[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Lets us know if it fixes any of my problems.

My scan came back with no errors.

Ok, I could successfully repair system files corruption, but the same issues are still present, especially after installing the AMD drivers for my Radeon R9 290X. For example, I still get longer than usual restart times quite often (some times I even have to force a cold reset). This happens with or without the Explorer.exe error message.

I'll keep testing.

So the beta Store is telling me i have an update for an app called PlayReady Blue.

When i check my All Apps i have no such App installed, if I search the Store i get no results?!?

Anybody else get this App Update?

I saw that one too. In fact an array of apps were successfully updated from the Beta Store.

I am not sure if it was the same, but one of mine "apps" had a Vista-style icon and it looked like the old DirectPlay DRM stuff.

It may be that. I don't remember what the icon looked like to be honest.

I still don't understand why MS killed all of the 8.1 WinRT apps. They were working perfectly. The new ones are a complete unstructured junk.

I still don't understand why MS killed all of the 8.1 WinRT apps. They were working perfectly. The new ones are a complete unstructured junk.

The old ones were apparently not universal, and did not fit in with the Windows 10 Material Design language.

New mail and calendar app is a lot better though, and I'd hardly call them anything like material design. more like an evolution of the old modern deign, but so is material so...

Windows Powershell remembers the history of commands after restarting the PC. I don't know if this is the first build where this has been added, though.

and I'd hardly call them anything like material design. more like an evolution of the old modern deign, but so is material so...

I agree that aspects of Metro live on in Windows 10 (e.g., Live Tiles) but its interface is clearly influenced by Google's design (a former Microsoft employee has admitted such).

If it were not for some minor UI differences (e.g., the title bar in the first screenshot, and the Google Play Music text in the second screenshot), I bet that one would not be able to know which application was included with Windows 10.

37535364-ad8a-4179-8555-4375ebf59a93.png

my_artists_m.0.png

I agree that aspects of Metro live on in Windows 10 (e.g., Live Tiles) but its interface is clearly influenced by Google's design (a former Microsoft employee has admitted such).

If it were not for some minor UI differences (e.g., the title bar in the first screenshot, and the Google Play Music text in the second screenshot), I bet that one would not be able to know which application was included with Windows 10.

my_artists_m.0.png

Spotify ? (both of them copied spotify.

Modern had this design language before material though. modern/metro wasn't just tiles and out of bounds typography.  look at the old mail app  or the windows 8 settings app. the thing they borrowed from android is the hamburger menu. but then that wasn't without precedent in other places. 

my_artists_m.0.png

Looks more like Spotify than Google Play.

With Windows 10 starting to feel real, and the release is upon us..

I have a little question, i have a PC that came out with 7 Home Basic. I installed Windows 8.1 (Not Original) over it, there is the CoA but some letters and numbers are missing. If i install Windows 7 Home Basic, can i recover my key and procced with the upgrade?

Start Menu not loading now. Time to go back to my Windows 8 Install.

try playing around with the option in settings>personalization>start

when I turned off some of the options there my start menu disappeared, when I turned them on again start menu/screen worked again

my_artists_m.0.png

During this whole development process, Microsoft has had such a hard on for Android, I feel they've lost sight of their innovative selves. Lumia has slid into oblivion, Metro was all but killed off, and touch on Windows is a shadow of its former self, etc. Aside from Cortana, there is NOTHING on Windows 10 that is at all competitive or innovative that would put the product above the competition. Nothing. It's literally Android in Windows form. And I feel that will lead to another major earthquake at Microsoft.

I'm sorry, Microsoft, but if I wanted Android I would have bought an Android device. I bought Windows because I truly expected an innovative platform, but all you've done is regressed the platform, and ran in fear. You ran the innovators out of Microsoft and replaced them with Google wannabes. Congratulations. I hope those Hamburgers serve you well.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, Microsoft, but if I wanted Android I would have bought an Android device. I bought Windows because I truly expected an innovative platform, but all you've done is regressed the platform, and ran in fear. You ran the innovators out of Microsoft and replaced them with Google wannabes. Congratulations. I hope those Hamburgers serve you well.

You know I was just thinking along similar lines. Windows Media division used to be very innovative with codecs, media player, and Zune. Then there was a feature rich Windows Live Photo Gallery which brought us facial recognition tags, basic editing features, etc. Yet not a single one of these new apps are in the same league. Photos is probably the worst of them all. Something happened that has driven out the innovation.

Looks like bigmuscle is working on a DLL hack that will allow the titlebar color in Win32 programs to be changed. Thank goodness. 

"Experimental debug DLL to remove grey titlebar"

my_artists_m.0.png

That employe never said they where influenced by Android. He said that the hamburger menu was a good idea and he took Android as an example, the hamburger menu is used everywhere, not just in Android. Secondly, this new Music app on Windows is just a recolored version of what has been in Windows since 2013, except for the round images, Google hasn't had this design for that long.

There's only so many ways a music player can look you know, open any of them and they're going to share things, the same works for other software in general.

Who cares who copied who or if something looks like something else?  If it works, and works well that's all that's important.

my_artists_m.0.png

Google's had that design for Play Music for about 2 weeks now. I'm pretty sure (Xbox) Music wasn't copied, designed and made into a Windows 10 app in the last 2 weeks.

I spoke with team developers windows 10 and they said they don't know how to put some color to titlebar and how to correctly align buttons in explorer and win32 aps..

@Aldey: just send it to them, I hope they'll fix it

I spoke with team developers windows 10 and they said they don't know how to put some color to titlebar and how to correctly align buttons in explorer and win32 aps..

I did, but just to share with everyone about the bugs, don't wanna keep it myself you know :)

About the title bar, it's weird that they said that since Windows 7 and Windows 8 managed to do that, i mean at least some win32 or universal app with standard title bar can be tweaked by them, and besides, they're Tech Pro, i'm sure they do know how since Windows are their baby.

So, anyone else run into the Mail app requiring your drives to be encrypted in order to sync to an Exchange server? Any way around this?

is it a work exchange server ? if so it might be that your work exchange server send requirements for security on your BYOD and that your computers counts as that. when I added my work mail on my phone a couple of years ago, it required added security and stuff n the phone.

So, anyone else run into the Mail app requiring your drives to be encrypted in order to sync to an Exchange server? Any way around this?

I think it's a bug. Even if you encrypt your drive emails still don't work. The enforcement policy also suggests to use a local admin account and a strong password. Picture password also must be disabled. And still even after this emails won't come through!

I've filed this as a bug and others have too.