[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Are we expecting a new build today? Or is it to early in the week for that?

I'm ready to try something else then 10130 :)

Are we expecting a new build today? Or is it to early in the week for that?

I'm ready to try something else then 10130 :)

I don't think there will be a build today, trough it is most likely that there will be a build this week. Expect build 10151 or higher.

I've seen that on Windows 8 before, I believe the message would have told you the app you are installing is incompatible and would case issues, so its been blocked from installing.

At a guess you likely need Forefront 2012 for Windows 10.

Happy Birthday, Nutter!  :fun:

• Like 1

Happy Birthday, Nutter!  :fun:

Thanks very much, the force is with me today!

Anyone know why the keyboards in Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile are still different? I would much rather have the WP keyboard on my Windows 10 tablet.

i'm currently running a VM w/ the Preview. I have not noticed the 'offer' to upgrade to the full version as i did on my 8.1 laptop. Is this b/c the Preview doesnt show the offer at all, or b/c i dont have a linked MS account on the VM?

^ no the preview doesn't show the offer

Thanks. I read up a bit more about it this morning. Apparently MS will upgrade to a 'full' version but it wont be exactly the same as a retail copy - something like that.

Next question - i did the upgrade offer on my 8.1 laptop and received a confirmation email from MS. How, though, do i upgrade my other 8.1 devices? Is the offer limited to a single email account and/or MS account? How do other 8.1 devices, not linked to a MS acct, get the free upgrade?

I just read on Facebook that MS is NOT giving free upgrades to 10 for insiders. Really shows their appreciation for FREE beta testing. Looks like I'm definitely waiting until they go gold and then just clean installing Windows 8.1 and installing the upgrade app. Pretty sad that they give free upgrades to people who know nothing about computers and make it difficult for those of us who have been beta testing for months and providing feedback.

I just read on Facebook that MS is NOT giving free upgrades to 10 for insiders. Really shows their appreciation for FREE beta testing. Looks like I'm definitely waiting until they go gold and then just clean installing Windows 8.1 and installing the upgrade app. Pretty sad that they give free upgrades to people who know nothing about computers and make it difficult for those of us who have been beta testing for months and providing feedback.

I don't understand where all the entitlement comes from. I played around with Beta software so now I need to get it for free? Why?

If you have a legal version of Win 7 or 8.x you will get a free copy anyway, why do you want more free copies? Or are you telling me that you don't own a legal copy of a recent version of Windows?

If you want to keep beta testing you just leave the current version of Win 10 on your pc, it will be upgraded to the RTM, the only thing you won't be able to do is opt out of the Insider program

• Like 3

Just got a notification for this...New Nvidia driver

http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/86646/nvidiaupdate

353.30 is the new driver (downloaded/installed yesterday).

It's another triple - a Game-Ready driver (Batman: Arkham Knight), WHQL (signed) and Windows 10 IP driver.

Outside of improvements directed at B:AK (and similar games), for Insiders, this driver adds support for more GPUs (all the way down to GT/GTX5xx) with a WDDM 1.3 add-on for the newly-supported - therefore, far fewer need to mod their drivers.  One bug - the installer may hang when installing over a modded or Windows 8.x driver (the driver WILL still install).

I don't understand where all the entitlement comes from. I played around with Beta software so now I need to get it for free? Why?

If you have a legal version of Win 7 or 8.x you will get a free copy anyway, why do you want more free copies? Or are you telling me that you don't own a legal copy of a recent version of Windows?

If you want to keep beta testing you just leave the current version of Win 10 on your pc, it will be upgraded to the RTM, the only thing you won't be able to do is opt out of the Insider program

Because it makes no sense. They themselves said that they want Windows 10 in the hands of as many people as possible and are even making the free upgrade possible on pirated versions of Windows. Why would they cater to known pirates but not people who beta tested their OS?

I have always owned fully licensed copies of MS OS's. If you're an insider, why can't they just give some kind of serial number verification for the free upgrade? Why would they just leaves us out in the lurch?

I guess it's not a huge deal, because I can just clean install Windows 8.1 when they go RTM and then just be set for the upgrade when it's avilable.

Well, if you want a free Windows installation, just stick with the Windows Insider Preview, as long as you do, you do get a legal activated version, but of course, it is unstable. This is just to prevent people from buying a PC without Windows that then throw a version of Windows 10 on it. Surely all these beta testers must have at least Windows 7 or 8, and thus get a free version anyway.

Because it makes no sense. They themselves said that they want Windows 10 in the hands of as many people as possible and are even making the free upgrade possible on pirated versions of Windows. Why would they cater to known pirates but not people who beta tested their OS?

I have always owned fully licensed copies of MS OS's. If you're an insider, why can't they just give some kind of serial number verification for the free upgrade? Why would they just leaves us out in the lurch?

I guess it's not a huge deal, because I can just clean install Windows 8.1 when they go RTM and then just be set for the upgrade when it's avilable.

