[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Here's a dumb question. Since I am on Windows 10 TP, do I have to or do I even need to reserve the full Windows 10 upgrade? I'm not sure if I will get my free upgrade license key automatically or what.

It isn't a dumb question.

No one really knows. What we know is that Win 10 TP users can upgrade to the final version. (As far as I understood)

As far as keys goes .. no one really knows right now.

Here's a dumb question. Since I am on Windows 10 TP, do I have to or do I even need to reserve the full Windows 10 upgrade? I'm not sure if I will get my free upgrade license key automatically or what.

I remember reading that we can go straight from Preview to final but we need a legit win7 or win8. I'm sure Microsoft will also release something similar to what win7 and win8 are receieving right now with a popup. Silly considering millions are using preview right now.

Gave Aul has said bug fixes from here on out. I just don't see much changing in the next two months.m, which is worrying at best.

Windows 10 seems destined to ship in a broken and incomplete state.

How much sense does it make for them to finish all the features and fix all the bugs, and then sit on their hands for two months before releasing it? Does that sound like a waste of time to you?

You don't need to do anything, although not sure what version that will be, so i will likely put my Win 8.1 key in to turn it into a Pro version if it lets me.

@GabeAul Now that Windows 7 and 8.1 users can reserve their copies of Win10 how do Win 10 insiders reserve theirs?

@Snoopzster No need, you were first in line the moment you installed your preview build.

The metamorphosis to Andrea Boreman windows 8.1 edition is almost complete, I see.

Whenever that name gets mentioned, children run away screaming, animals head for the hills, and there is great nashing of teeth.  In certain cultures, their are evil gods whose names are never uttered by the locals, for fear that they may return and inflict pain and torture upon them.  A.B. should be regarded in the same light.  Please, please, don't release the Kraken!

I've noticed in the most recent build, none of my settings in Spartan are saved.  When I close my browser and reopen it, all the stupid links to Places like Flicker and Facebook are back, and it's no longer snagging my Favorites bar from IE like it used to.  

Whenever that name gets mentioned, children run away screaming, animals head for the hills, and there is great nashing of teeth.  In certain cultures, their are evil gods whose names are never uttered by the locals, for fear that they may return and inflict pain and torture upon them.  A.B. should be regarded in the same light.  Please, please, don't release the Kraken!

Just for you: One of her classics. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INhlHaIftNg

• Like 2

2 months of bug fixing and polishing, you'll see graphical polish/updates, but no new features till either the fall update or next year with redstone.  That's enough time to work out the issues, specially with these many testers and less code being in flux from here on out. 

Not if you care about that particular feature. Who are you to decide whether someone uses a particular feature "often enough" for it to matter?

Frequency is pretty vital to the equation.  Many are skeptical that you use the All Apps menu 1/100th as much as they used the Start Menu. 

Its easily more done than Win8 was prior to its .1 update.

~

You don't need to do anything, although not sure what version that will be, so i will likely put my Win 8.1 key in to turn it into a Pro version if it lets me.

@GabeAul Now that Windows 7 and 8.1 users can reserve their copies of Win10 how do Win 10 insiders reserve theirs?

@Snoopzster No need, you were first in line the moment you installed your preview build.

OK thx. I guess the only thing nobody knows yet is how we get our license key.

Frequency is pretty vital to the equation.  Many are skeptical that you use the All Apps menu 1/100th as much as they used the Start Menu. 

Its easily more done than Win8 was prior to its .1 update.

Just as I'm skeptical that a lot of people used the Menu as often as they claimed. Many just use desktop links or pinned items. I've seen far too many desktops with literally every inch of the screen covered in icons. Personally I'd rather use the organization tools in the Screen, or even the Menu :x , over just dumping everything on the desktop, but a lot of people seem to like that.

Me, I use the main part of the Screen for my most frequent items, and All Apps for the rest I do use All Apps at least a couple times a day, and would really prefer the 8.x layout.

Windows 10 is LAUNCHING on JULY 29! They are no longer adding ANY NEW FEATURES.

Yes they are adding more new features....  Read the damn articles.

Research first before you spill crap.

They said they keep the feedback in the build... and they plan to add more new features after release.

Not believe me, look it up and read.

The only things that bother me about Windows 10 are these:

- That anoying 1px width line next to the clock

- The fact that there are so many grey-ish colors to choose from, and just 4 green-ish colors, of which none is actually (light) green, the color selection needs a color slider

- The automatic color option doesn't work

- The settings-logo is inconsitent all over the place (different version in tile, in app and in start menu)

- Search bar doesn't work if taskbar is on top of the screen, because reasons

I hope they get these small anoyances in the main OS fixed, then there is still some work on apps, but that can get fixed in app updates. But beyond that, I'm fine with Windows 10.

