[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I'm running it on my main machine, not in a VM. :p Anyway, didn't get any activation warning either.

I'm having a blast, through. This version seems to work an aweful lot better then build 10130. No regrets here. Now onto the next official preview build.

I'm not 100% sure I trust the upgrade feature you get by just running the ISO, and I don't want to do a full reinstall. Also, is there any guarantee you will be able to actually upgrade past this build once an actual Insider release comes along?

Buuuut... now that I think about it, I do have all my data backed up in several different places... And I can roll back...

EDIT: Did this build not ask you to enter in a key? It did in my VM (twice, in fact) though I could just skip it.

I'm not 100% sure I trust the upgrade feature you get by just running the ISO, and I don't want to do a full reinstall. Also, is there any guarantee you will be able to actually upgrade past this build once an actual Insider release comes along?

Buuuut... now that I think about it, I do have all my data backed up in several different places... And I can roll back...

EDIT: Did this build not ask you to enter in a key? It did in my VM (twice, in fact) though I could just skip it.

Well, no, it didn't. When you upgrade, it just takes the key from your current Windows installation and you're good to go. No activation required. It honestly is an amazing build to run native. :)

Also, so far, every leaked build has been able to upgrade to the official Insider Preview (except for one that had a bug in the upgrade setup, but that was a bug, not ment to be like that).

Further, Edge has been much improved. This is the first build where I use Edge as my main browser.

RYhw56gAH5iwR892-Region.png

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum.

SySDHMekyB0Y583H-Region.png

Mail and calendar updates with new icons and ui updates

There's also a Note option in the action centre.

ONEoBlvPh90nH4u1-Region.png

Tablet mode now has a Power and all apps option right on the start screen.

By the look of the first screenshot, it would appear that, finally, they fixed the bug that prevented the calendar from showing Monday as the first day of the week :)

By the look of the first screenshot, it would appear that, finally, they fixed the bug that prevented the calendar from showing Monday as the first day of the week :)

About effin time. 

Microsoft Edge now has the ability to play videos in background and also to change default address bar search engine and password manager (sort off).

• Like 1

I got a network issue after update 10130....unidentified network, no internet access, also battery is draining very quickly. so i restored my previous build 10074

please help to upgrade successfully.

Build 10130 has the network bug....mine does it a lot...just reboot and you're good to go...usually see this on a start from a cold shut down....Cheers

No longer valid, but I suppose it doesn't overly matter. People are really only downloading this to see what's new in a VM, so it won't matter if it can't activate. The VM will probably survive for roughly an hour before being destroyed anyhow.

10147 is activated here (upgraded from 10130) - it did NOT autofix the NVidia-related driver issue that I had with 10130 (any NVidia driver faults/unloads with code 43).  One noticeable change from 10130 - the Edge browser now has its own icon (not the Project Spartan icon), and there are other new apps referred to in the OOBE (I haven't looked at those yet). If I can fix the NV driver woes, I can go exploring viz. the new apps.

Anyone know how to activate this build?

If you are running in a VM, try the same key from 10130 (I installed over 10130 and stayed activated - no prompting at all).  Did anyone manage to solve the NVidia driver issues (either with 10130 or this build) - any driver I have tried falls down with code 43 - that includes Windows 8's 356.12 hotfix driver for 8.x.  It is, in fact, the only issue I am having.

In reference to the (so far) lack of other issues, I mean it - in fact, 10147 is darn snappy compared to 10130, despite the driver issue.

Some crazy spacing in the start screen, according to Neowin screencaps :x

I hope they get their thing straight by the next month.

Some crazy spacing in the start screen, according to Neowin screencaps :x

I hope they get their thing straight by the next month.

That could just be due to the VM, I've seen a video of it installed on a Dell XPS 13 and it's not an issue, looks much like 8.1.

• Like 1

anyone knows why there are lines next to the icons in the start menu

The lines are progress bars. These apps are still installing (I think)

Edit: Ninja-ed by FrankB.

About effin time.

Indeed.

Folders on the start menu now feature icons.

CyVrO5qQh8ckvtxX-Region.png

Those new icons are pretty neat! :)

That could just be due to the VM, I've seen a video of it installed on a Dell XPS 13 and it's not an issue, looks much like 8.1.

Oh, Thank You!!!! Can't wait to the 29th. :woot:

DO NOT reset your phone if you've installed the latest build. If will ###### up everything, and you will have to roll back using the app. Now I do not have any phone or messaging functionality, Settings, or any way to do anything on the device. For flying crap's sake, how the flip do they even release such things in the public.

I am never touching this phone ###### again.

DO NOT reset your phone if you've installed the latest build. If will ###### up everything, and you will have to roll back using the app. Now I do not have any phone or messaging functionality, Settings, or any way to do anything on the device. For flying crap's sake, how the flip do they even release such things in the public.

as a beta tester, you should know that the software will be contain bugs

and nothing was released publicly, you opted in and chose to use the software, nobody forced you to install it.

• Like 1

The External ring has lost its 10134 build, which means another will have to take its place soon. We might get an official release today or tomorrow (build 10148 or higher, 10147 is not in any testring inside Microsoft anymore).

I ran into that problem the first time. I now have a "stable" clean Windows 10 mobile build on my Lumia 920. You should follow the phone thread.

Can anyone share the imageres.dll from the leaked 10147 build? I found the .ico files, but changing thme one by one isn't an option and icon changer duplicated some icons inside the .ico file.

Damn, some dude should automatically upload the new imageres.dll from any new build so I won't have to ask again and again and again for the new imageres.dll whenever a new build comes out. :p

Edit: nvm, I found a link in MDL that contains both imageres and shell32 files https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwZK7RUmQrtjY2xEOGxkZzhuLVk/view for anyone that wants/needs it.

Agreed. Except that Edge icon, it's horrible...

When i first saw the Edge icon i thought it was clever of Microsoft and modern. But in context, it just looks bad.

There was somewhere on promotional images a logo associated with Edge - almost same like Spartan but grid was more dense - bit like here:

39573529-globe-icon.jpg

I did reset mine and it went fine.  But yeah, I'm far more disappointed in the phone builds and plan to stick with 8.1 instead of wasting so much time.  I know they're further from launch so it's not really a shock, though.

There was somewhere on promotional images a logo associated with Edge - almost same like Spartan but grid was more dense - bit like here:

39573529-globe-icon.jpg

now this looks more like a gyroscope than a globe. I think both icons look terrible.