[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I am running Windows 10 preview, do i have to put Windows 8.1 back on to get it free? hopefully i won't.

No.  You are on Windows 10 already.. but it will be upgraded to GA/RTM for free ...  (unless I am wrong.)

But if you are on Windows 7 or 8, then you have a plenty of time to get a free Windows 10 upgrade offer before July 29, 2016.

After July 2016, you will pay for a copy of Windows.   (Home edition is $100, Pro edition is $150)...

Note, I know the price is a bit off but I couldn't remember how much they were excatly... Not in mood to look it up.

Set the sample rate down to 16bit 44100khz in speaker properties

That didn't solve it. I had to change from 5.1 to stereo and it worked. The USB speakers wouldn't work no matter what sample rate I tried.

Consider a driver reversion - I have a Recon3D in my desktop and while it was detected, I get no audio.  I had a similar issue with the AMD HD Audio in the newer notebook (and a driver update sent via WU had issues installing) - I wound up downloading/installing it from AMD to fix the woes on the notebook.

That's the same sound card that I have. I tried installing their drivers but it didn't fix anything.

No.  You are on Windows 10 already.. but it will be upgraded to GA/RTM for free ...  (unless I am wrong.)

But if you are on Windows 7 or 8, then you have a plenty of time to get a free Windows 10 upgrade offer before July 29, 2016.

After July 2016, you will pay for a copy of Windows.   (Home edition is $100, Pro edition is $150)...

Note, I know the price is a bit off but I couldn't remember how much they were excatly... Not in mood to look it up.

My problem is i own 8.1 Pro, so i don't expect to be given the Pro version while running the Preview without having to enter my key?

I had a strange question...If I upgrade my Win7 or Win8.1 to Win10, I assume it's product key is used. That being said, would I be able to use my ie: Win8 disc to set up another machine with Win8 to use. This situation would give 2 different OS's with same key on 2 machines...? It would appear I may loose my older system key to the newer OS.

Edit..The reason being is I would like my main system to multiboot Win7, Win8.1 and Win 10 due to legacy programs where I need the first 2 for sure...I may have to purchase Win10, which I would...if one of my keys is disabled for the lower OS...(running fresh Win10 with upgrades) Thanks... :(

My problem is i own 8.1 Pro, so i don't expect to be given the Pro version while running the Preview without having to enter my key?

Your key is stored in your system (before you installed the preview)... The installation will take care of it.

The reservation window is probably detect your system and send the log on your system and it will be ready when the Windows 10 comes for you to get free offer... that's my guess.

Or you have the key stand by in case it ask you for a key and enter it at the time you get the Windows 10 installation.

Go ask Gabe Aul on Twitter and see what he says about upgrade to GA from preview... to see if he says it will be free or not. 

Yeah, still not sure on whether Insiders on a fresh machine/install get upgraded from the insider pro versions to Home or Pro. Haven't seen anything anywhere being precise about that point.

Your key is stored in your system (before you installed the preview)... The installation will take care of it.

The reservation window is probably detect your system and send the log on your system and it will be ready when the Windows 10 comes for you to get free offer... that's my guess.

Or you have the key stand by in case it ask you for a key and enter it at the time you get the Windows 10 installation.

Go ask Gabe Aul on Twitter and see what he says about upgrade to GA from preview... to see if he says it will be free or not. 

I did a clean install of Windows 10 though, so i am guessing it won't know my key?

I did a clean install of Windows 10 though, so i am guessing it won't know my key?

Like I said, See Gabe Aul about it for sure.    I guess you will use the preview key for that... 

The posts above before this are my guess.... 

Upgrade to the final 10 build and then use the 8.1 key to activate?

Windows 10 Preview will be upgraded to the final at release.

• Like 1

Any other AMD users that suffer with blank/drawin issues with Start notice that right clicking the taskbar before activation helps?  I keep thinking there is something in the display settings that could be disabled/enabled to fix the wonkiness with modern apps. 

Any other AMD users that suffer with blank/drawin issues with Start notice that right clicking the taskbar before activation helps? I keep thinking there is something in the display settings that could be disabled/enabled to fix the wonkiness with modern apps.

I've got a Radeon R9 290X and I've been suffering from a plethora of issues with the latest builds.