Yes they are adding more new features.... Read the damn articles.

The "crap" he spills is correct trough. Gabriel confirmed that we wouldn't see any (major) new features in coming builds (which is what he's talking about), but I get the confussion, he didn't mean Windows 10 overall, just the RTM. That is if I got his post right.

Yes they are adding more new features....  Read the damn articles.

They said they keep the feedback in the build... and they plan to add more new features after release.

Not believe me, look it up and read.

Is it really so hard to try and read between the lines?

From now until 29th of July there will be nor more features added.

I'm pretty sure on this site we are all aware that there are more features coming in the future.

No need to be such an ass about it

~

OK thx. I guess the only thing nobody knows yet is how we get our license key.

Gabe said Insiders can upgrade to RTM when release.  Then you have the new key stored in the machine after the upgrade... so you are able to do the clean install after upgrade. No need the keys...  Installer will detect it then go from there.

Is it really so hard to try and read between the lines?

From now until 29th of July there will be nor more features added.

I'm pretty sure on this site we are all aware that there are more features coming in the future.

No need to be such an ass about it

Well excuse me..   but the updates/bugfixes will still come in.. but features will come in afterwards.

It sounded like the key will be linked/stored in the Store app, I figure if you want to get it you will go through the app to find it, which also means they'd probably want you to login with your MS account.  But maybe that's just for those of us who use Windows with a MS account and not a local one.

Either way, the key will be stored on the system and you'll be able to get it post upgrade for sure, only question after that is if you can get it BEFORE the upgrade starts, much like was the case with the Windows 8.1 upgrade process.

For those who want to do a clean install, the upgrade does let you do one, the process asks what you want to keep, just pick nothing, then it's doing a clean install anyways.   I personally don't fear the upgrade process, at least when it's the RTM version, Since Windows 7, iirc, the "upgrade" process is actually a clean install followed by a migration of your settings/data and apps post install.   It's not the old Windows 9x and XP type upgrade where it's just going in and replacing files.

- The settings-logo is inconsistent all over the place (different version in tile, in app and in start menu)

And the same problem applies to the hamburger icon, context menus, and the color/transparency with the Task Bar pop-ups. I know it's in beta, but I still want to point out the problem because I don't know what is or is not considered done.

Gabe said Insiders can upgrade to RTM when release.  Then you have the new key stored in the machine after the upgrade... so you are able to do the clean install after upgrade. No need the keys...  Installer will detect it then go from there.

Well excuse me..   but the updates/bugfixes will still come in.. but features will come in afterwards.

Hmm interesting. I wonder how it "stores" they key? If I wipe my hard drive and do a clean install, where is it getting my key from? Insiders don't get a special installer with the key embedded do they? I imagine that would be pirated beyond belief.

Maybe it gets stored with information of our UEFI systems for those of us with it. Or maybe it's a combination of hardware detection and Microsoft account. We'll see.

Hmm interesting. I wonder how it "stores" they key? If I wipe my hard drive and do a clean install, where is it getting my key from? Insiders don't get a special installer with the key embedded do they? I imagine that would be pirated beyond belief.

I have no idea where but I don't think it will be stored in HDD but I think it will be in somewhere on your system.  I think BIOS or something...

I am sure the key is stored on HDD for system info lookups. ... Right now, you have a preview key...

Me, I use the main part of the Screen for my most frequent items, and All Apps for the rest I do use All Apps at least a couple times a day, and would really prefer the 8.x layout.

So, why do you not have an item you access at least a couple times a day pinned?  Particularly as a 'fan' of the full screen mode?

All Apps is faster and more efficient in 10 than Win8.1 hands down.

So, why do you not have an item you access at least a couple times a day pinned?  Particularly as a 'fan' of the full screen mode?

All Apps is faster and more efficient in 10 than Win8.1 hands down.

What makes you think it's the same item every time?

If you like non-stop scrolling, maybe. I find the 8.1 layout far more efficient. I'd rather search with my eyes than my scroll wheel.

• Like 2

The only things that bother me about Windows 10 are these:

- That anoying 1px width line next to the clock

That's the show desktop button there

• Like 2

I've seen so many people complaining about Windows 8 and it worked fine at a last.

Imho seeing how effortless Windows 10 is to use in comparison (even though far from perfect at this point) despite remnants of the Metro/Win32 dichotomy illustrates in retrospect just how annoying Windows 8 was to use. They're now years into (and far from finished) into fixing Windows 8 which should probably never have gotten into customers' hands.

That's the show desktop button there

And it gets smaller and smaller with every version of Windows. Soon the button will just be 1 px wide.  :p