[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Did this thread somehow get moved? In my messenger the notifications aren't showing up here on the forums. Only 8 followers of this topic too.

Did this thread somehow get moved? In my messenger the notifications aren't showing up here on the forums. Only 8 followers of this topic too.

There was a small hiccup with a merger of another thread but it's still in the same place, it might have reset followers though.

Normally don't do this, but I found 10147 and am using it now. Extremely stable. No more sound issues, Cortana works, no more Edge crashes, very stable. Like the black Edge theme.

Normally don't do this, but I found 10147 and am using it now. Extremely stable. No more sound issues, Cortana works, no more Edge crashes, very stable. Like the black Edge theme.

There are many that find 10147 to be a very stable build, weird that Microsoft didn't release it. Gabe said that there was an issue (don't remember what it was anymore) with it, but for now, it appears to be more stable in general then any build before. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next build, it's always nicer to be on a supported piece of software and the next one will probably come early next week. The External ring has been empty for the past day, it could mean something.

If you read below you will see they won't work with the newer builds including 1074. 

Unless MS comes up with an exam for my MCSE focusing on 10 this September or October I am sticking with 8 on both my lab and host until the next 2 updates by next summer before it can be somewhat near ready.

Even Windows 8.1 is too flaky for my tests with requiring Windows Update repair on both my pc and surface. :-( The default update 1 is just too unstable compared to 7. 

It took Windows XP almost 3  years before it was considered God and best most stable OS by Service pack 2. MS fired their QA team and I would not be surprised if in the coming months you will see media reports of people crying and wanting 8.1 back on their systems, bugs, showstoppers, and other issues since QA and feature freezes still are not in the works this close to releasE??

Sorry to sound like a dark pessimist as I assure you I am not a troll. But I have seen MS take their time with releases like Windows 7 and Windows 2000 which at beta 1 was more stable than 10 right now. I have also seen things rushed like Windows 8 and WindowsME where it took a few years to fix them up. Windows 10 is heading towards the later from what I have seen so far.

Reading your other comments here and in other threads, I think a lot of your problems stem from the user. To say 8.1 is flaky compared to 8 is laughable at best and QA has not disappeared like you claim.

Also, why would you even attempt to use an OS that is not on the exams? That makes no sense. That would be like me using VS 2015 to finish up my MCSD, when the tests only cover 2012 and 2013.

There are many that find 10147 to be a very stable build, weird that Microsoft didn't release it. Gabe said that there was an issue (don't remember what it was anymore) with it, but for now, it appears to be more stable in general then any build before. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next build, it's always nicer to be on a supported piece of software and the next one will probably come early next week. The External ring has been empty for the past day, it could mean something.

My theory is it doesn't have the pre-req for Live accounts in place yet.

Or does it?

I think they copied that awesome feature from the Android notification center. 

"A new folder has been detected for sync: ..."

Did you try opening the notification center to see if you could read the whole thing?

First time I'm actually trying to achieve something in Win 10 and I've came across something that is driving me mad

<snip>

BECAUSE OF WHAT?!?!

I cannot for the life of my figure out what the rest of this message says and it's proving impossible to try and figure out why, am I missing something obvious here? Surely there is a way to read the rest of that message?

There may be something in the Event Viewer. Possibly. I'm not going to lie, I rarely ever actually go into that thing because the atrocious design of the entire Administration section of the control panel makes me want to kill myself so hard.

ybKrBdb.png

SCREW YOU, EVENT VIEWER!

To me, its the best build since 9841.

jfc the Store (beta) is an atrocity. Does Microsoft think we're all 8 years old? Why upon opening the Store I'm blasted with nothing but **** games? Where are all the productivity apps? Why do I have to dig for those? C'Mon Microsoft. Use your head. Your main users aren't kids.

post-420821-0-54840000-1434939916.png

• Like 2

jfc the Store (beta) is an atrocity. Does Microsoft think we're all 8 years old? Why upon opening the Store I'm blasted with nothing but **** games? Where are all the productivity apps? Why do I have to dig for those? C'Mon Microsoft. Use your head. Your main users aren't kids.

I highlighted the two areas that may interest you.

post-21852-0-37843500-1434940592.jpg

I highlighted the two areas that may interest you.

Right, but why upon launching the app, can I not see what I'm more interested in on Home? Windows users aren't 8 years old, they're not going to be interested in downloading "Frozen" crap, or silly children's games.

Where's Office? That should be front and center.

Windows Feedback?

Granted that I never really used the old "Store" much ... but weren't you also saturated with games and crud in that one?

