[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I think the 1 in the middle looks the worst.

I think the rounded edges make the other icons look undefined as a folder icon.

18666290260_65b9f928ae_o.png

I altered the icon to look like this. It goes with the rest of the icon theme I use. Most of the icons are slightly desaturated.

It's looking like the reason apps have had a locked grey title bar is because, like the onenote app, MS plans to extend the apps color all the way to the top, like the new office apps do as well.  I'm fine with that, if you don't do that then the title bar should use your chosen accent color though.

And coincidentally, they have done just that. All other three Office apps (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) have their titlebar color reflecting the header/Ribbon one. Not only that, but both the document name can be changed, and also the account name is on the right side of the titlebar, just before the window control buttons.

Besides this, it dynamically changes color based on the content. So in File menu mode the titlebar will turn white just like the window content, while the left side portion will cover the titlebar too.

PS. It's Word/Excel/PowerPoint Mobile Preview now.

And coincidentally, they have done just that. All other three Office apps (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) have their titlebar color reflecting the header/Ribbon one. Not only that, but both the document name can be changed, and also the account name is on the right side of the titlebar, just before the window control buttons.

Besides this, it dynamically changes color based on the content. So in File menu mode the titlebar will turn white just like the window content, while the left side portion will cover the titlebar too.

PS. It's Word/Excel/PowerPoint Mobile Preview now.

Where they updated and I missed something?

vL1KkWCG9LicUL0M-Region.png

If you go to the Store app you'll find that Music has yet another new icon.

Doesn't appear to install for me.

As long as the OS works as good or better than 8, it could have any icon, functionality is the key to productivity. (Y)

Anyone else have a feeling that the next release to insiders will be RTM?

Nope, because it won't be.

Oh yeah? And how would you know that?

Because Microsoft has been pushing out internal builds for testing to their people and I think we are expecting 10145 or higher to be pushed out to the Fast ring next. If they were in Escrow this wouldn't be going on right now, they would be going through final testing/sign-off.

Edit: Here's some info - https://twitter.com/ilovewindows10/status/610599724496760832

For anyone that actually bothers to keep up with the news of Windows 10, and not just pretend to, then you would know that Gabe Aul mentioned himself there would be more builds released leading up to RTM and also afterwards since the insider program will continue.

Been known about for a little while now. So there's no reason for the attitude you had with your post.

Gabe Aul's pretty open on his Twitter account regarding when builds are being looked at as a possible insider releases. It's where most people are getting their release info from when a build gets released or is about to be released.

• Like 2

For anyone that actually bothers to keep up with the news of Windows 10, and not just pretend to, then you would know that Gabe Aul mentioned himself there would be more builds released leading up to RTM and also afterwards since the insider program will continue.

Been known about for a little while now. So there's no reason for the attitude you had with your post.

Gabe Aul's pretty open on his Twitter account regarding when builds are being looked at as a possible insider releases. It's where most people are getting their release info from when a build gets released or is about to be released.

Jeez, you are being a little needlessly hostile aren't you? Go take your nerd attitude somewhere else.

Because Microsoft has been pushing out internal builds for testing to their people and I think we are expecting 10145 or higher to be pushed out to the Fast ring next. If they were in Escrow this wouldn't be going on right now, they would be going through final testing/sign-off.

Edit: Here's some info - https://twitter.com/ilovewindows10/status/610599724496760832

Thank you sir. Now that's a normal response.

Gabe mentioned at one point that the Edge branding would land in the preview build after the next preview build. So there are at least 2 more previews coming before RTM.

On the other hand, he said that the Edge branding was "now in internal rings", but back then, build 10143 (or something, could be 42 or 44), where the most recent builds. Meanwhile, build 10147 is now the closest candidate to be released to insiders. So it might be that they found the build they wanted to release not suitable and skipped it right into a build that does have the Edge branding. On the other hand, it isn't a given that because a 10147-build in one branch has the branding, that another has it too. It could still be called Project Spartan in the fbl_impressive branch.

Also, it is easy to track wheter or not we're heading for RTM. Every Windows-release always got a new branch for RTM builds. For Windows 8.1 this was winblue_rtm, for Windows 8 it was win8_rtm, for Windows 7 it was win7_rtm for Windows Vista it was vista_rtm. They might not do that this time around, but you can put your finger on it that they won't stay in the fbl_impressive branch for full releases, so at the moment the fbl_impressive branch dies out (or they spread an update that requests the branch Windows checks for to be changed), we're not  getting the "final build".

Another note is that builds are shipped when they are considered good enough for the public. Now that we're heading for stabilization of the code, more and more builds should be good enough for Insiders, especialy the Fast ring. So if any, we might expect a storm of new builds (unless Microsoft plans to have at least some days between flights, but on the other hand, after 10130, they did consider 10134 for release too).

And a final note: build 10147 is now in the OSG ring at Microsoft. If it has shifted to External by tomorrow morning European time, you can expect it to be released tomorrow evening (also European time).

Yeah good point about Edge. I was just thinking that since they announced a late July release and June is already half over they might be done pushing test builds to us.

Wish they would fix that damn 3D Builder stuck in the Windows Store, stupid thing just keeps updating each time and won't commit :/

Anyone else have a feeling that the next release to insiders will be RTM?

Nope, because it's way too buggy.

We'll get 10145 next, probably before the end of the month, and then I expect at least one more build after that before they go into escrow.

Nope, because it's way too buggy.

Yep the last build sure was.

We'll get 10145 next, probably before the end of the month, and then I expect at least one more build after that before they go into escrow.

No, we're not. There is no 10145 in the fbl_impressive branch and neither is it being tested by Microsofts internal rings. Most likely is it going to be 10147 or 10148, which both are being tested right now.