[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

If I change it to the start menu and then back to the screen then the spacing goes funny. I need to restart to get it right again

If I change it to the start menu and then back to the screen then the spacing goes funny. I need to restart to get it right again

Sounds like it still needs work when changing between menu and full screen mode.  Sounds like setting it to full screen, restarting, will fix the issue.  At least we see how it looks when it's set the correct way, which is good IMO.

• Like 1

Sounds like it still needs work when changing between menu and full screen mode. Sounds like setting it to full screen, restarting, will fix the issue. At least we see how it looks when it's set the correct way, which is good IMO.

Yep. Still needs work.

I am actually seeing a fair few glitches in this build. Not that I am surprised - completely normal for this stage in the development process.

Yep. Still needs work.

I am actually seeing a fair few glitches in this build. Not that I am surprised - completely normal for this stage in the development process.

The fact we got this a week after 10122 is good news to me, we should see quite a few builds drop in June at this rate.

The fact we got this a week after 10122 is good news to me, we should see quite a few builds drop in June at this rate.

I hope so. There's very little I dislike about the UI now. The only exceptions being -

1) can't use Start Screen with a wallpaper if transparency on the taskbar is switched off. Not important but would be nice to have.

2) horizontal scrolling on the start screen would be my preference to vertical. I am sure I could get used to it.

3) All Apps is just a user experience nightmare that demands too much accuracy - must fix in my opinion.

Everything else is there or thereabouts (lots of bug fixing, optimisation and hardening). Not a perfect release but perfect releases don't make sense with a rapid release cycle.

Yep. Still needs work.

It looks like Windows 10 is very much "YMMV". I got different results with upgrading my VM, than I did with upgrading my laptop. :/

I noticed that build 10130 on my system has the wireless glitch, where occasionally, no SSID's are detected...just a reboot and all is well. I also run a triple boot and use the bcd display for OS selection...which is where I have noticed the OS is now "Windows 10", in lieu of  "Windows 10 Technical Preview"

Yep. Still needs work.

Release Candidate builds DO glitch - Microsoft has never (as in ever) had a first RC build without glitches - it took Windows 95 six RC builds to get it right.

Why am I calling this build an RC build?  The dead giveaway will be apparent ONLY to those that multiboot - the boot menu lacks either the Technical Preview OR Insider preview tags; it now says "Windows 10".  (Though the apropos tag DOES appear inside the OS itself.)

on a 1366x768 screen the start menu has 2 columns with little spacing between the columns, the full screen start menu and tablet mode only has one column. 

on my 1080 tablet, tablet mode has two columns. 

also Notification center is being annoying on my laptop to,so it's not just a problem with one of my devices, often especially if you haven't opened it before it refuses to open, similar to the file explorer jump list. but they really need to fix it so you can get task bar jump list bu left clicking and dragging up. 

Release Candidate builds DO glitch - Microsoft has never (as in ever) had a first RC build without glitches - it took Windows 95 six RC builds to get it right.

Why am I calling this build an RC build? The dead giveaway will be apparent ONLY to those that multiboot - the boot menu lacks either the Technical Preview OR Insider preview tags; it now says "Windows 10". (Though the apropos tag DOES appear inside the OS itself.)

I've managed software projects - nothing the size of this (obviously, or you'd be posting my Tweets here [emoji2] ). Glitches are completely normal until about the day before shipping.

on a 1366x768 screen the start menu has 2 columns with little spacing between the columns, the full screen start menu and tablet mode only has one column.

on my 1080 tablet, tablet mode has two columns.

also Notification center is being annoying on my laptop to,so it's not just a problem with one of my devices, often especially if you haven't opened it before it refuses to open, similar to the file explorer jump list. but they really need to fix it so you can get task bar jump list bu left clicking and dragging up.

The screenshot I posted was 1366x768.

It looks like Windows 10 is very much "YMMV". I got different results with upgrading my VM, than I did with upgrading my laptop. :/

Hardware (virtual in the case of VMs) composition, folks.  It's why results can differ not merely between bare metal and VMs, but even between individual VMs.  VMs are useful, but are not the be-all/end-all - far too much testing requires bare-metal.  (Even Google and Apple admit that.)