I mean this doesn't look any better and hasn't it been that way since your beloved Windows 8?

post-21852-0-04172500-1434941453.jpg

Right, but why upon launching the app, can I not see what I'm more interested in on Home? Windows users aren't 8 years old, they're not going to be interested in downloading "Frozen" crap, or silly children's games.

:laugh: Well... it just so happens...

I just installed Windows 10 64bit 30 mins ago on an Dell Insprion 531s on an SSD ...I opened the Windows store. Was greeted with Frozen, and thought, lets test it. So that was the first game / app I downloaded.

Then I installed an old Dedicated graphics card. Opened the game back up and played a few rounds.

My guess is they put apps front and center which offer in app purchases

According to Microsoft, in-app purchases account for the main revenue source for monetizing apps, especially games. In fact, Games was the top category with over 40% of downloads during the month of January.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/fastest-growing-revenue-model-windows-store-app-purchases

But what about the 8-year-olds? Surely they're interested in the game. Or maybe adults are downloading it in droves for whatever reason and that's why it's there. Frozen was pretty popular across demographics, I hear.

:laugh: Well... it just so happens...

I just installed Windows 10 64bit 30 mins ago on an Dell Insprion 531s on an SSD ...I opened the Windows store. Was greeted with Frozen, and thought, lets test it. So that was the first game / app I downloaded.

Then I installed an old Dedicated graphics card. Opened the game back up and played a few rounds.

My guess is they put apps front and center which offer in app purchases

http://www.winbeta.org/news/fastest-growing-revenue-model-windows-store-app-purchases

How was the game?

How was the game?

It was ok, but it just started matching a lot of stuff and let me win for no reason what so ever.

Going back to Matrix complaining about Frozen being front and center on the Microsoft Store .....

1) Frozen is a billion dollar franchise, everyone knows it

2) It shows people something everyone recognizes ...."OOOOH Windows 10 store has Frozen ... they must be cool just like Android and iOS"

3) It has in app purchases. It MAKES MICROSOFT MONEY! A lot of money when you have people who use in app purchases, and apparently there are a lot of people that do.

Home section is for everything including games for the deals, popularity, etc..     Same thing on Neowin... on the main page which you hate some of things on it... they have options for you to hide or choose what you want to read.  

They have tabs above for you choose... such as games, apps,

Apple does the same thing on their App Store that they have games on front page of the store....   I have not heard any complaints about it....   only you for Windows store.

adults can use categories and search. 8 year olds can't. I guess they haven't started personalizing store yet.

adults can use categories and search. 8 year olds can't. I guess they haven't started personalizing store yet.

I bet 8 year old can figure out and do more things in the store, then an average adult can.

Over time the more you use the store, the more searching and app installs you do, the more it should tailor what it shows you on the home screen for it.  As far as to start though, it's no secret that games are the top selling items in every app store, I'm sure if you check in Apples and Googles and eve Amazons app stores it'll be games followed by apps for media (music and video apps). 

There may be something in the Event Viewer. Possibly. I'm not going to lie, I rarely ever actually go into that thing because the atrocious design of the entire Administration section of the control panel makes me want to kill myself so hard.

ybKrBdb.png

SCREW YOU, EVENT VIEWER!

I don't mind Event Viewer to be honest, I have looked and couldn't find anything under Application or System events so unless its buried deep under the 100's of MS events I couldn't see anything. I've since decided to rebuild the VM as the ISO I used was older and then upgraded whereas this time I'm using the latest build. Not quite played enough but I'm getting a slightly different issue this time so hopefully I'll get round it.

I don't mind Event Viewer to be honest, I have looked and couldn't find anything under Application or System events so unless its buried deep under the 100's of MS events I couldn't see anything. I've since decided to rebuild the VM as the ISO I used was older and then upgraded whereas this time I'm using the latest build. Not quite played enough but I'm getting a slightly different issue this time so hopefully I'll get round it.

Fixed - Just installed the Tech Preview two of SCEP and it went in fine, not massively surprised considering 10 is still not released.

Well My store has 2 games and 1 app on the front top, and my "suggested for you" are mostly non-games. They also all have a short description underneath about why they are suggested to me. 

I would say the personalizing is in place.

First time I'm actually trying to achieve something in Win 10 and I've came across something that is driving me mad

jkWcQzn.png

BECAUSE OF WHAT?!?!

I cannot for the life of my figure out what the rest of this message says and it's proving impossible to try and figure out why, am I missing something obvious here? Surely there is a way to read the rest of that message?

I've seen that on Windows 8 before, I believe the message would have told you the app you are installing is incompatible and would case issues, so its been blocked from installing.

At a guess you likely need Forefront 2012 for Windows 10.