[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Never once mentioned your name mate. And Windows 8 was great - for touch enabled devices, but it was (and still is) absolute s**t on a desktop. EVERYONE knows that. The numbers speak for themselves on that matter. Hell, even Microsoft know how bad it is (FOR DESKTOPS). That is the real reason why they are distancing themselves from Windows 8. They know if they want users to jump from Windows 7 and Windows 8, they need to distance themselves as much as possible from that operating system. 

I'd appreciate in future if you wouldn't take what I say as directed directly at you, because it's not. It was directed at Dot... especially when I even mentioned that 4 words in to my 'BS'. 

here you just said that: "EVERYONE". so once again, speak for yourself. Windows 8.1 worked just fine on desktop for me and for my parents and some friends. Current start menu on Windows 10 is pointless change with less features and customization.

Here's a universal File Explorer concept for Windows 10.

Concept courtesy: armend07 from Deviantart

Lookwise this File Explorer is looking nice & clean, but feature-wise not. There is no quick access toolbar.

lXKbu01.jpg

Never once mentioned your name mate. And Windows 8 was great - for touch enabled devices, but it was (and still is) absolute s**t on a desktop. EVERYONE knows that. The numbers speak for themselves on that matter. Hell, even Microsoft know how bad it is (FOR DESKTOPS). That is the real reason why they are distancing themselves from Windows 8. They know if they want users to jump from Windows 7 and Windows 8, they need to distance themselves as much as possible from that operating system. 

I'd appreciate in future if you wouldn't take what I say as directed directly at you, because it's not. It was directed at Dot... especially when I even mentioned that 4 words in to my 'BS'.

What crazy hyperbole is this? What's absolute ###### about Windows 8 on desktop? :huh:

here you just said that: "EVERYONE". so once again, speak for yourself. Windows 8.1 worked just fine on desktop for me and for my parents and some friends. Current start menu on Windows 10 is pointless change with less features and customization.

Thank you.  As a non-touch enabled user of Windows 8 - I was very much spoken for, in a statement which was patently untrue for me.

So 'everyone' does not think that Windows 8 was s*** on desktops without touch - making the statement very much BS.

• Like 2

Apparently I didn't get the memo again.....Win 8.1 on desktop (non touch) is (in my opinion) extremely good for my daily desktop activities. :)  

• Like 3

Apparently I didn't get the memo again.....Win 8.1 on desktop (non touch) is (in my opinion) extremely good for my daily desktop activities. :)  

What neither of us got the memo on was the new definition of 'everyone', which doesn't include people like us.

I guess 'everyone' got the memo....  :D

EVERYONE knows that.

I guess your definition of terrible is "Start is full-screen, thus it was terrible". Clap, clap, let us ignore everything else about it.

Here's a universal File Explorer concept for Windows 10.

Concept courtesy: armend07 from Deviantart

Lookwise this File Explorer is looking nice & clean, but feature-wise not. There is no quick access toolbar.

lXKbu01.jpg

Quick access buttons could be added to the appbar on the right side (where you see downwards arrow, I think that where it meant to be placed by artist in first place). But what I don't understand is the hamburger menu. The "File" IS basically the same thing, so it should be just one or the other and also with accent color rectangle on background. Add Office-like touch mode and I would gladly use this Explorer any day.

Also, where can I vote for this?

Also, where can I vote for this?

You can make a UserVoice suggestion yourself. The original concept designer didn't make one.

I don't know that. I found that 8 is the best version of Windows since 3.x - on "desktops"! ( I don't like referring to stationary computers as desktops, since I haven't had one that would fit on a desk since the 90s.) Not having to deal with the Start Menu was itself worth the price of the upgrade! Fast loading, better performance than even the very respectable 7, new ways of interacting with the OS, even with the mouse. I used 8 on a stationary machine for over a year before I had a touch device with 8, and I love it based on that.

Using 7 at work feels cumbersome and restrictive by comparison, and I don't like how 10's UI is basically 7 with a Metro paintjob. As the 8 detractors liked to say, "Why can't I have a CHOICE?!?"

I still say that 10's UI should be 8.1, with options for both Screen or Menu, and controls to adjust how desktop or Metro it is - up to and including all of one or the other.

• Like 2

Windows 8 wasn't a bad OS, it was a different OS. It could have been a commercial success if Microsoft included a "proper" guide on how to use it. In fact I still feel people are not going to use Windows 10 unless a tutorial explaining the most basic of operations like what are Apps, how to use them, how to install them, What are the benefits of using a Microsoft Account, how to use Cortana, how to customize the OS, etc. are showed during its first run.

• Like 2

Windows 8 wasn't a bad OS, it was a different OS. It could have been a commercial success if Microsoft included a "proper" guide on how to use it. In fact I still feel people are not going to use Windows 10 unless a tutorial explaining the most basic of operations like what are Apps, how to use them, how to install them, What are the benefits of using a Microsoft Account, how to use Cortana, how to customize the OS, etc. are showed during its first run.

