[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

With Windows 10 starting to feel real, and the release is upon us..

I have a little question, i have a PC that came out with 7 Home Basic. I installed Windows 8.1 (Not Original) over it, there is the CoA but some letters and numbers are missing. If i install Windows 7 Home Basic, can i recover my key and procced with the upgrade?

If 7 will pick up the preset key in the BIOS/UEFI (which is what SLIC is for), then 10 will pick up the same thing - however, I'm NOT sure if the installed OS must match the SLIC (you may be able to keep 8.1 in place, despite the SLIC mismatch).  I have a custom SLIC in my BIOS that matches my (old) 7 CD key (this motherboard originally was bought FOR use with 7).  However, I took advantage of the small free upgrade window that applied to 8 (from 7).  I may therefore have many ways of skinning the meow.

I tried my regular speakers in my Sounblaster and also USB speakers and no sound at all. Anyone having sound problems with this build?

My biggest issue in this build is that the new video app crashes when I try to go full screen. The same happens with videos in Spartan, but only the tab crashes.

That employe never said they where influenced by Android. He said that the hamburger menu was a good idea and he took Android as an example, the hamburger menu is used everywhere, not just in Android. Secondly, this new Music app on Windows is just a recolored version of what has been in Windows since 2013, except for the round images, Google hasn't had this design for that long.

I did, of course, paraphrase what the former employee actually said; however, to have an influence on something means to "[. . .] have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself," which is exactly what Android did, according to what was stated.

Emphasis mine.

And then you notice the top left corner. And you think "Well, tons of Android apps just put everything there. Maybe we could try that?"

And so it became clear, due to the massive number of features in Office apps, and the extremely tight real estate, and alignment with tablets, that a hamburger was the best overall pattern.

Trying to use Windows 10 as a daily driver, but just can't. It's in many ways still inferior to Windows 8.1.

I still don't understand Microsoft's rational for destroying the superior (user configurable) Win8.1 All Apps UX - 

post-420821-0-54566400-1433105900.png

- for this:

post-420821-0-12694000-1433105872.png

Or how the Office team thought this:

post-420821-0-85976500-1433105909.png

Would be better than this:

post-420821-0-32068100-1433105918.png

My biggest issue in this build is that the new video app crashes when I try to go full screen. The same happens with videos in Spartan, but only the tab crashes.

That sort of happens when I have NVidia's Shadowplay enabled. Disabling it fixed it, so all of that was reverted.

I tried my regular speakers in my Sounblaster and also USB speakers and no sound at all. Anyone having sound problems with this build?

Set the sample rate down to 16bit 44100khz in speaker properties

That sort of happens when I have NVidia's Shadowplay enabled. Disabling it fixed it, so all of that was reverted.

I have an AMD GPU, so that's not it for me.

In that case, ti could be anything that hooks into the display renderer itself. Like a screen capturing tool, or something similar.

Although which driver are you using? The Windows 10 one from Windows Update?

Trying to use Windows 10 as a daily driver, but just can't. It's in many ways still inferior to Windows 8.1.

I still don't understand Microsoft's rational for destroying the superior (user configurable) Win8.1 All Apps UX - 

attachicon.gifScreenshot (302).png

- for this:

attachicon.gifScreenshot (94).png

Or how the Office team thought this:

attachicon.gifScreenshot (95).png

Would be better than this:

attachicon.gifScreenshot (332).png

I'll update my little Intel NUC, which functions as my media pc.

Not so sure about my laptop though. I would be missing much of the same features you just touched on.

On top of that I really would miss full screen browsing and the left/right swipe in Modern IE 11

3 columns on the start screen on 768 ?  Are you sure about that ? the size of my tiles I don't think I could fit 3 columns even if they removed the left and right side padding and the spacing inbetween . 

Me people app is broken again, for me, was broken on last build as well and I just didn't care about fixing it, I did it once on the first build that broke all 3 apps, but I don't really use people and I don't feel like doing all that crap. 

Per the sshot Fahim posted on page 357.  I'll confirm tomorrow, but using 3x3 setup its a nice fit.  I do wonder what happens to that last column when All Apps is expanded.  When you drag the Start window, it does auto-arrange 3by so I'll wager that will be the standard size to provide the extra columns.  I think I prefer the fatter column and give the extra padding to All Apps.

So has anybody found out why some users have 3 tiles in a row and some have four?

Here is the odd part.  On a new local account, I only can place them three tiles across.  On an Live account that's been upgraded since release, it still uses four tiles across.  I wonder what the deal with visibility of the Taskbar is.  It should show by default unless Tablet mode is enabled (visible for Show full Start in settings).

All Apps is worlds better now across devices including touch, so is OneNote.  Novel, yes.  Superior, quite debatable.

From the local (3x4@1080):

post-5317-0-69286700-1433132696.png

Upgraded/Live (4x3@1080)

post-5317-0-23021900-1433133075.png

How often does one need to use the "All Apps" thing though? You pin whatever you want to start/taskbar once after system/app installation and you are golden. I think you are worrying too much about All Apps. I don't think either one is particularly better than the other.

24zj50j.jpg

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. 

I'd really like you to count how long you spend in all apps to see if it warrants this sort of moaning. My guess is, not.

• Like 2

Any news about a Windows 10-type Skype app being cooked up? I keep seeing a new Skype icon on the taskbar in the new Windows videos, doesn't seem to be the Windows 8.1 or the latest Windows desktop one either. 

24zj50j.jpg

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. 

I am running Windows 10 preview, do i have to put Windows 8.1 back on to get it free? hopefully i won't.

I am running Windows 10 preview, do i have to put Windows 8.1 back on to get it free? hopefully i won't.

Upgrade to the final 10 build and then use the 8.1 key to activate?

Upgrade to the final 10 build and then use the 8.1 key to activate?

Well that is my plan but i would like to reserve my copy like everyone else of Windows 7 and 8.1.

Would be nice to get 10134 or something newer this week, heck, I expect new builds to come quite often till July 29th.  My VM is still on the leaked 10125 though, anyone upgrade from that to 10130 or can't you?

Did you have problems with updating the AMD High Definition Audio driver?  I did, (notebook with MR HD4K series) so I wound up installing it separately (install requires a reboot).  That solved the notebook's audio woes, too. 

Consider a driver reversion - I have a Recon3D in my desktop and while it was detected, I get no audio.  I had a similar issue with the AMD HD Audio in the newer notebook (and a driver update sent via WU had issues installing) - I wound up downloading/installing it from AMD to fix the woes on the notebook.

I kind of wish they didn't scale everything uniformally in touch mode.

for my taskbar to be really usable on my 11 inch full hd tablet, I need to run the scaling at the recommended 150%(yes it  does say recommended). But that also scaled up the already big enough start screen tiles, into ludicrous size and I only get two columns instead of 3 which I get at 100% scaling with the taskbar much to small for finger friendliness and not to mention any window controls. 

This was actually better in 81 where the start screen had it's own scaling.