was not sure though...I thought the only penalty was on start-up...delay for registry read....Cheers

@PsYcHoKiLLa thank you. Finally it seems they fixed it, looking foward to the next insider build. I'll give it a shot, on my both home machines.