Release Candidate builds DO glitch - Microsoft has never (as in ever) had a first RC build without glitches - it took Windows 95 six RC builds to get it right.

Why am I calling this build an RC build?  The dead giveaway will be apparent ONLY to those that multiboot - the boot menu lacks either the Technical Preview OR Insider preview tags; it now says "Windows 10".  (Though the apropos tag DOES appear inside the OS itself.)

Overall though...even with glitches, desktop operation is real good...I like this build a lot... :)

Hardware (virtual in the case of VMs) composition, folks.  It's why results can differ not merely between bare metal and VMs, but even between individual VMs.  VMs are useful, but are not the be-all/end-all - far too much testing requires bare-metal.  (Even Google and Apple admit that.)

Yes...I had noticed several differences between different VM's and thought it was just mistakes I was making...decided to use only VMware withtools for all VM OS's...

Was only able to solve my problem with Chrome on this build by switching to the 32-bit version of it.  My existing 64-bit version and any reinstalls of it or even dev builds simply refused to browse anywhere.

EDIT: Of course the crappy 32-bit version of Chrome idles on a blank page with like 25% CPU usage on an i7?  Good god is it a piece of crap.  No wonder I had jumped to the 64-bit version the moment it was available.

Edge has reverted to a tiny window and every time I try to resize it, it crashes. Anyone else having this?

ANother thing, Hey Cortana isn't working anymore. I tested my mic and it's working but Hey Cortana doesn't work like it did on the previous build. And it is enabled.

There is no way to remove a sign-in PIN now. /facepalm

Whose bright idea was to remove such functionality, and why the hell would you even do that?

There is no way to remove a sign-in PIN now. /facepalm

Whose bright idea was to remove such functionality, and why the hell would you even do that?

I have given up trying to get my sign in PIN option to be visible, i tried a few suggestions but nothing works, so it is password only for me until it gets fixed!

I have three columns at 768 and four at 1080.  I still have 4 tiles across though, but you show 3?

I'm still having general issues with Modern apps and Start painting in correctly, lots of system activity at the time so not sure if its an AMD thing or something else.  AMD driver still crashes like crazy with either browser open.  New jump lists look good, but same issue there at times.

Still thinking the left edge swipe should trigger the hamburger since they went with a collapsing behavior and move the app picker edge to the top or bottom. 

This is by far the worst build for me so far i just can't do anything with regard to my user account.

1. Explorer.exe error when closing down.

2. Can't login with a 4 digit pin.

3. Can't delete my old 4 digit pin.

4. If i try option 3 from the old control panel i get a window popup asking me to re enter my password, and i do and it keeps asking me to re enter the bloody thing over and over again.

5. I wanted to verify my account on this pc and the above happens!

Guys, check the system health, I'm also experiencing some new glitches that weren't present in 10122 and 10125, and it says it's repairable. So, I'm going to do so and run sfc /scannow as well to see if I can get some stability improvements over here.

Cheers!

I think they got rid of the 3d tile animation. Can anyone verify?

Yeah, I haven't seen it. My tiles all slide up or down now. I won't miss it, either. Too much 3D.

Guys, check the system health, I'm also experiencing some new glitches that weren't present in 10122 and 10125, and it says it's repairable. So, I'm going to do so and run sfc /scannow as well to see if I can get some stability improvements over here.

Cheers!

Lets us know if it fixes any of my problems.

Yeah, I haven't seen it. My tiles all slide up or down now. I won't miss it, either. Too much 3D.

92266-Thank-God-gif-Jason-Segel-Bad-qEKw

• Like 3

I am not liking the white window titlebars, it's hard ot tell when a window is active. I hope they change it. Maybe they'll go black like the taskbar and start menu?

Also, I've lost sound in this build. When I go to control panel I see the levels active for my Playon device but my Soundblaster is set as default. I guess I may need to uninstall Playon?