Pirated versions of Windows can indeed be upgraded to Windows 10, but it doesn't make it legal, it's still a pirated version. Pirates don't get a free version of Windows 10. Microsoft also provides update to pirated versions of Windows, so what's the big deal. It's business as usual.

Where did you get that info from? Pirated versions will not get a free version of Win 10!

I just don't understand why you want yet another free version of windows if you have legit copies to upgrade from. Seems a bit greedy.

Where did you get that info from? Pirated versions will not get a free version of Win 10!

I just don't understand why you want yet another free version of windows if you have legit copies to upgrade from. Seems a bit greedy.

Anyone who has installed the preview version and reported bugs to MS is doing the job of a software tester (which is quite a highly paid job tbh, I've done it before), to maybe expect some gratitude at the end of that is not greedy, it's sensible and would go along with the whole approach MS has been showing for Windows 10.

I tested Windows 7 and we were given a free Pro license when that was released so the idea has some precedence.

Although, yeah, a pirated version of Windows 7/8 won't be updated to a legit, activated copy of Windows 10, they'll have the same message on the desktop and the same restrictions which will be removed if you enter a legit key or upgrade with a full install. I'm guessing the same old SLIC technique for activating Windows is still probably going to work for people who work it out.

• Like 1

FB is bullcrap.

Gabe Aul said we Insiders can upgrade to RTM from preview for free as long as you have an registered MSA that you signed up with. Free lifetime upgrades on same device you signed up for that device..

Anyone who has installed the preview version and reported bugs to MS is doing the job of a software tester (which is quite a highly paid job tbh, I've done it before), to maybe expect some gratitude at the end of that is not greedy, it's sensible and would go along with the whole approach MS has been showing for Windows 10.

I tested Windows 7 and we were given a free Pro license when that was released so the idea has some precedence.

Although, yeah, a pirated version of Windows 7/8 won't be updated to a legit, activated copy of Windows 10, they'll have the same message on the desktop and the same restrictions which will be removed if you enter a legit key or upgrade with a full install. I'm guessing the same old SLIC technique for activating Windows is still probably going to work for people who work it out.

I think I saw the article here about pirated versions. I thought it was weird too but that's what they said. I'll see if I can find it. I'm not some freeloader who wants everything for free. MS are the ones who said it was a free upgrade.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898668/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-software-pirates-too.html

If they are giving it away for free to everyone, even "non genuine" copies why would insiders not get the free upgrade? Makes very little sense to me. Everyone testing Windows 10 has either a valid license or a "non genuine" copy. Mac OS Yosemite was a free upgrade to everyone. I beta test for my $20,000 embroidery digitizing software and they give me a free copy for beta testing.

FB is bullcrap.

Gabe Aul said we Insiders can upgrade to RTM from preview for free as long as you have an registered MSA that you signed up with. Free lifetime upgrades on same device you signed up for that device..

It's from Gizmodo:

http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-finally-decides-no-free-windows-10-for-beta-1713251432?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

No, they're not. They're giving it to you in the from of a FREE upgrade to your Windows 7 or 8.1 license.

I'd you upgrade a clean install of 10, worth no previous license, you'll remain on the Insider program, and will be pushed pre release builds like you are now. You'll need to upgrade those builds, as they are time bombed.

I have a question about Windows 10 I just thought of. Now if you already have a Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8 Pro license you can install that copy on any PC you want as long as it's only on one device. Now on the Windows 10 site the wording says you can upgrade to Windows 10 on that device, so does that mean you lose the ability to install your Windows 7 or 8 on any other device you might buy in the future and you also can't install Windows 10 on any other device in the future....now, is that such a good "offer" ?

The Windows 10 site for reference : https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq?OCID=EDUCATION_SOC_TW_ORGANIC_FAQ

What are the basic facts of the Windows 10 upgrade?

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

No, they're not. They're giving it to you in the from of a FREE upgrade to your Windows 7 or 8.1 license.

Yes. Free upgrade to Insiders as long as you have MSA account you signed up with..  as long as you have same device for lifetime upgrades on it.

I have a question about Windows 10 I just thought of. Now if you already have a Windows 7 Pro or Windows 8 Pro license you can install that copy on any PC you want as long as it's only on one device. Now on the Windows 10 site the wording says you can upgrade to Windows 10 on that device, so does that mean you lose the ability to install your Windows 7 or 8 on any other device you might buy in the future

Yes. You're upgrading the 7/8.1 key.

Yes. Free upgrade to Insiders as long as you have MSA account you signed up with.. as long as you have same device for lifetime upgrades on it.

No. If you upgrade without any prior key, you'll remain in the insider program, and be pushed pre release builds like you are now. If you opt out, you'll fall under normal activation procedures. You'll need to upgrade your 7 or 8.1 install, or buy a new Windows 10 key.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-insider-program-is-not-a-free-upgrade-path-for-xp-users-to-windows-10

Yes. You're upgrading the 7/8.1 key.

Not really a great "offer" then? Losing the ability to take your Windows 7/8 along with you through all the PCs you build for the ability to have Windows 10 on one PC and never again.