[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

As a huge fan of Windows 8.1, I think people are overreacting about the changes in Windows 10. I don't own a tablet, but I've tried using 8.1 on one and swiping from the left bringing up the last app felt weird for me. I much prefer opening the task switcher. And everythign else seems very usable. The only real downgrade in my eyes is the death of full screen "All Apps". Semantic zoom is also useful, but it's back now. Everything else in Windows 10 seems like an improvement to me. For any device.

indo, I have never owned a tablet, running any OS. (While I have used tablets, I've never owned one.)  However, Microsoft faced an increasing dichotomy, starting with (of all OSes) Windows 7 -  single-function hardware began to dwindle in terms of presence merely as part of the OEM hardware base (what the OEMs that supported Windows itself were building).  However, there was all the existing hardware that was already out there, and still going strong (which also happens to be the target of all the upgrade sales of Windows).  You can't ignore either side - and especially not if you are Microsoft.  That meant that the functionality gap HAD to be bridged - and in ONE OS.  (You might need a hedge bet - however, that still didn't make the gap go away.)  Windows 8 itself was the bridge - while Windows RT was the hedge bet.  We ALL know what happened from there - while 8 did NOT sell as much as 7 initially, RT fell and fell hard.  Still, Windows 8 is a darn good "bridge" OS, as it accommodates newer touch-ready hardware AND existing hardware that uses keyboards, with OR without pointing devices, or even multifunction hardware that accommodates them all - letting the user decide.  What it lacked was adjustability (some features from column A, with others from column B).

It wasn't that you couldn't migrate to the new OS on old hardware - and I wasn't even the least of Neowinians to do so.  The real problem was getting out of your comfort zone - which a large and rather vocal subset of Windows users wanted no part of.

It wasn't that they couldn't read the writing on the wall - most of these same users are further ahead technically than I am.  They just don't want to believe what they are seeing.  Emotion - not logic - is why they are pushing back.  That last analysis report from IDC MAY wake some of them up - didn't a similar report come out while Windows 8 was in beta?  That much-vaunted backward-compatibility - which 8 had and 10 retains - may once again come to the rescue.

Anarkii is right to a large degree.  Its all about the apps and apps were never going to come to fruition caged in the RT UX (anymore than MS's excellent cloud services would locked to WP).  I'm still waiting for crow from the usual suspects that said it would replace the desktop metaphor.  Most of their wrongheadedness stems from that failed idea.

LOL, what does that even mean?  Like the things desktop users asked for but you were too busy selling them a new paradigm to listen?  Pulease!

RT was ONLY meant to replace it in Windows RT; as I stated, RT as OS was a hedge bet. Nobody (except MAYBE Dot Matrix) expected RT to eat Win64 - let alone Win32.  However, Windows 8 proved that RT-type apps could exist ALONGSIDE Win32 and Win64 - without taking anything away from any of the three.  Even with Windows 10, those same apps haven't gone anywhere.  What went away was the hedge bet - RT as pure OS.  I'm far from upset that the hedge failed, as RT as API is still alive and breathing - and alongside Win32 and Win64.  I DO use more RT apps on my notebooks than on my desktop - and I've stated, time and time again - why that is, so I won't repeat myself here.  However, that such apps HAVE uses - even on desktop-formfactor PCs with larger displays than mine - means that they actually DO have a place - as much as the traditionalists don't want to believe it.

Also, what exactly DID desktop-formfactor users ask for beyond what they got in 7?  If anything, there was a large insistence on staying put right after 7's launch - basically a repeat of the "XP stall".  Don't let emotion get in the way of facts on the ground.

Am I the only one that misses full screen browsing?

I really enjoyed the Modern version of IE11 where there is no chrome and you could swipe left and right to go to the next/previous page

Hopefully they reinstate that option once MS Edge is "finished"

• Like 3

The bottom row.

Thanks anything will be better than the ones in 122 in my opinion, still not available to download on my connection in the UK.

edit

Downloading now, but very very slowly.

I should have it up and running soon (90% downloaded as I type this); I'll post a few screenshots once it's done.

I don't think i will get it downloaded tonight and i am on a 100mbit connection, still only on 4% and will have to install it as well.

These are the same icons from build 10125 if anyone was wondering.

Nope.

post-1302-0-77427800-1432937208.png

They looked more Win7-ish in 10125.

"We've updated our icon design to reflect our Microsoft design language, creating a more consistent and cohesive look and feel across all our product experiences. These icons are more modern and lightweight, while creating a better visual relationship between typography and iconography."

Well, I guess it's good to see Metro alive in some fashion.

For those wondering: Yes, the upgrade from the leaked build 10125 to 10130 seems to work. It's in the 'Applying Windows' phase in my Win10 VM right now.

From checking side by side, you seem to be correct but the changes are very subtitle.  The Blue is a little darker compared to 10125.

Excellent.....will have to download tonight(slow cable during daytime).....be nice to play with Spartan(Edge) again...I had the AMD problem.... :woot:

post-1302-0-54701100-1432939025.png

Colour me confused. The icons still look different to the screenshot MS posted.. 

The bug where title bars in Firefox and Chrome were off in build 10122 has been fixed. Now it looks like it should:

10130_2.PNG