For example, graphic glitches in the Start Menu, sometimes it looks good, sometimes it goes completely black and when I hover the pointer over, it shows part of its content, though corrupted, and sometimes it looks white with only a couple of tiles there.

Mind it, I'm talking about a clean install of build 10130.

Damn, even the drivers for my card were withdrawn from Windows Update, mind it.

Holy cow, just reset my Win 10 machine.... Wow, what a world of difference. My start screen actually works, and my live tiles actually update!

• Like 2

I'd really like you to count how long you spend in all apps to see if it warrants this sort of moaning. My guess is, not.

Probably about as much as all the people who complained about the absence of the Menu actually spent using it. His complaint is just as legitimate as the Menu complaints.

Probably about as much as all the people who complained about the absence of the Menu actually spent using it. His complaint is just as legitimate as the Menu complaints.

So pretty pointless then yeah?

So pretty pointless then yeah?

Not if you care about that particular feature. Who are you to decide whether someone uses a particular feature "often enough" for it to matter?

Not if you care about that particular feature. Who are you to decide whether someone uses a particular feature "often enough" for it to matter?

Did i forget to mention i was god? Damn it, i always forget that bit.

Did i forget to mention i was god? Damn it, i always forget that bit.

How can you forget that? You're supposed to be omniscient! :laugh:

How can you forget that? You're supposed to be omniscient! :laugh:

Oh.. ummm... i think you got me! :p

With regards to what you actually brought up, it's not that i mind that someone has an opinion on something, it's when it's repeated over and over and over. I honestly agree with a lot of what Dot says, but i do think  a lot of the posts lately he's spent time writing than actually using the said things the complaints are against.

But i take your point, i am not the person to judge this.

Oh.. ummm... i think you got me! :p

With regards to what you actually brought up, it's not that i mind that someone has an opinion on something, it's when it's repeated over and over and over. I honestly agree with a lot of what Dot says, but i do think  a lot of the posts lately he's spent time writing than actually using the said things the complaints are against.

But i take your point, i am not the person to judge this.

I always thought the complaints over the Menu being gone were overblown but then I loathe the Menu. But that doesn't mean it wasn't important to the people who wanted it back (and many would still prefer a more traditional Menu).

Personally, I'm annoyed at the lack of a "proper" 8-style Start Screen, including the lack of a full-screen All Apps.

• Like 2

Holy cow, just reset my Win 10 machine.... Wow, what a world of difference. My start screen actually works, and my live tiles actually update!

well at least that makes one of us.... Clean install of latest ISO, upgrade to 10130 nothing works right... reset the install... even more errors all ms-setting:// path errors or something similar... start menu I can click on items it just does nothing like I never clicked...

Anyone else having Cortana voice search not working at all in this build? I can't do it manually or by "Hey Cortana".

• Like 1

People's over-reactions throughout the TECHNICAL PREVIEW, and the CONSUMER PREVIEW have been hilarious. There are a lot of arm-chair programmers who "know there stuff" when it comes to building an Operating System. Personally, I think the OS is shaping up rather well and has gotten better as time progressed. Quite a few people have eaten crow as new builds are exposed, which is damn near weekly. How about this, instead of critisizing an unfinished product, how about you wait until it's done and provide feedback on the proper channels. If your feedback is not voted for, well then I'm sorry, but you are not speaking for the majority.

• Like 3

Anyone else having Cortana voice search not working at all in this build? I can't do it manually or by "Hey Cortana".

Yeah, same over here with build 10130. I got it running by creating another user account (I used my secondary Hotmail account), signed-in and Cortana's speech recognition began to work as expected.

People's over-reactions throughout the TECHNICAL PREVIEW, and the CONSUMER PREVIEW have been hilarious. There are a lot of arm-chair programmers who "know there stuff" when it comes to building an Operating System. Personally, I think the OS is shaping up rather well and has gotten better as time progressed. Quite a few people have eaten crow as new builds are exposed, which is damn near weekly. How about this, instead of critisizing an unfinished product, how about you wait until it's done and provide feedback on the proper channels. If your feedback is not voted for, well then I'm sorry, but you are not speaking for the majority.

Windows 10 is LAUNCHING on JULY 29! They are no longer adding ANY NEW FEATURES.