[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I didn't know this until today, but did anyone else notice that there is no GUI way to set wireless network priority in Windows 8.1?

ff847520.Davies_CG_0710_Fig6%28en-us,MSD

UserVoice:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8140008-add-back-wireless-network-priority

That is what I had presumed..was not sure though...I thought the only penalty was on start-up...delay for registry read....Cheers

I think the biggest thing that contributes to "rot" is filling up disk space over time and disk fragmentation. SSDs help for the most part, but they still have their own kind of rot as well. That is why you can do clean install of the OS, load up all the programs you want and it still performs better than if you had used that system for 2-3 years with pretty much the same apps.

• Like 1

cXvLG5v.jpg

It seems like Windows will be sold as USB-Stick instead of DVD (additional to download), would make sense with more and more devices having no optical drive.

Seems rumor has it Windows 10, will RTM in July. Seems too soon. Windows 10 still has many rought edges that Microsoft seems to have no plans on fixing.

No horizontal alignment options.

Tablet Mode is 10 steps backwards from Windows 8.1

Start is a mess yet.

All Apps is pitiful.

Explorer was never replaced/upgraded to fit the new look and feel.

It's a game of roulette on whether or not Start will open.

Edge is featureless and bland. Won't ship with extension support.

Persistent, always-on taskbar is frustrating to say the least.

Built in Apps are still missing a lot of features, and even some apps are missing yet.

This isn't good.

We need opacity (transparency) & blur sliders in Windows 10! In current situation, we're stuck with a fixed level of transparency & blur. Here's a UserVoice suggestion for it, Please vote: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7022877-opacity-and-blur-effect-sliders-for-themes

:)

• Like 2

We need opacity (transparency) & blur sliders in Windows 10! In current situation, we're stuck with a fixed level of transparency & blur. Here's a UserVoice suggestion for it, Please vote: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7022877-opacity-and-blur-effect-sliders-for-themes

:)

Transparency levels should be coming, they're in the mobile version so I see no reason they're not in the desktop version as well.

MSN apps have grey titlebars again. And the weather's heather bar takes after the main background color accent as well. 

Seems rumor has it Windows 10, will RTM in July. Seems too soon. Windows 10 still has many rought edges that Microsoft seems to have no plans on fixing.

Start is a mess yet.

All Apps is pitiful.

Built in Apps are still missing a lot of features, and even some apps are missing yet.

This isn't good.

I assume you are talking about desktop/laptop operation...correct me if I am wrong. I also noticed "start" button glitches (10122 with AMD) but since my system is set up for desktop, I used "Classic Shell" and problem is gone, as well as having full control of "start menu" configuration. For the taskbar, I assume you are talking about the quick launch, which can be on "auto hide", mine is. As far as "Explorer", there are much better browsers out there to use and the future is limited for Explorer anyway. Overall, in desktop mode, this build, even with AMD glitch's, is rock solid for me and will definitely be ready in July for desktop users. Edge is a work in progress and is installed so we can play with it as it develops...which is fun....Cheers... :)

...there are much better browsers out there to use and the future is limited for Explorer anyway.

He means Explorer as in the Windows shell/file manager, not Internet Explorer. I personally hope they have some super-secret redesign of Explorer that some other group is working on in parallel. They're probably keeping it a tight-lipped secret till closer to RTM if they are. That's my five cents*.

* Canada doesn't use pennies anymore. Had to round it :p

He means Explorer as in the Windows shell/file manager, not Internet Explorer. I personally hope they have some super-secret redesign of Explorer that some other group is working on in parallel. They're probably keeping it a tight-lipped secret till closer to RTM if they are. That's my five cents*.

My mistake.....oooops..... :huh:

If Microsoft wants for Windows 10 to succeed they have to actually finish this product and not release it in the current form. Right now it suffers from same problem Windows 8 suffered. Half of stuff are in Universal Apps half still in Win32 which also same applies to overall UI. I hope they do not think they should leave File Explorer in the current state because it would be seriously wrong decision. Either release modern File Explorer or don't bother with any modern UI in Windows 10 but re-release Windows 7. What i really like Windows 7 UI or Windows 10...that i will keep for myself.

Can't see them building a modern Explorer for Windows 10. Maybe 10.1 or something.

If Microsoft wants for Windows 10 to succeed they have to actually finish this product and not release it in the current form. Right now it suffers from same problem Windows 8 suffered. Half of stuff are in Universal Apps half still in Win32 which also same applies to overall UI. I hope they do not think they should leave File Explorer in the current state because it would be seriously wrong decision. Either release modern File Explorer or don't bother with any modern UI in Windows 10 but re-release Windows 7. What i really like Windows 7 UI or Windows 10...that i will keep for myself.

What exactly is wrong with file explorer other than cosmetics. The drop down tool pane gives you plenty of options..even emailing items. There isn't a file I can't find with it on my system. It has selection options, cut, paste, move, re-order, path-copy, quick or easy access and pinning to name a few...It's a "file explorer" and it does it's job great on my build (10122). As far as Win32/64 programs....they won't be going anywhere soon, almost all of my engineering programs (some at 8Gb) have modern versions and many legacy versions that will need future support for large companies. It's a beta build, we have to expect bugs, things are getting better.....Cheers........ :)

• Like 1

Start is a mess yet.