I agree - the biggest failure of 8 wasn't the change of UI - it was the poor documentation of that change. Win 8 does everything 7 did, just as well and in some cases better, but a lot of people just saw the Start Screen and had no clue how to proceed. Many users probably never used anything but the Start Menu! A quickstart guide in the computer box and a decent walkthrough on first run would have gone a long way toward fixing that.

• Like 1

Doing a new touch friendly file explorer app is possible but at the same time they don't have to replace the current file explorer which works just fine the way it is for KB+mouse users.  The only thing it needs is a UI refresh to match the rest of the UI and the option for tabs would be a bonus.

A newer Windows Store, file explorer app that will work on mobile and tablet/desktop that targets touch can be a option, you don't need to have one or the other at this point though.

• Like 1

Doing a new touch friendly file explorer app is possible but at the same time they don't have to replace the current file explorer which works just fine the way it is for KB+mouse users. The only thing it needs is a UI refresh to match the rest of the UI and the option for tabs would be a bonus.

A newer Windows Store, file explorer app that will work on mobile and tablet/desktop that targets touch can be a option, you don't need to have one or the other at this point though.

Agreed. And, by now, they may have decided to add something like that in a future update later this year or even with Redstone in 2016.

Thank you.  As a non-touch enabled user of Windows 8 - I was very much spoken for, in a statement which was patently untrue for me.

So 'everyone' does not think that Windows 8 was s*** on desktops without touch - making the statement very much BS.

Same here - in fact, I was one of the first Neowinians to PUBLICLY eat crow on the subject.  What was telling about it was that I go back to the beta of 95 (basically the birth of the Start menu - which I was then in favor of) - and I STILL don't have any touch-supporting hardware that belongs to me.  (In fact, none of my hardware running Windows 10 is newer than Windows 7 - said hardware is a desktop and a pair of notebooks.)

Unlike Windows 10 (or 7), 8 was about neutrality in practice - not neutrality in theory.  (To quote myself on this very subject - "The Civil Rights Act - as it SHOULD have been implemented - has come to Windows.")  The one thing it lacked was adjustability for individual users (which is something that 10 STILL lacks) - WAY too much either/or.  Unlike how the CRA - or "net neutrality", for that matter - is usually implemented - by favoring the previously in disfavor by the use of mandated reverse discrimination - Windows 8 had one cross-hardware UI that treated ALL forms of interaction - pointing devices, keyboards, touch - equally.  You could even mix them - use two or more at once.  (This IS something that 10 retains.)

The disagreement DotMatrix and I had, in fact - about the Windows 8 UI - is that it really is NOT touch-only.  (In fact, my favorite feature in Windows 8 - StartScreen Search - is actually HARDEST for touch users, but easiest for keyboard-biased users, with pointing-device-biased users in between.

However, the critics - to a person - are quite heavily pointing-device biased; they actually put the pointing device FAR ahead of the keyboard.  With Windows 8, the bias in favor of pointing devices in general, and mice in particular, went away.  (I stated - rather bluntly - that there would be much screamage about that way back in terms of the Windows 8 Developer Preview.  Lots of broken ricebowls and applecarts all over the place - so much rice-flavored applesauce!)

As a huge fan of Windows 8.1, I think people are overreacting about the changes in Windows 10. I don't own a tablet, but I've tried using 8.1 on one and swiping from the left bringing up the last app felt weird for me. I much prefer opening the task switcher. And everythign else seems very usable. The only real downgrade in my eyes is the death of full screen "All Apps". Semantic zoom is also useful, but it's back now. Everything else in Windows 10 seems like an improvement to me. For any device.

Anarkii is right to a large degree.  Its all about the apps and apps were never going to come to fruition caged in the RT UX (anymore than MS's excellent cloud services would locked to WP).  I'm still waiting for crow from the usual suspects that said it would replace the desktop metaphor.  Most of their wrongheadedness stems from that failed idea.

"I still say that 10's UI should be 8.1, with options for both Screen or Menu, and controls to adjust how desktop or Metro it is - up to and including all of one or the other."

LOL, what does that even mean?  Like the things desktop users asked for but you were too busy selling them a new paradigm to listen?  Pulease!

I'm surprised there hasn't been any leaked screenshots of newer builds since 10125 leaked, where's the 10130 images?   Makes you wonder just how much of this stuff is a real "leak" or just MS dropping things when they feel like it.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any leaked screenshots of newer builds since 10125 leaked, where's the 10130 images?   Makes you wonder just how much of this stuff is a real "leak" or just MS dropping things when they feel like it.

I'm sure they'll pop up soon, someone on Twitter said that 10130 was shipped to partners today

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

They fix them in newer builds and just roll them back for now, it probably means little to the development process to do so.

Builds are up to 10133 last I checked, probably not going to get 10130, that might just make it to partners only and it could leak.  Next build to come should be higher, 10135 or something around there.