[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

question: can we get someone to create custom made 3d icons of the likes of Vista or 7? the icons are horrid. :x  barf o' rama

There will probably be many icon sets made when the RTM is released.

fix ?

are you referring to the FB connect dropping from outlook and such ? there's no relationship to fix, it's just MS needs to switch from old deprecated API's to the new API's. 

From what I understand is that there are no more API's to use, but I might be wrong.

The way WP gets the info is through a connection to the FB app. so that's why it is unaffected by this.

So the only way to resolve this is if FB writes a universal app that MS can link into.

This is my understanding so far. If I'm wrong and you have a better explanation, please educate me.

I worry about this because I really enjoy the connection between the two!

fix ?

are you referring to the FB connect dropping from outlook and such ? there's no relationship to fix, it's just MS needs to switch from old deprecated API's to the new API's. 

There is no new API to use as per MS.

From what I understand is that there are no more API's to use, but I might be wrong.

The way WP gets the info is through a connection to the FB app. so that's why it is unaffected by this.

So the only way to resolve this is if FB writes a universal app that MS can link into.

This is my understanding so far. If I'm wrong and you have a better explanation, please educate me.

I worry about this because I really enjoy the connection between the two!

You're right, there is no API, FB killed it, but this effects everything out there that used it, not just MS' stuff.  FB wants everyone to use their apps, nothing else.  It's like twitter killing 3rd party twitter clients and so on.  It's a shame but that's the way the market has gone right now, use our apps or don't use it at all, etc.

A universal app could, like the one on WP8.1 right now, sync with your PC, so technically it'll pass on info, it already does this, like to your calendar and so on.  So I think through the app we'll get a good bit, maybe not all, of the functionality back.

I want to punch a baby every time an idiot calls WinRT a crap platform to develop for. We went through this in the early 00s when .NET started to get some traction, and was crapped upon how .NET apps were terrible compared to native apps.

Are we going to go through all of this crapfest again?

It realy doesn't matter wheter or not he missed that post, the Camera roll library is new in Windows 10, it isn't there in Windows 8 and 8.1. I've got a 8.1 installation here, OneDrive synced with pictures from my Phone, no Camera roll library.

Actually, if you install or update 8.1 with the latest version of OneDrive, Camera Roll shows up.  (I reinstalled 8.1 Pro due to the VirtualBox issue - 10 remains my main OS.)  That makes it a OneDrive feature.

I want to punch a baby every time an idiot calls WinRT a crap platform to develop for. We went through this in the early 00s when .NET started to get some traction, and was crapped upon how .NET apps were terrible compared to native apps.

Are we going to go through all of this crapfest again?

Some people will never change, WinRT has come a long way since it's first outing in Win8.0.  There's quite a bit of overlap with Win32 now, so WinRT apps can use a chunk of Win32 and vice versa.  The only thing, in a sense, that held WinRT apps behind was the whole Windows 8 issue and to a lesser degree, IMO, the fact they had to be full screen apps with specific UIs (app bar).  

The only thing stopping advanced, beefy, WinRT apps from coming out is development time, but when Windows 10 has a large enough share that the store gets more interest then those will all come in time.

The Start > Search (i.e. open Start and just start typing) is broke for me in this newest fast ring build using my SP3. You start typing and nothing filters down; it's just what you typed in the box and nothing else. I did not see this in the known bugs. Anyone else seeing it, specifically on a SP3? 

The only thing stopping advanced, beefy, WinRT apps from coming out is development time

And that is exactly what it is. If you don't mess with system stuff, there is 0 reason to use old, blocking APIs. The new async and fluid and just beautiful way of doing things is the way forward.

I have a whole bunch of updates queued behind an update titled:

Lang Pack (Language Feature TTS) Feature on Demand for X64 [en-US]

The thing has been downloading for a number of days, or at least saying it has been.  Still at 1%.

Anyone have any idea about what I can do about this?

I have a whole bunch of updates queued behind an update titled:

Lang Pack (Language Feature TTS) Feature on Demand for X64 [en-US]

The thing has been downloading for a number of days, or at least saying it has been.  Still at 1%.

Anyone have any idea about what I can do about this?

Got this sorted. Had to a clean boot so the update could download and install, which was a complete faff!

So now input boxes on Neowin are gone completely. Spartan has been giving me an awful lot of issues in this build.

So now input boxes on Neowin are gone completely. Spartan has been giving me an awful lot of issues in this build.

it's just trying to be edgy. :p

by the way, clean installed the 10130 build after having issues with upgrade downloading. now the flyout bug is driving me nuts and most of the problems I had (some apps won't install from Store beta and even though they do with regular Store, in-app purchases/features are broken) still remain. Only thing I got in the end is just 'nicer icons'. Oh well.

Microsoft moving backwards with Skype is causing them a nice black eye on the internet tonight.

"Mobile first, cloud first" my ***. I'm getting really fed up. Either they want universal apps, or they don't. Windows 10 will be a crap shoot at launch.

Microsoft moving backwards with Skype is causing them a nice black eye on the internet tonight.

"Mobile first, cloud first" my ***. I'm getting really fed up. Either they want universal apps, or they don't. Windows 10 will be a crap shoot at launch.

I bet they will launch a universal Skype app, right? or integrate with messaging. 

Either they want universal apps, or they don't.

The desktop Skype is currently more usable on every level and the Universal app isn't going to be ready for launch.

So it's like 'well we can sour everyone on these apps or just cut it until we're actually ready...'

• Like 2

The desktop Skype is currently more usable on every level and the Universal app isn't going to be ready for launch.

So it's like 'well we can sour everyone on these apps or just cut it until we're actually ready...'

But why not leave the Modern app in the store until they are ready with Win 10 and the upgraded app

Now they are just taking an app away for no reason

The Skype Modern app is terrible on every level. Scrapping it is a great decision, that way they can integrate Skype into that sexy lookin Messenger app, and have the same features integrated into it would be awesome.

Is anyone else getting a bit uncomfortable with the state of Win10 this close to RTM? Edge is somewhat ridiculous and the UI is hardly consistent. I know a lot more will come as patches after RTM... but the first impression a lot of people getting these popups goading them into upgrading will definitely be something people will find any fault with.

Not really surprised tbh. I think we all knew when the release date was announced that judging by the state of the current builds things are going to be very unpolished. Just like with 8 it's going to take some time to mature with patches until we finally get a better result (8.1). In this case it's probably going to take until Redstone next year.

Login screen stopped allowing me to use my PIN and doesn't show the option to change to using it so I signed out and am using a local account without password.  Shutdown button randomly decides to stop working leading me to hold the power button to shut the system down.

Login screen stopped allowing me to use my PIN and doesn't show the option to change to using it so I signed out and am using a local account without password.  Shutdown button randomly decides to stop working leading me to hold the power button to shut the system down.

I've had trouble setting/using/changing a PIN in every single release of Win 10 so far

Edge is still crashing a lot for me. Every time I resize the window, it crashes and then when I reopen it's a tiny window again. Anyone else have this?