All Apps is pitiful.

This isn't good.

*cough* Longhorn *cough*

Guys, do you not remember the last time MS tried to convert the whole UI to XAML in one go? They tried and failed with Longhorn.

You simply cannot replace the entirety of the UI to some XAML framework in a timeframe that works with faster release cycle. Either wait 5 years for a new OS or move to an agile development model and do it in phases. Which makes more sense?

Redoing Explorer would have been dumb at this timeframe. What would have gained you? Oh some fancy looking new thing that has no functionality, yay. Existing Explorer works great on desktop as is and is not critical on tablets or phones.

Their number one goal with Windows 10 was to fix the severe gaps in the Universal App Framework (WinRT 2.0 if you will) that caused Windows 8 to have such crappy apps in the first place. Once it's feature rich, it will make it easier and better to continue to port Windows GUI over to it.

*cough* Longhorn *cough*

Guys, do you not remember the last time MS tried to convert the whole UI to XAML in one go? They tried and failed with Longhorn.

You simply cannot replace the entirety of the UI to some XAML framework in a timeframe that works with faster release cycle. Either wait 5 years for a new OS or move to an agile development model and do it in phases. Which makes more sense?

Redoing Explorer would have been dumb at this timeframe. What would have gained you? Oh some fancy looking new thing that has no functionality, yay. Existing Explorer works great on desktop as is and is not critical on tablets or phones.

Their number one goal with Windows 10 was to fix the severe gaps in the Universal App Framework (WinRT 2.0 if you will) that caused Windows 8 to have such crappy apps in the first place. Once it's feature rich, it will make it easier and better to continue to port Windows GUI over to it.

True, it's not really a huge deal, and your reasons for why they wouldn't do it (or haven't done it yet) are good ones. But we can't prove they're not working on it so anything's possible, if you'll forgive my slight logical fallacy here.

I think it should be noted that the XAML in use in Windows 10 is different from the pre-release .NET XAML that was in use at the time. Microsoft was trying to build the operating system ("Longhorn" / Vista) on components (or pillars, as they were known) that were not even complete themselves.

I want to see resume on failed file transfers. Why is this not a thing yet? 

This is also an area that has been addressed by third-party downloaders (both Free Download Manager and IDM, for example, excel at this).

In both cases, it STILL requires support form the server end for download resumption (something which is becoming less and less common, especially for video).

Start is a mess yet.

All Apps is pitiful.

This isn't good.

You act like they aren't working on those things and haven't been. Just because they haven't been fixed in any of the builds released yet.

Good grief you're being such a Negative Nancy in this thread. 

You act like they aren't working on those things and haven't been. Just because they haven't been fixed in any of the builds released yet.

Good grief you're being such a Negative Nancy in this thread. 

I'm not the only one saying "too soon".

I'm not the only one saying "too soon".

And? Just because your priorities and theirs (microsofts) aren't aligning this time is no reason to be such a whiner.

• Like 1

And? Just because your priorities and theirs (microsofts) aren't aligning this time is no reason to be such a whiner.

I agree with Dot that it is way too soon and wont get released, but since Windows 8.1, Dot has always maintained it's the perfect OS. But he fails to realise that 90% of Windows users have this awesome thing called a desktop computer, that doesnt have touch. Windows 10 fixes the mess that was 8.1 for those 90% of users and gives us back the features we need. Desktop is the priority here, once thats complete, im sure MS will get around to making those people who brought Surface tablets happy. 

Edited by zhangm

I agree with Dot that it is way too soon and wont get released, but since Windows 8.1, Dot has always maintained it's the perfect OS. But he fails to realise that 90% of Windows users have this awesome thing called a desktop computer, that doesnt have touch. Windows 10 fixes the mess that was 8.1 for those 90% of users and gives us back the features we need. Desktop is the priority here, once thats complete, im sure MS will get around to making those people who brought Surface tablets happy. 

Yawn! * again *

Except there are plenty of people that have never used Windows 8 with touch and still maintain that it is very good OS.  Windows 10 is a paradigm shift from Windows 8, but that doesn't mean Windows 8 is a bad paradigm.

I'd appreciate in future if you wouldn't talk on my behalf.... especially when spouting this BS.

• Like 2

Yawn! * again *

Except there are plenty of people that have never used Windows 8 with touch and still maintain that it is very good OS.  Windows 10 is a paradigm shift from Windows 8, but that doesn't mean Windows 8 is a bad paradigm.

I'd appreciate in future if you wouldn't talk on my behalf.... especially when spouting this BS.

Never once mentioned your name mate. And Windows 8 was great - for touch enabled devices, but it was (and still is) absolute s**t on a desktop. EVERYONE knows that. The numbers speak for themselves on that matter. Hell, even Microsoft know how bad it is (FOR DESKTOPS). That is the real reason why they are distancing themselves from Windows 8. They know if they want users to jump from Windows 7 and Windows 8, they need to distance themselves as much as possible from that operating system. 

I'd appreciate in future if you wouldn't take what I say as directed directly at you, because it's not. It was directed at Dot... especially when I even mentioned that 4 words in to my 'BS'.