[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Windows 10 is LAUNCHING on JULY 29! They are no longer adding ANY NEW FEATURES.

IIRC Redstone proves otherwise.  Maybe they aren't for the launch window, but it'll still keep evolving.

Sure, but you're not going to be getting any Redstone builds until after 10 RTMs, at least not through the Insider program.

Windows 10 is like Microsoft said "Eh, good enough", and then quit...

Now you are just moaning.

Every software development project requires making massive compromises, hedging your bets as to what is important. It's a zero sum game.

This was certainly going to be a case in a project that had the ambitions of Windows 8. Bringing the Modern app framework to the desktop in itself is a massive undertaking.

Nobody is forcing you to upgrade. If you don't like 10, stick with 8.1 for now and upgrade when a version comes out that is suitable for you.

• Like 2

IIRC Redstone proves otherwise.  Maybe they aren't for the launch window, but it'll still keep evolving.

You can't just release something half done and say you'll update it later.

You can't just release something half done and say you'll update it later.

Not sure what you consider missing?

It is functionally complete - not quite as polished as it could be, but functionally complete.

Any news about a Windows 10-type Skype app being cooked up? I keep seeing a new Skype icon on the taskbar in the new Windows videos, doesn't seem to be the Windows 8.1 or the latest Windows desktop one either. 

They are making 'Messenger' but it wont be available at RTM. Probably more closer to October. They had a screenshot/concept about 4-5 pages back

That is becoming more and more clear. The confirmation of a release in July pretty much cemented that. 

Deadlines are extremely moronic for software. "It's done when it's done" is a much more pragmatic approach. 

Deadlines are extremely moronic for software. "It's done when it's done" is a much more pragmatic approach. 

That approach is less than perfect when you have a piece of software with as many different contributing branches as Windows, not to mention the marketing and other departments that need to schedule events months ahead of time.

This is why I actually prefer the subscription model. There is far less "rush to meet production deadlines" involved and more addition of features when they work.

I reserved my 2 copies of Windows 10 Pro which I am happy about.  However, seeing that the icon in the task tray wouldn't go away until I uninstalled an update - made me think "Geez, they cant even config an update correctly... how bad is this Win10 gonna be ?  (mind you I have had repeated issues with Spartan)

But - I will install as soon as I get it - but will keep my Win7 keys nearby for a while.

The metamorphosis to Andrea Boreman windows 8.1 edition is almost complete, I see.

You can hide it easily enough by changing the notification area options to only show updates for it.

It is more aimed at people who don't know what version of Windows they are using and setting up a proper schedule for pre-loading.

Has someone successfully disabled Cortana/Internet results via Group Policy Editor? Despite of settings, I'm still getting these in panel.

Also, has anyone a clue why upgrade adds another partition labeled as OEM when the one with bootmanager is already present?

I really hope they give us the option of changing titlebar color again in Win32 programs.

I may have to modify the Themes service using OllyDbg to make it parse and follow the registry setting in regard to titlebar color come RTM. Not looking forward to that. Hopefully a third party skin will come out that restores centered text in titlebars and has white text on black background. I cannot stand these bright white titlebars. Its even worse than gray. Why the hell don't they let the user choose the color? 

This frankly is a really tricky area.  If they (MS) give you anything less than an API to work with on this, people will jump on that not-super-optimum solution and then you have horrible app compat issues to deal with.  I'd suspect the right people are hyper-aware of concerns in this area and enjoy when feedback on this is put into the various feedback loops so that management feels that this is an area worth doing right-er.

I spoke with team developers windows 10 and they said they don't know how to put some color to titlebar and how to correctly align buttons in explorer and win32 aps..

Who did you talk with how?  That seems like made-up nonsense.  Both those tasks, like almost any software development task, would just require time and effort.  As far as I know, that kind of thing is directed by management, so feedback on those and other areas of concern would seem to be useful.

Shaping up to be a great release!

My only annoyance is that I have the taskbar on my secondary display, but the flyout for the notification area still opens up on my main display. The only "fix" is to make my secondary into my primary, but then all games will launch on the wrong display. 

Oh bother..

My only annoyance is that I have the taskbar on my secondary display, but the flyout for the notification area still opens up on my main display. The only "fix" is to make my secondary into my primary, but then all games will launch on the wrong display. 

Oh bother..

Wouldn't that be by design?  Or do you mean you only have a taskbar on the second monitor and not the main one?  I figured if I have a multiple monitor setup, something important like the action center, would show up on my primary/main display and not all the way to the left or right screen.

Oh bother..

ummm, or you could just drag the main taskbar to the secondary monitor so you get the systray on that monitor...

ummm, or you could just drag the main taskbar to the secondary monitor so you get the systray on that monitor...

Thats what I have done, the systray is on the secondary, but the notification flyout still opens on the primary, even though the primary has no taskbar anymore.

Like I tried to hint, it's not the biggest of issues, just one of my few "hm, this should be different" moments.

Stop overreacting. They still have almost two months left to polish Win10 for RTM.

• Like 1

Thats what I have done, the systray is on the secondary, but the notification flyout still opens on the primary, even though the primary has no taskbar anymore.

Like I tried to hint, it's not the biggest of issues, just one of my few "hm, this should be different" moments.

hmmm toasts should follow the systray/main taskbar.

might be a result of the rewrite of the taskbar for 10130. not sure many have noticed but it seems they redid the taskbar the same way the redid the start menu with xaml. as 130 introduced new behavior and bugs with the taskbar that wasn't there before. 

I've seen so many people complaining about Windows 8 and it worked fine at a last.

Let's wait for July to come.

especially after 8.1 update

I've seen so many people complaining about Windows 8 and it worked fine at a last.

Let's wait for July to come.

8.1 update + following updates made it awesome :D

Stop overreacting. They still have almost two months left to polish Win10 for RTM.

Gave Aul has said bug fixes from here on out. I just don't see much changing in the next two months.m, which is worrying at best.

Windows 10 seems destined to ship in a broken and incomplete state.

Here's a dumb question. Since I am on Windows 10 TP, do I have to or do I even need to reserve the full Windows 10 upgrade? I'm not sure if I will get my free upgrade license key automatically or what.